1957 - 1960 F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Box Style Ford Trucks

Putting a 400 in a 1960 f100

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 09:06 AM
Alex60F100
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone have any input on the radiator I'm thinking of getting? And also can some one give me an idea how to run the trans cooler lines? Where not to have them go by. Should I run lines down the driver side and have them go over the trans or on the passenger side and to the input and output. Which is the input and the output? I plan on just running the trans cooler lines to the radiator. And then later on if that's not sufficient cooling I will get an external cooler and have it run thru the both since now this project has turned into a pay check by pay check project.

Alex

Old 03-02-2014, 09:57 AM
Alex60F100
Junior User
Anyone have any input on the trans cooler lines and the radiator and how i want to run them? good idea bad idea?
Alex

Old 03-02-2014, 01:33 PM
Danleig
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My tube bending skills are marginal, so I'm opting for the shortest distance. Since the ports on the trans and the radiator are all on the passenger side I'm going to run the lines that way.

If you contact the radiator company they'll be able to tell you what kind of HP that one can handle, and other than physical accommodation, that's really your biggest concern.

Old 03-12-2014, 10:38 AM
Alex60F100
Junior User
Alright now, i have a question, im still waiting on my radiator, i should be doing the swap this weekend or next depending on when i will be getting it. But my question is what size are the inlet, outlet on the trans for the trans cooler. I found a kit that comes with everything you need to do the lines your self at home and it come with 1/4 npt fittings for in the trans is that the right size or no.

Alex

Old 03-12-2014, 08:01 PM
manglass
More Turbo
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Alex60F100
Alright now, i have a question, im still waiting on my radiator, i should be doing the swap this weekend or next depending on when i will be getting it. But my question is what size are the inlet, outlet on the trans for the trans cooler. I found a kit that comes with everything you need to do the lines your self at home and it come with 1/4 npt fittings for in the trans is that the right size or no.

Alex
I believe 1/4 NPT is correct into the transmission. The fittings should be adapters to 5/16 flared tubing connectors. I would expect to have 5/16 flare connectors at the radiator but some used the same adapters there too.

The lines normally run up the right inside of the frame to the radiator.

Lou Manglass

Old 03-20-2014, 08:37 PM
Danleig
Senior User
Originally Posted by Alex60F100

Alex
Hey Alex, how did the installation go, and did you get that line kit? I need a radiator too and I'm hoping the one you chose goes in easily.

Old 03-21-2014, 03:11 AM
walkee
Senior User
Donīt know why but havenīt noticed this thread until right now. Just skimmed over the 5 pages and seems youīve got a lot of response already.

Alex, I have a 400 with C6 in my ī60 F100, too. The truck came with it many years ago but I did a lot to make it look good. If you have any question please tell me or PM me, I have a lot of pics.

As for the headers the fit is tight. I used a set of Sanderson hugger headers and felt good with them. Gonna read the whole thread later and see what of your problems are solved already.

Cheers, Tom

Old 03-21-2014, 11:58 AM
Alex60F100
Junior User
Originally Posted by walkee
Donīt know why but havenīt noticed this thread until right now. Just skimmed over the 5 pages and seems youīve got a lot of response already.

Alex, I have a 400 with C6 in my ī60 F100, too. The truck came with it many years ago but I did a lot to make it look good. If you have any question please tell me or PM me, I have a lot of pics.

As for the headers the fit is tight. I used a set of Sanderson hugger headers and felt good with them. Gonna read the whole thread later and see what of your problems are solved already.

Cheers, Tom
Sounds good tom. Should be doing the swap this weekend. If I have any question I will post them up.
Thanks Alex

Old 03-22-2014, 05:11 PM
Alex60F100
Junior User
Well i tore into the truck today got the 223 torn out in a record time of almost 2 hours haha. Well when i went to put the new motor in i was looking at the motor mounts i got from speedway motors, made for my motor but doesn't work. The mounts on the motor measure 19in from the center to the center. the mount i ordered measures 17in from center to center. So now i have no vehicle because i messed up with my measurements the first time when the motor was on the ground.

So my question is does anyone know of a company that makes motor mounts for the 400 motor that can bolt in and are almost exactly like this but bigger.

ford 400 motor mounts from Speedway Motors, America's Oldest Speed Shop

Thanks for the help. Alex

Old 03-22-2014, 05:18 PM
Alex60F100
Junior User
Here are photos to prove it happened we all know we love pictures.

Thanks for looking Alex

Any help will be appreciated

Old 03-23-2014, 09:35 AM
walkee
Senior User
Try Sacramento Vintage, No. 12093-2

Sacramento Vintage Ford

Specs say itīs 16" center-to-center .. maybe you check your measurements ? BTW, I fabbed the motor mounts by myself while doing a M II front end conversion.

Watch for the right position of engine and trans in height, because the 400 plus C6 are a long train and trans bellhouse might get in touch with the cab.

Old 03-23-2014, 10:27 AM
Alex60F100
Junior User
Originally Posted by walkee
Try Sacramento Vintage, No. 12093-2

Sacramento Vintage Ford

Specs say itīs 16" center-to-center .. maybe you check your measurements ? BTW, I fabbed the motor mounts by myself while doing a M II front end conversion.

Watch for the right position of engine and trans in height, because the 400 plus C6 are a long train and trans bellhouse might get in touch with the cab.
So i don't know if you have the short tail shaft c6 or the long tail shaft c6 like me 17" long tailshaft. But i was wondering how long of a drive shaft you have under your truck. From measuring multiable times it looks like i will have to cut almost 32+ inches of of the drive shaft to make it all fit. The question is How long is your tailshaft? the 13" one or the 17" one. Then how long is you drive shaft? Is there a company that sells shortened drive shafts or would i be better off having mine shortened by a professional?

Thanks Alex

I can get measurements of it all if needed

Old 03-23-2014, 10:39 AM
Danleig
Senior User
Definitely a long tailshaft.
You're better off taking your existing driveshaft and having it cut & balanced, be sure to take the transmission output yoke with you so when the driveshaft is modified the guy can give you the correct U-joints at the same time. I ended up with the stock U-joint in the back with a mid-80s Ford U-joint up front due to the different cup size between the yoke and driveshaft.

Old 03-23-2014, 11:38 AM
walkee
Senior User
Well, not really sure whether itīs a short or long tailshaft, guess itīs the long one, please see pic ...
Measurement of drive shaft will last a bit as the truck is not at my home at present.

Mr. Danleigh said everything to adapting the driveshaft. When I got my truck the drive shaft was only cut and welded. On my first drive-out with more than 40 mph the shaft broke due to imbalance. So let this be done by a professional.

Old 03-23-2014, 03:16 PM
Alex60F100
Junior User
Steering wheel puller broke my steering wheel. I need to still remove it and it still wont budge. I tried the way with putting bolts in the threaded holes, those pulled right out also tried the hooks and it still wont come out. Am i missing something? Please help i am at a loss and very frustrated right now.
Thanks Alex

Quick Reply: Putting a 400 in a 1960 f100