Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Bronco > 1978 - 1996 Big Bronco
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1978 - 1996 Big Bronco SPONSORED BY:

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-07-2014, 01:29 PM
Senior User

EffunFiddy has a good reputation on FTE.EffunFiddy has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Lewis View Post
The only thing better is when the "M" is turned right side up.
Let's play fair Gary, they're both Fords
'86 F150 XL Flareside w/ 5-oh EFI and AOD
Dad's '02 F150 XL RCLB 4.2L a/t 4x4 - Kick it in the Six
Old 03-07-2014, 09:34 PM
FTE Chapter Leader

Gary Lewis has much to be proud ofGary Lewis has much to be proud ofGary Lewis has much to be proud ofGary Lewis has much to be proud ofGary Lewis has much to be proud ofGary Lewis has much to be proud ofGary Lewis has much to be proud ofGary Lewis has much to be proud ofGary Lewis has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by EffunFiddy View Post
Let's play fair Gary, they're both Fords
Yep. But one's better than the other.
1950 Chevy 3100 in queue
Worst fear: I die and my wife sells my rides for what I've told her I have in them.
Old 03-08-2014, 06:20 AM
I am the NRA and I vote

gatorfor88 has a brilliant futuregatorfor88 has a brilliant futuregatorfor88 has a brilliant futuregatorfor88 has a brilliant futuregatorfor88 has a brilliant futuregatorfor88 has a brilliant futuregatorfor88 has a brilliant futuregatorfor88 has a brilliant futuregatorfor88 has a brilliant futuregatorfor88 has a brilliant futuregatorfor88 has a brilliant future
Quote:
Yep. But one's better than the other.
I am inclined to agree with you Gary. My ol gal wont outrun some cammed up hot rodded out truck or Bronco, but I would hook bumpers with about any Windsor powered vehicle around. She aint made to go fast, she is made to GO. Its funny how alot of people put down the M motor, but there are possibly still millions of them going strong today. When they can "breathe" right they are capable of performing right up there with about any engine made. Just costs alot more to do.
78 Bronco Ranger XLT, 358, Edelbrock performer 400 and Holley 600 carb, Erson cam. Ugly, but DAMN FORD TOUGH Speak softly and carry a large caliber. Bring them home NOW! Get out and vote or kwitchyerbitchin.
Allen
Old 03-08-2014, 08:35 AM
FTE Chapter Leader

Gary Lewis has much to be proud ofGary Lewis has much to be proud ofGary Lewis has much to be proud ofGary Lewis has much to be proud ofGary Lewis has much to be proud ofGary Lewis has much to be proud ofGary Lewis has much to be proud ofGary Lewis has much to be proud ofGary Lewis has much to be proud of
Not to hijack Brad's wonderful thread, I'm just messing with him. The Windsors are one of Ford's all time most popular engines and the M/400's are some of the least popular. But that doesn't mean they aren't good, just misunderstood.

Anyway, back to Bronco's. My son has always wanted one and I'm taking notes on here. Wonderful build!
1950 Chevy 3100 in queue
Worst fear: I die and my wife sells my rides for what I've told her I have in them.
Old 03-09-2014, 04:23 PM
Senior User

EffunFiddy has a good reputation on FTE.EffunFiddy has a good reputation on FTE.
I've never had an M before but a couple of friends of mine have. Where the torque comes on in the RPM range it's almost like a diesel! And pull all day too. I'll have to try one someday, but I sure like the way a Windsor will rev with a bit of work btw, when I built my 408W I found out that 351W and 351M/400s share the exact same main bearings

Gary I know you and your son will have a blast with a Bronco. My Dad and I sure do. When I got the blue '85 I just wanted a bush buggy to really beat on but they're getting so scarce around here that I couldn't just wreck it. Besides, they're just too cool. I'll have some more pics up tonight once I get back to "The Rez." I just hope they fixed their internet....
Old 03-09-2014, 08:32 PM
Elder User

peganit2 is starting off with a positive reputation.
The 351M and the 400 are high deck 351 Cleveland's, and we know those motors are ANIMALS!!!!

They're not fragile like it's been suggested, just from a bad era for motors, the 70's. Like gator said they cost more and good used parts are harder to come by.

"Make things Simple, Not Simpler" - Albert Einstein
Old 03-09-2014, 08:39 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by peganit2 View Post
The 351M and the 400 are high deck 351 Cleveland's, and we know those motors are ANIMALS!!!!

They're not fragile like it's been suggested, just from a bad era for motors, the 70's. Like gator said they cost more and good used parts are harder to come by.
Yeah the 70s sure weren't too glorious for performance! I've heard they're not a race engine by any means, but that's not what they were made to do. But they sure do get things rolling.

