Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions About Full Exterior LED Swap

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2014, 10:23 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Just aFYI. the only clear lights allowed are headlights.

Marker lights are to be amber in the front and read in the rear

Old 01-19-2014, 10:29 PM
Island Time
Laughing Gas

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Diesel_Brad
Just aFYI. the only clear lights allowed are headlights.
Yes, and no. Daytime running lights are allowed to be white. What constitutes daytime running lights is more and more at the whim of designers. Just look at the weird shaped strings of led lights that grace the front end of some cars today.

Old 01-19-2014, 10:32 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Island Time
Yes, and no. Daytime running lights are allowed to be white. What constitutes daytime running lights is more and more at the whim of designers. Just look at the weird shaped strings of led lights that grace the front end of some cars today.
Daytime running lights are just that, NOT marker lights

Old 01-19-2014, 11:49 PM
iRockFosgate
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, so I went and bought an "electronic flasher" from O'reilly's for $12.47.

It is a little bit taller than the, I assume, stock one but it did fit and I was able to close the fuse panel. The clicking when the blinker flashes is noticeably louder than before. I won't be forgetting to turn it off after a turn lol.

Name:  91E2D426-E6C2-498C-9F89-B79E3C6FC53C-4425-00000505E1A53FB0_zps86e39f20.jpg
Views: 26632
Size:  231.7 KB

I'm sorry for all the questions Brad, but if you (or anyone with experience) could confirm these sizes for last time I would really appreciate it.

For the FRONT I will need:
-2x 194's for the lights by the headlights.
-2x 916's for the lights by the turn signals. I searched for "916" on superbrightleds.com and it came up with this. http://www.superbrightleds.com/searc...ent-bulbs/916/ which is basically saying the "194" will replace "916".
-2x 3157's for the actual turn signals.

For the REAR I will need:
-2x 3157's for the brake light/ turn signal.
-2x 3156's for the reverse light.

For the Cargo Lamp/Highmount Stoplamp I will need:
-3x 922's

In total 6 lights for the front, and 7 lights for the rear.

Old 01-20-2014, 05:59 AM
BenS77
Senior User
Originally Posted by iRockFosgate
Well, that's another question I had. This company has two different socket types for tail lights. One is a "3157 Standard Socket" and the other is "3157 CK Socket." I'm curious as to whether our trucks have the standard or CK socket type.

RED PLATINUM 21 LED BLINKER BRAKE LIGHT BULBS 3157 3156 4157 3157CK | 1 PAIR - 3157 - 3157CK - 3156 LED - Shop Bulb #'s
Here's an explanation of the differences:

3157 vs 3157CK - What is the difference? - DistantXtremes

Best way to find out would be to test it yourself.

Old 01-20-2014, 10:00 AM
Island Time
Laughing Gas

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Diesel_Brad
Daytime running lights are just that, NOT marker lights
Didn't say they were. Just that what is and isn't used for forward facing lights and colors seems to be ever changing and doesn't really seem to be a standard any more for passenger size vehicles.

Old 01-20-2014, 11:07 AM
dixie460
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Island Time
Just look at the weird shaped strings of led lights that serve to further uglify the already atrocious-looking front end of today's plastic junk.
Fixed that for you.

Not that ALL new vehicles are ugly... but a lot of them are, to me anyway. Guess the manufacturers ran out of good designs.

If you don't like the louder flasher, there are electronic flashers available that are completely solid-state and therefore completely silent. I have one but it's only rated to 10A so I would need one with more current-carrying capacity if I towed a trailer with standard incan bulbs. I don't even have any exterior LED's, I just wanted the turn signals to be silent. Still got the electromechanical unit in there for the 4-ways.

I have this: http://www.superbrightleds.com/morei...asher/781/835/
But you'll have to remote-mount it and terminate the wires to male spades to be able to plug into the flasher socket... it's too tall to fit.

Oh and you can buy LED modules with resistors already built in instead of using the splice-in resistors. They (industry) call them CANbus bulbs... I guess because newer vehicles with a CAN communication bus can detect when you have a bulb out and will complain if swapped over to LED's (due to almost no load)... not sure why they think only CAN-equipped vehicles can do this... my 88 Bronco II could tell me if I had a bulb out... so could my Fox body Thunderbird.

