6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Towing questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 03:01 PM
billbot
More Turbo
Received 36 Likes on 16 Posts
Towing questions

Recently traded in our TT for a 5th wheel, had it out this past weekend for our first trip. I was amazed at how well the 5th wheel towed in comparison to the bumper pull. Have a few questions about towing this kind of trailer though

My mileage really was poor. Like 10.5-11mpg on flat ground at 60mph. I realize the profile is much higher and there's lot of wind resistance but if its that bad on flat ground I can't imagine pulling through mountains. The trailer is 11k fully loaded, old trailer was 6.5-7k so bit of a difference there. I was getting 13mpg towing 60-65 before.

The factory tow mirrors were not wide enough to see the back of the trailer. They were fully extended. Is there an aftermarket solution? With my prior truck (05 F150) I used slip on mirror extensions, they were very nice. The front of the 5th wheel is wider, and with the short bed it must be too close to the mirrors. I didn't like towing like that, and had a hard time backing up blindly.

One more question, I know its been asked a thousand times but what is the general consensus on using turbo braking with an SCT tow tune? Just anticipating for going down grades. The old trailer did fine using tow/haul I could hold 55 and tap the brakes now and again but I don't think I'll be able to control it so easily with this trailer.

Oops one more question what about turning the fan on at a lower temp, thinking I may need that in the summer.

Old 02-11-2014, 03:16 PM
mhoefer
Postmaster
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Your mirrors slide out another 3 - 4 inches on the two bars, that hold them out. Its hard to pull them and knock them back, pretty sure you dont have em out all the way.... they are great tow mirrors, when fully extended.

Old 02-11-2014, 05:47 PM
amdriven2liv
I'm hitting easy street

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
I added bigger spot mirrors on mine.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...s-added-2.html

https://www.qwks.com/home.php

The big front of the trailer is going to get you every time. Can't see how to get much better than that for milage.

I use a unlimited tow tune from Matt when towing the trailer. Fan comes on just fine.

There is a thread somewhere that you can wire a switch for the fan.

Old 02-11-2014, 07:05 PM
bigredtruckmi
Lead Driver
Received 218 Likes on 50 Posts
We did this last summer what you did. Went from a 30 ft tt to a 40 ft fifth wheel. Boy what a difference. And yes the fuel mileage does go south the way you described. I believe you don't have the mirrors all the way out. As we can see all the way down the sides of the fifth wheel. Yes ours weighs 12000 and is 12.5 ft high. We have a canyon trail Aztec edition with 4 slides. It has been dubbed the penthouse on wheels by more than one friend. Enjoy
We are going to add air bags this spring if it ever gets here. -5 tomorrow morning.

You can see the setup in the small picture

Old 02-11-2014, 07:47 PM
klbrown
Tuned
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I have a 32ft 5er, tops out at about 14+K. Worst I've gotten is 8.5 mpg, but overall average is 10 - 10.5 mpg. Totally stock tune wise.

Old 02-11-2014, 09:10 PM
maxum96
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
30" 5th wheel 9,500 lbs and I get around 10 mpg. And I tow through the Rocky Mountains here in Colorado. Sometimes I double tow with my Harley loaded on a motorcycle trailer.

Old 02-11-2014, 10:45 PM
billbot
More Turbo
Thanks a lot I really appreciate all the feedback. Thought I was going crazy about the mileage. I honestly hadn't even considered it, but a fellow camper I was talking with who had a very similar trailer was asking me what mileage I got. I told him it was too soon to tell, the campground was like 15-20 miles from home. He said he gets 11 and only goes 55mph. That was with a 5.9 cummins so I guess 11 at 60 is better right?

I will be ordering some of those cbetr mirrors, very nice idea for towing. Thanks for that info and link. I did check my mirrors and they were out all the way. Maybe it is the way the front cap is made.

You guys with the bigger trailers are making me jealous. I didn't realize how nicely 5ers tow and might have considered something a little bigger.

Old 02-11-2014, 11:25 PM
olfordsnstone
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Bigger is nice, for sure... For a while.

But keep in mind that you will become more and more limited on where you are able to go. My brother in law upgraded from his smaller class A motorhome to some freaking huge castle of a motorhome. At first, they were very happy with it. Then they started having problems getting into some of their favorite campgrounds, getting turned away. Now they hate the thing and can't get rid of it because nobody wants anything that big. Just a thought to consider.

We have a 33 foot fifth wheel with three slides. It is the smallest length fiver that you can get with 3 slides, as far as I know of. Once in a while I consider breaking down and getting something bigger. Then I remember the lesson I should be learning from other's experience and find ours is just fine for our use... For your use, it's your call. Just sharing a thought to consider.

Old 02-11-2014, 11:27 PM
mhoefer
Postmaster
You must not have the tow mirrors, cbetr are not as good as the stock ford towing mirrors. When they are slid out all the way, you still have a lower convex and a power mirror with inside controls. Do you just have the little ones tight to the windows, or the ones on two bars?

As for running the fan sooner, that's more complicated and have not seen how you can easily wire into the fan control. Fan comes on low at Around 205 f, medium 212, high at about 217 f. It controls the viscous coupling, via FVAR, if you have a scangauge you can monitor it. I would not think you need to mess with this.

Tow tunes can maximize use of engine braking through the turbo and the transmission, but it's not going to hold back as much as other breaking like a true Pacbrake. That being said, the tunes can give you decent holdback.

Old 02-12-2014, 12:16 AM
billbot
More Turbo
Oldfordnstone thanks for the reminder. We kind of set our limits in the beginning of the "search" and that was one reason, I was mostly commenting on how nice the dang thing tows. Funny story.

mhoefer I have the factory trailer tow mirrors as you described. I just checked the specs on our trailer, it is 102" wide. Some are not that wide, so I'm sure that is blocking some of the view up front.

What I was getting at on the tunes is having the fan turn on at a lower temp by way of programming. I understand it can be set if desired, just kind of wanted to see if it was all that necessary from those of you that are more experienced towing heavier trailers.

I e-mailed Gearhead and they recommended an unlimited tow tune. They do not offer turbo braking, which says a lot to me so I think I'm just going to have to do without it. I guess the pacbrake is the same idea, restricting exhaust and all.

Old 02-12-2014, 09:56 AM
mhoefer
Postmaster
That is a wider trailer. Hmm. As for the tow tune, check out others for max braking with tow/haul engaged. It won't be as much hold back as Pacbrake, but pretty good if you drive it right. Sounds like you are already used to doing that, so it should work good for you. The heavier trailer will push you more, but that will make the braking better, as I find it works best at higher RPMs.

Old 02-12-2014, 06:36 PM
bigredtruckmi
Lead Driver
Received 218 Likes on 50 Posts
102 wide. Might want to check the max width in the states you travel. There are several with max 96.

Old 02-12-2014, 07:50 PM
billbot
More Turbo
I'm in CA, we mostly stick to interstates and state Hwys.

Here's some info on wider rvs

Two-Lane Roads Quarterly - Widebody RV caution

Old 02-13-2014, 12:40 AM
lupuseven
YouTube Certified Mech
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by billbot
I'm in CA, we mostly stick to interstates and state Hwys.

Here's some info on wider rvs

Two-Lane Roads Quarterly - Widebody RV caution
Interesting read, thanks for sharing!
******** charset="UTF-8" src="chrome://hdv/content/hdv.js" type="application/javascript">*********>

Old 02-13-2014, 03:33 PM
kirbybear
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04 F350 DRW towing 14,500 5th. 125,000 miles average 10 to 10.7 towing.

Quick Reply: Towing questions