1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this a ridiculous idea?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 01:20 PM
MDSuperDuty
Cargo Master
Received 49 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by SteveH-CO
I think your idea is fine - you might need to trim it a bit (edges) to fit around the bed rug. If you look around, you might be able to find a free old plastic bedliner that no one wants. You have little to lose by experimenting with this.

Yea I figured there may be some obstacles with this. That would be the deal to find someone giving these away......

Old 01-24-2014, 02:01 PM
Diamnd1
Laughing Gas
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts
Line-X the bed and then get a plastic insert. Problem solved.

Old 01-24-2014, 02:16 PM
jmhatchett
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Diamnd1
Line-X the bed and then get a plastic insert. Problem solved.
X2.... dont do the "at home DIY" spray in liners... i promise it wont last and will have to be re-done. get it sprayed professionally the first time and find yourself a plastic drop in and you can toss that in when you need it and take it out when you dont, the are lightweight and easy enough to handle.

Old 01-24-2014, 02:52 PM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Received 994 Likes on 764 Posts
why not install the plastic liner and put the rug in and out when needed. the plastic liner washers real well and i would not have an issue with putting a rug over it once I power wash the plastic liner down and it dries correctly.

Old 03-27-2014, 06:25 PM
MDSuperDuty
Cargo Master
Found a cheap OEM drop in liner. Now I just need to find a place to store my cap so I can get the liner on and see how it works. I like these plastic liners for their durability. I saw a video of someone dropping a cement block on the wheel well of a spray lined truck and it dented! From the videos I've seen of line-x that shouldn't happen but it was quite alarming. I just can get over someone sanding all the paint off the bed. Ha.

Old 03-27-2014, 06:38 PM
Kdr358
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The only issue I had with plastic bed-liners was on my old 96 Ranger. Over time they rub paint off the actual bed and hold moisture underneath. Mix that with salt and winter mess and you get a Swiss cheese bed floor after a few years.

I know that does not apply to you since you have a bed-rug underneath and this isn't permanent, I think It will work out well. When it comes to hauling landscape material the plastic liners are the way to go. All the landscapers up here use the plastic liners and throw them away once they get too beat up from shovels etc..

What requires sanding paint off the bed?

Old 03-27-2014, 07:00 PM
MDSuperDuty
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Kdr358
The only issue I had with plastic bed-liners was on my old 96 Ranger. Over time they rub paint off the actual bed and hold moisture underneath. Mix that with salt and winter mess and you get a Swiss cheese bed floor after a few years.

I know that does not apply to you since you have a bed-rug underneath and this isn't permanent, I think It will work out well. When it comes to hauling landscape material the plastic liners are the way to go. All the landscapers up here use the plastic liners and throw them away once they get too beat up from shovels etc..

What requires sanding paint off the bed?

The spray on liners require sanding.

Yea I definitely don't want that plastic liner touching the metal. As it will scuff the heck out of the paint. I've had plenty of plastic liners and have seen the damage. I also live in salt central but keep my truck off the road as much as I can in winter. But like you said the durability can't be beat when it comes to the plastic liner. And if it does get scraped up I'm sure I'll be able to find another. If this turns out to be the biggest PITA I consider the spray on.

Old 03-27-2014, 07:02 PM
MDSuperDuty
Cargo Master
I just need to make more money and buy a used dump truck (450/550) and put my truck on crusing/estimating duty.

Old 03-27-2014, 07:15 PM
Kdr358
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had Ford do the spray liner in my truck when I bought it, I think they just sprayed over the paint in the bed. So far its held up to a 700lb pallet dragged across it but only time will tell.

F450's are all over my area but badly rusted! Large property maint company's are always cycling out their fleets here. Brickman Group gets rid of their fleet every 5 years. The 450/550's are everything from V10's 6.0's and 6.4, 4x4 Crew cabs with 10-14' dump bodies.

I have seen them sell at auction from 3,800-7,000 for the V10's and the diesels go in the 8k+ range. The gassers seem more popular around here since diesel is 4.09 and gas is 3.50!

Old 03-27-2014, 08:15 PM
MDSuperDuty
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Kdr358
I had Ford do the spray liner in my truck when I bought it, I think they just sprayed over the paint in the bed. So far its held up to a 700lb pallet dragged across it but only time will tell.

F450's are all over my area but badly rusted! Large property maint company's are always cycling out their fleets here. Brickman Group gets rid of their fleet every 5 years. The 450/550's are everything from V10's 6.0's and 6.4, 4x4 Crew cabs with 10-14' dump bodies.