Made some more progress this weekend! I'll be glad to have these floors finished.

This one was right around the seat bolts on the driver's side. It took a bit of patience to make but I cut out the rotten stuff and it fits like factory!

Click the image to open in full size.

Then finished the welds and put some self etching primer on it.

Finally time for seam sealer! Once it dries enough I'll sand it and finally paint the floors - at least the front section, still have the spots by the seatbelts to do. Not taking any chances with how much salt gets put on our roads so rustproofing is our main priority, otherwise they might be a little prettier

This is the one spot behind the seatbelts on the passenger side. The driver's side is the same way. I know what you're thinking, but it's not rotten at all at the anchor points so it's plenty safe enough. Just the tin work next to it.

Once the rot is cut out this patch will fit in perfect.

The one and only rust spot on the passenger side quarter. Anyone that's not familiar with these trucks, as I wasn't before this, they have a tendancy to crack at the top of the cab behind the drip rail when the tops are off. This lets moisture run down the inside of the cab and settle in the factory's inconveniently placed insulation. Then it rots out at the bottom. Plus they gather mud in between the two panels right behind the rocker panels too. Just a spot to look for to anyone looking to buy one!

This is the area here, behind where I have cut out. They're popular for rust. Lucky for me it's still solid, wouldn't have been for long though I don't think. So I cleaned all the rust off, put the rust treatment to it and coated the wee out of it with black underguard. Then put in a new piece of steel.

That's it for this week. Here's what people see when they first see it. Most of them aren't too optimistic, but I can see it!

Old 03-09-2014, 09:05 PM
FTE Chapter Leader

Brad - That's excellent work! You are gonna be soooo pleased when it is done.
1950 Chevy 3100 in queue
Old 03-09-2014, 11:03 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Brad - That's excellent work! You are gonna be soooo pleased when it is done.
Thanks Gary it's starting to look pretty good I think. It's already came a long way from where it was when I dragged it home. I have a line up of buddies that already want to go for a tour with the top off!
Old 03-10-2014, 11:53 AM
New User

RoadKing13 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Really enjoying this thread. starting to want to work on mine again.
thanks
Old 03-10-2014, 04:16 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadKing13 View Post
Really enjoying this thread. starting to want to work on mine again.
thanks
No time like the present this one keeps me entertained on weekends, but I'm starting to really want to see it at it's actual ride height!
Old 03-10-2014, 08:33 PM
Senior User

I mentioned the 306 that I'll be putting In the truck in some other posts. I had it in my Flareside for a few years before I put in the 408. Won't even have 10,00 clicks on it.
It's a '91 roller block from a Mustang GT that Dad and I rebuilt. Its bored .030" over with a set of Keith Black flat top pistons. It's right around 9.7:1 compression, I've never tried it on regular but I have a feeling it'd be okay with it. It's got a Comp XE274 cam, Comp chromoly pushrods and Scorpion 1.6 full roller rockers. The heads are AFRs with 60cc chambers and for up top I've got an Edelbrock Air Gap with a 670 Holley street avenger on it.
It's a pretty snotty little engine which should make for a lot of fun with the 4 speed behind it.

Old 03-10-2014, 11:12 PM
FTE Chapter Leader

I like it! With the tall valve covers on it is hard to tell it isn't a 351. Good looking engine. In fact, as I think about it that's a bunch like my "stroked M" will look. Yes, it will be bigger, but with a blue block, aluminum heads/intake/waterpump that's a whole lot like mine. Do you mind if I post your pic(s) in my thread? I want to have some dialog about selecting colors?
1950 Chevy 3100 in queue
Old 03-10-2014, 11:48 PM
Senior User

Quote:
I like it! With the tall valve covers on it is hard to tell it isn't a 351. Good looking engine. In fact, as I think about it that's a bunch like my "stroked M" will look. Yes, it will be bigger, but with a blue block, aluminum heads/intake/waterpump that's a whole lot like mine. Do you mind if I post your pic(s) in my thread? I want to have some dialog about selecting colors?
By all means buddy! It does look big for a 5.0L, that's what I like I may have to think about a different cam in the future but I think with the gearing it should perform pretty good. Since it was a street motor before, low end torque wasn't as much of a priority but it still did pretty well. For towing I'll always have the granny gear and the dual plane to get things rolling, it should hold it's own pretty good after that
Old 03-11-2014, 02:42 AM
Senior User

'86 F150 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.'86 F150 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Looks great so far. That motor should be pretty awesome in there. Did you make the patch panel by the seatbelt? What type of seam sealer did you use? Planning on doing the same thing to mine. Found a bunch more rust on mine yesterday.
1985 Bronco XLT 8" lift 351 HO
1986 F150 EFI 302, AOD
Old 03-11-2014, 02:42 AM