Tennessee Chapter Join Chapter Leader: harleymsn

2014 Garden Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 05:37 PM
maples01
Logistics Pro
Received 89 Likes on 85 Posts
Weather will have the nighttime temps in the 40's the next few days.

Old 05-14-2014, 08:05 AM
macgiobuin
Cargo Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The weather is going to be interesting today & tonight...

I welcome the cooler temps, but not sure my garden will. Shouldn't hurt anything though.

Old 05-14-2014, 04:12 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I love it! For two nights I have had windows open and at times a box fan in one of them to draw fresh air all through the place. It's wonderful...

Also I noted a LOT of flower and humming bird vines coming back from last year in a spot that I began cultivating just a year or two ago, it looks like that garden at least will be fairly self-sustaining, which was the plan for it.

Old 05-16-2014, 08:11 AM
macgiobuin
Cargo Master
I picked my first small batch of green beans and some leaf lettuce last night: about a cup of each. Enough for a light lunch this weekend.

This cool weather is going to slow down the growth, but only for a short while.

Old 05-16-2014, 03:55 PM
maples01
Logistics Pro
Dam deer, they're in the garden again, along with the infamous groundhog, just about requires someone to camp out there gun in hand to exterminate them, but with the tractor by the barn, it cuts out blasting that thing with the 12 gauge. To let a tractor sit until the mice eat the wires out of it, after it was restored is asinine, it should have remained with the person who it was given to, who had restored it, to ask for it because it belonged to your dad, just to let it sit is just cruel! Neighbor had brought a tractor over and turned the garden, this year it looked so different, the soil seemed to have different color and texture this time, sure wish someone would dump a load of political promises on it, but the crops are doing well, before getting all the leaves eaten from them.

Old 05-16-2014, 06:43 PM
JWC 3
Lead Driver
Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts
Shake n bake groundhog is tasty!!

Old 05-16-2014, 07:31 PM
maples01
Logistics Pro
Not for me, they are an acquired taste, a very greasy animal that requires special care in skinning and preparing, I've talked with people who've eaten them, grew up in poor regions, you ate what was available, they not only don't eat em now, but won't, but would some squirrels cooked right.

Old 05-17-2014, 03:53 PM
JWC 3
Lead Driver
I ate them growing up. Squirrels,rabbits...all sorts of wild game . I still love fresh caught fish pan fried!

Old 05-17-2014, 03:59 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I just had 25#'s of fresh Halibut and 10 live Dungeness crab delivered to
my door. I love this little village. Yah Hoo.

Water for the crab is heating as I type this.

Old 05-17-2014, 06:33 PM
maples01
Logistics Pro
I like catfish, we always released those we caught, far too much trouble to deal with, but Bass and Crappie were brought home.

Old 05-17-2014, 07:20 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
I'd rather eat a whole mess of catfish fritters - done in batter in a deep fry!

Cat's are simple, cut around the head, and then peel them with pliers while holding them by the gills. No scales - it's a lot simpler fish to fry.
I've heard tell you want to let the meat from the big ones soak overnight in salt water to get rid of the mud taste.

If you have a clay bank nearby though - one way to do fish is to slather the whole fish with clay and let the thing cook in the coals. When you split it open, the scales stick to the hardened clay and the fish will divide right down the middle along the bone line.

If 'Chucks are greasy, I wonder what chuck jerky might be like?

Now Don on the other hand has got me wondering where around here I can bag a whole mess of crawfish...

OH! Yeah, waiddaminnit - this is a garden thread....

I have a LOT of chilantro going in a tire from the back of a front end loader right now. It's (the cilantro plants) a foot tall, and that will make some serious Pico de Gaio once I have some tomatos this year.

I got busy with my weedeater and cleared out the trash plants and weeds in the main garden - I also have lettuce coming in, a tomato, several excellent pepper plants (Mac? I sure hope you got some of those Caballero seeds to sprout for you - those are one I am looking forward to.), and I spotted several Basil plants, and at least one of the Fennel plants coming back. I have my fingers crossed regarding a planter full of shallots I am trying for the first time.

My personal grocery store will provide a feast this year!

Old 05-17-2014, 09:41 PM
JWC 3
Lead Driver
Just put valve cover gaskets on a jeep liberty . Guy gave me two flats of tomato plants after paying! Assorted, not sure what I got .

Old 05-18-2014, 01:42 PM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
Good afternoon everyone...I'm sure that you all are watching the Indy qualifying, it's good stuff!

Old 05-19-2014, 07:18 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
As an experiment, I'm going to grow some lettuce indoors to see if it gets bushier.

I've been researching "BOLTING" and think I may have to put a shade cover of some kind over the outdoor plants. Not 100% set on the plan so far...

Old 05-20-2014, 09:19 AM
macgiobuin
Cargo Master
My herb garden has finally taken off this year....time to do some harvesting and re-planting those that are in pots...

Quick Reply: 2014 Garden Thread