I have seen them sell at auction from 3,800-7,000 for the V10's and the diesels go in the 8k+ range. The gassers seem more popular around here since diesel is 4.09 and gas is 3.50!
That would be the exact truck I'd be looking for. I want a V10 again too. It's just so simple. I just need way more work to justify it.

Old 03-27-2014, 09:06 PM
ketel0ne
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maybe some way to combine a DualLiner Truck Bed Liner and the bedrug. Then you get the hard sides and somehow work the mat over the bedrug? I am one of the masses that swears by line x, but I have to throw a ribbed mat down to use my loadhandler.

Old 03-27-2014, 10:08 PM
Lubbockguy1979
Cargo Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by MDSuperDuty
Found a cheap OEM drop in liner. Now I just need to find a place to store my cap so I can get the liner on and see how it works. I like these plastic liners for their durability. I saw a video of someone dropping a cement block on the wheel well of a spray lined truck and it dented! From the videos I've seen of line-x that shouldn't happen but it was quite alarming. I just can get over someone sanding all the paint off the bed. Ha.
The spray In liner is dent resistant not dent proof. Drop a large enough object on any bedliner and the bed will sustain damage. With a plastic liner or a bed rug though the liner will likely hide the damage. You could theoretically spray the liner over you pristine paint but it would have less to adhere to and be likely to peel. Scuffing the surface to put down a spray liner is nessisary to increase the ability of the chemical to adhere to the paint just like paint to primer. None of the liners are going to be cut proof either. Although some are more resistant than others. Ive had spray liners, bed mats and even nothing in the backs of the various trucks ive had. The spray liners look nice, nothing works as well as a simple rubber mat in my opinion. My suggestion to you is to get a spray liner in the truck this will seal the metal of the bed on the top side. Then simply put a rubber matt over for work and use the rug for play. The rubber mat will absorb as much if not more abuse than the plastic in the floor of the bed. Around the wheel wells it is flat plastic to flat metal so no real protection there.. I think that combo will yeild the best overall results

Old 03-28-2014, 08:50 AM
MDSuperDuty
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by ketel0ne
Maybe some way to combine a DualLiner Truck Bed Liner and the bedrug. Then you get the hard sides and somehow work the mat over the bedrug? I am one of the masses that swears by line x, but I have to throw a ribbed mat down to use my loadhandler.

I've seen those but can't tell what that product is made of? I've thought about a load handler too as they seem to work and are relatively cheap and would probably slide very well on the plastic liner. I have a dump trailer but usually that has finish products in it and would like to use the truck when the haul out stuff is not as significant, thus the load handler, or a shovel. Increase productivity that way. But like I've said, if in the next few years revenues increase a dump truck will be in order.

Old 03-28-2014, 08:53 AM
MDSuperDuty
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Lubbockguy1979
The spray In liner is dent resistant not dent proof. Drop a large enough object on any bedliner and the bed will sustain damage. With a plastic liner or a bed rug though the liner will likely hide the damage. You could theoretically spray the liner over you pristine paint but it would have less to adhere to and be likely to peel. Scuffing the surface to put down a spray liner is nessisary to increase the ability of the chemical to adhere to the paint just like paint to primer. None of the liners are going to be cut proof either. Although some are more resistant than others. Ive had spray liners, bed mats and even nothing in the backs of the various trucks ive had. The spray liners look nice, nothing works as well as a simple rubber mat in my opinion. My suggestion to you is to get a spray liner in the truck this will seal the metal of the bed on the top side. Then simply put a rubber matt over for work and use the rug for play. The rubber mat will absorb as much if not more abuse than the plastic in the floor of the bed. Around the wheel wells it is flat plastic to flat metal so no real protection there.. I think that combo will yeild the best overall results

I understand the reasoning for sanding the paint off for adhesion of the spray liners. Truthfully I don't even want to use this truck is the fashion I am going to. But as already stated I really need either a dump truck or another truck I don't care that much about. But that money tree in my backyard hasn't provided a plentiful bounty yet......

Old 04-13-2014, 08:33 PM
MDSuperDuty
Cargo Master
Got it cheap and got it done...... We'll see if I ever take it out! (was a bit of a pain to get the front corner holders in). Haven't seen this truck without a cap either! There are some wrinkles on the end and I figure the liner is squeezed in there a little more than normal. Again I wanted this liner for the impact resistance vs the spray in. Also I've had them in all my previous trucks and they work great for landscaping. And it wont scratch the bed either!! We'll see how it works.... I want to try and find somewhere that sells sheet plastic to put under the end of the liner and over the tailgate for unloading. The cap will go on again for the winter.

Remember that I purchased this truck and it included the bed rug so it's not like I purchased both of them. And I probably spent less than a 10th of what a spray in costs.

Attached Images   

Quick Reply: Is this a ridiculous idea?