Sponsored by: DP Tuner

The rebuild of my SD!

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2014, 09:29 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by tshrager
Haven't seen you in the OBS section in a while Chris. Had to come up here to smoke you out!
Haven't been on as much lately. Got a frustrating issue where I'm having to scroll right and left to read a post. That gets old and I get fed up so I just don't hang around as much.

I like the text a little on the large side, but for some reason FTE doesn't want to cooperate with me.

Old 02-15-2014, 11:17 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks for the compliments guys and for the info on the Firestone bags. I'll check those out. I'll probably wait to do those until I get a plan in place for on board air. This truck eventually needs to be biased towards being a tow truck and a pit truck at the track. I don't have an enclosed trailer or anything terribly fancy for my tools to stay in and I always find myself in the middle of nowhere working on someone else's truck. So I want to have an on board air system large enough to efficiently run a 1/2" impact. If I have to let it refill here and there, that's fine. I just want to be able to take several lug nuts off or get several bell housing bolts out before having to stop for a few seconds. Right now I'm just focused on getting it back and making sure it can get out of its own way. Driving a stock injector/stock turbo truck is for the birds. I can't take it anymore. Especially after going back to my OBS and this rental truck for a little while. Lol

I talked to DJ today. Apparently he got motivated and is working on it through the weekend. He hopes to have it in paint on Monday. We'll see. He got the cab corner welded in today and should be doing the outer bedside and debadging tomorrow. I'll know more Monday when I go look at it.

Bill, the only reason I can't convince myself to do an '05 swap is simply because everyone else does it. I'll make up my mind once I look at it for awhile with the '03 lights.

Old 02-16-2014, 06:05 AM
Supercab
Lead Driver

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
You will like the '02-'04 Headlights much more than the '05-'07s because they put out better light......there have been several members here that did the '05s and weren't happy with the light output.
I did the '04s in my '99 and installed Sylvania SilverStar bulbs and am very happy with this setup......might try the SS "Ultras" next time though.
I also did the clear side/turn lights from the '04......

Old 02-16-2014, 06:34 AM
kefrko
Tuned
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Supercab
You will like the '02-'04 Headlights much more than the '05-'07s because they put out better light......there have been several members here that did the '05s and weren't happy with the light output. I did the '04s in my '99 and installed Sylvania SilverStar bulbs and am very happy with this setup......might try the SS "Ultras" next time though. I also did the clear side/turn lights from the '04......
Did you upgrade your headlight wiring harness too? Or just the lights/bulbs?

Old 02-16-2014, 11:19 AM
ReBilld
Hotshot
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by strokin'_tatsch

Bill, the only reason I can't convince myself to do an '05 swap is simply because everyone else does it. I'll make up my mind once I look at it for awhile with the '03 lights.
I think it will look fine with the '03 lights. You are leaving the Ranch Hand on it.......right???

Old 02-16-2014, 11:26 AM
fordman67
Hotshot
Received 398 Likes on 269 Posts
Its looking great. Glad its fixable.

The patients are running the asylum! Lol

Old 02-16-2014, 01:26 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by ReBilld

I think it will look fine with the '03 lights. You are leaving the Ranch Hand on it.......right???
For now I am. I want to get ahold of a cheap stock bumper one day and compare them.

Hopefully I'm content with the '03 lights. My wallet can't handle too much more of me changing my mind. Lol

Old 02-16-2014, 01:41 PM
Dan V
Lead Driver
Received 579 Likes on 374 Posts
Originally Posted by F350-6
The firestone kit for the airbags goes on the inboard side of the frame. You can put the airlift set on the outside of the frame if you don't mind doing a little cutting, welding and drilling.
I have Firestones mount outside the rails, but I don't have the overload leaf nor a B&W hitch.

Old 02-16-2014, 06:10 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by strokin'_tatsch
For now I am. I want to get ahold of a cheap stock bumper one day and compare them.

Hopefully I'm content with the '03 lights. My wallet can't handle too much more of me changing my mind. Lol
What's cheap? I know of one that has a marinco plug in it.

Originally Posted by Dan V
I have Firestones mount outside the rails, but I don't have the overload leaf nor a B&W hitch.
The B&W hitch is the difference.

Old 02-16-2014, 07:45 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend

What's cheap? I know of one that has a marinco plug in it.

I haven't looked to see what they go for. I'm sure they go for around $200 though don't they?

Old 02-17-2014, 04:36 AM
River19
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good looking rig......I still can't fathom how a Dmax was totaled and you have only bent sheet metal.....must have been a one in a million hit on the Dmax....

Can't wait to see what your build turns out to look like.

Old 02-17-2014, 07:34 AM
Dan V
Lead Driver
Received 579 Likes on 374 Posts

I've seen the carnage on the inboard mounts (Firestone) that can be done by a big slide in camper, so maybe another maker has a better solution.

Old 02-17-2014, 08:21 AM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by River19
Good looking rig......I still can't fathom how a Dmax was totaled and you have only bent sheet metal.....must have been a one in a million hit on the Dmax....

Can't wait to see what your build turns out to look like.
I should have explained that further. Lol. The roads were iced over and he locked up his brakes. He ran into the back passneger side corner of a 2013 F-150 with the front of his truck, spun around and hit my truck with the back of his truck. The F-150 took out his front bumper, grille, possibly radiator (coolant was running out of his truck. I didn't look to see where from), a fender, headlights, and busted one of his wheels. My truck got his back bumper, tailgate, tail lights, and bed.

Edit- My little bit of sheet metal damage was only $500 from totalling the truck. Lol.

Old 02-17-2014, 10:04 AM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
I'm at the body shop now. They just took the cowl hood back off before I got here. They almost have it ready for some paint.

Old 02-17-2014, 10:54 AM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 126 Likes on 104 Posts
A guy doesn't realize how much work is involved until you actually see it. Looking good Travis!

Quick Reply: The rebuild of my SD!