Tennessee Chapter Join Chapter Leader: harleymsn

Gas station to avoid near Glenn Springs Lake

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 06:29 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Gas station to avoid near Glenn Springs Lake

A friend of mine demonstrated this to me this evening (and he was HOT too!)

The guy bought a gallon of gas for his chain saw this morning at the gas station and bait shop at the south end of Glenn Springs Road, where a lot of fishermen and boaters stop to get fuel and stuff.

By this afternoon, that one gallon container (which was clean, empty, and dry when filled) had AN INCH OF ICE in the bottom of it - and gasoline doesn't freeze!

I SAW IT - there was the equivalent of a whole tray of ice cubes in that thing, Ron showed it to me to prove the point.

This means there is way over an acceptable level of contaminents in that stations fuels - and I wondered why a four stroke trimmer of mine had the carb completely ruined on it! That was where I was getting gas too.

I wouldn't use their gas to start a fire...

I knew their tanks had been in the ground since the fifties, but DANG

He had just got back from taking the container to show it to the counter guy at the gas station - who copped an immediate attitude and said:
"You're not supposed to use methanol gas in small engines..."

~I've got news, methanol is for one thing supposed to combine with water and make it burnable, thereby cleaning out a fuel tank. And Ronnie (my friend) isn't dumb enough to run methanol in any amount in a chainsaw. The whole thing stinks...

Half the time at least one of their pumps is out of commission anyway.

It's just a real bad situation.

I would avoid the place even in an emergency

The Lake House has much better prices for bait in season anyway - and a lot more fishing tackle if you need it. It doesn't sell BEER, but beer and boats are a dumb combination, not to mention alcoholic beverages are not allowed at Glenn Springs Lake period.

About a mile east on the Munford-Drummonds road is a much newer station, with brand name fuels. You don't need to put your expensive equipment at risk.

And outboards - especially big Mercuries - are a huge investment

Old 05-07-2014, 07:55 AM
Green Griffin 420
Senior User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the heads up. I only buy non ethanol gas anyway. You may not have a station near you, but you can check on pure-gas.org. Big list of non ethanol stations across the country.