1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Well I did it, bought another obs 7.3!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2014, 08:07 AM
ReBilld
Hotshot
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dougbrown
I'm almost positive the sticker said 94. At most it a 95.
It has to be a '95 bud. Look about an inch up on the door from the bottom....there is a little body line that runs almost the length of the door. That is something they started in '95. Nothing before '95 had those little lines on the doors. It's newer than you thought it was!

Old 01-26-2014, 09:27 AM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 126 Likes on 104 Posts
Good eye Bill.

Old 01-26-2014, 10:36 AM
dougbrown
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ReBilld
It has to be a '95 bud. Look about an inch up on the door from the bottom....there is a little body line that runs almost the length of the door. That is something they started in '95. Nothing before '95 had those little lines on the doors. It's newer than you thought it was!
Good Eye, It coming home late this afternoon. Me and Joe are going to get it. He going drive it so, he will have to report to me how it handles. I'm sure I'll throw a tag on it and cruse it around town. I know all the cops really well. It getting parked in my landscape lot next to the plug so I can plug it in to get it started. Forgot to add, they had put a new set of batteries in it last year.

Any body got a link to fix the broken dash problem. If it to much work I'll most likely leave it. Bill you wouldn't happen to have a tumbler and door key set in your parts house?

Old 01-26-2014, 02:03 PM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If it's just the dash pad, replacing it is a piece of cake. All that holds is on are about 8 10mm nuts on studs that go through the dash. It requires removing the radio and dropping the door off the glove compartment, but after that all you need is a 10mm ratchet. I use a 1/4" ratchet and a deep well socket and a nut driver for a couple of the nuts. Pull the old one off, put a new one on, and you're set.

The hardest part is probably going to be finding a good dash pad to put on it.

Old 01-26-2014, 02:44 PM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by dougbrown
Photo is waaay too small, and NO detail about the actual brand of the plugs or relay. If you don't no for certain that those are Motorcraft/Beru ZD-11s, DO NOT buy this kit. Quality of relay is anybody's guess. For the same price, you can get a set of ZD-11s and a Western Plow relay.

Re. the model year, ignore the stickers, the doors, what the seller told you, any carbon-dating, whatever. The VIN determines the model year, by definition.

Old 01-26-2014, 04:14 PM
dougbrown
Postmaster
Originally Posted by madpogue
Photo is waaay too small, and NO detail about the actual brand of the plugs or relay. If you don't no for certain that those are Motorcraft/Beru ZD-11s, DO NOT buy this kit. Quality of relay is anybody's guess. For the same price, you can get a set of ZD-11s and a Western Plow relay.

Re. the model year, ignore the stickers, the doors, what the seller told you, any carbon-dating, whatever. The VIN determines the model year, by definition.
Jim from rosewood recomened them on another thread. They are made in the use. Anyone got a part number western relay? It home. Gonna have to rebuild the fuel bowl, and fix the oil leak at the dipstick holder. Drives and stops great, 4x4 worked well.

Old 01-26-2014, 05:31 PM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Western Plow # is 56131K.

Old 01-26-2014, 06:25 PM
dougbrown
Postmaster
Thank you, Does anyone know why the engine temp light would be on? It was low on coolent and still it. Drove it all the way home and the temp gauge never came up. I will be looking into it. May throw a T stat on it. Also the ABS light is on. I really need to invest in an Ae system now. The Glow plugs are made by Diesel Rx Brand, made in the USA sold by Jim at rosewood.

Old 01-26-2014, 06:29 PM
dougbrown
Postmaster
Originally Posted by ReBilld
Build date is 11/94. Title says 95.

Old 02-07-2014, 04:13 PM
dougbrown
Postmaster
Hello gang! Little update!

Last weekend I was up Jim working for the swagger truck and my 96 F250. So this weekend I figured why not work on the other truck I just picked up. I think I'm going to make it sell able and stop there. I'm going to be putting it on craigslist tonight.

After work today I when and picked up a Napa Gpr 109 relay and fuel filter. Then on my way I picked up the truck leaving my jeep in the landscape yard. Truck need a small shot of starting fluid to start. I took it for a spin on the back roads of town. Drove good. One I got it home it was down to business getting stuff figured out. I noticed that the fuel filter light was no longer on. Along with the engine coolant light. I had add 2 gallons of coolant sometime last week I grabbed out of the shop at work. Come to find out. It leaks.

So this is what I have come up with.
Water pump leaking on bottom side some where.
New fuel filter in bowl and very clean. Was a napa one.
Still need glow plugs.
Leaking oil around dip stick tube.

What do u think the truck is worth guys? I'm hopping to get 4 to 4,500 out of it. I don't think that asking to much.

Old 02-07-2014, 04:21 PM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
Looks rode hard and put up wet. Needs some good TLC, but 4k isn't out of the question.

Old 02-07-2014, 05:19 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I feel bad for y'all up north... I would freak the hell out if I went to look at a truck and came across all that rust.

Looks like an early '95. It has the early radiator and overflow bottle. Late '95 didn't have a cap on the radiator and had a Degas bottle, not an overflow bottle.

All in all, I bet you'll get quite a few years of use out of it. If the truck was started properly with starting fluid, I wouldn't be too terribly worried about it. The biggest issue with using starting fluid is that if the glow plugs are running when you spray it, it can explode out the intake.

Old 02-07-2014, 05:30 PM
dougbrown
Postmaster
Originally Posted by strokin'_tatsch
I feel bad for y'all up north... I would freak the hell out if I went to look at a truck and came across all that rust.

Looks like an early '95. It has the early radiator and overflow bottle. Late '95 didn't have a cap on the radiator and had a Degas bottle, not an overflow bottle.

All in all, I bet you'll get quite a few years of use out of it. If the truck was started properly with starting fluid, I wouldn't be too terribly worried about it. The biggest issue with using starting fluid is that if the glow plugs are running when you spray it, it can explode out the intake.
I took the Glow plug relay out of line so they couldn't come on. Also I don't think they work at all.

Old 02-07-2014, 05:33 PM
dougbrown
Postmaster
Not sure if I'm going to off load it or not yet. I don't think I'm too out of line on price if I throw a newer set of rubber on it and fix it up a little. If I get any hard core cash offer she will be gone.

Old 02-07-2014, 06:22 PM
madpogue
Lead Driver
^^^^ +1; I'd do the cosmetics anyway - buff out that phone number, hang the mirror and the bumper, clean the interior, etc. Mitigate the "rode hard" look, could net another $500 (or at least sell it faster).

Quick Reply: Well I did it, bought another obs 7.3!!!