Old 01-20-2014, 12:41 PM
zwoodward374
New User
Hey guys new to the forum. I bought new tail lights off ebay that came with red leds. They worked when i first put them in but now i am getting no brake or turn signal lights I'm assuming i need the electronic flasher talked about above for the turn signal issue. Do i also need a resistor for the brake lights to function properly?

Old 01-20-2014, 01:00 PM
dixie460
Postmaster
Originally Posted by zwoodward374
Hey guys new to the forum. I bought new tail lights off ebay that came with red leds. They worked when i first put them in but now i am getting no brake or turn signal lights I'm assuming i need the electronic flasher talked about above for the turn signal issue. Do i also need a resistor for the brake lights to function properly?
No, the brake light circuit is routed thru the multifunction switch but not the flasher, so the flasher cannot affect it. Do your signals work in the front?

Old 01-20-2014, 01:18 PM
iRockFosgate
Junior User
Originally Posted by dixie460
Fixed that for you.

Not that ALL new vehicles are ugly... but a lot of them are, to me anyway. Guess the manufacturers ran out of good designs.

If you don't like the louder flasher, there are electronic flashers available that are completely solid-state and therefore completely silent. I have one but it's only rated to 10A so I would need one with more current-carrying capacity if I towed a trailer with standard incan bulbs. I don't even have any exterior LED's, I just wanted the turn signals to be silent. Still got the electromechanical unit in there for the 4-ways.

I have this: CF12ANL-01 LED Bulb Electronic Flasher | Car Bulb Installation Supplies | LED Car Bulbs | Super Bright LEDs
But you'll have to remote-mount it and terminate the wires to male spades to be able to plug into the flasher socket... it's too tall to fit.

Oh and you can buy LED modules with resistors already built in instead of using the splice-in resistors. They (industry) call them CANbus bulbs... I guess because newer vehicles with a CAN communication bus can detect when you have a bulb out and will complain if swapped over to LED's (due to almost no load)... not sure why they think only CAN-equipped vehicles can do this... my 88 Bronco II could tell me if I had a bulb out... so could my Fox body Thunderbird.
I've seen the "CAN" bulbs, and on superbrightleds.com it says in red that CAN bulbs should NOT be used in non CAN bus applications.

As seen here: 3157 CAN Bus LED Bulb - Dual Intensity 26 SMD LED Tower | LED Brake Light, Turn Light and Tail Light Bulbs | LED Car Bulbs | Super Bright LEDs

But you're telling me that CAN bulbs will WILL work in our vehicles?

I had no clue buying LED bulbs for our vehicles would be so confusing lol.

Old 01-20-2014, 02:40 PM
dixie460
Postmaster
Originally Posted by iRockFosgate
I've seen the "CAN" bulbs, and on superbrightleds.com it says in red that CAN bulbs should be used in non CAN bus applications.

But you're telling me that CAN bulbs will WILL work in our vehicles?
Hmm... interesting.

Here is a discussion over on CPF that I just found thru Google... good forum but I don't post there regularly.

"CAN Bus bulbs should not be used in non CAN Bus applications"?

Post #15 is interesting, what he is saying is basically the CAN bulbs might be made to run on a circuit that does not receive full battery voltage, and therefore might burn up when supplied with full voltage as in our trucks.

I don't think that would be the case, because why would a manufacturer run an incandescent bulb (such as a brake light) that's made for full voltage, at a reduced voltage? I understand that this is how DRL headlights work, but we are talking about everything else but the headlights here.

I just hate that you lose the energy savings that LED's offer, because you still need the resistor.

If I were wanting to do this, I'd just start with one set and try it out first. If the LED's are happy, then do the rest of the truck.

Maybe I'll even order a set to try it out. Been wanting to do so anyway.

Old 01-20-2014, 04:41 PM
zwoodward374
New User
No, the brake light circuit is routed thru the multifunction switch but not the flasher, so the flasher cannot affect it. Do your signals work in the front?
Yes the signals work in the front, The tail lights come on when i have my parking lights on, but do not brighten when i press the brake or flash when i have my turn signals on.

Old 01-20-2014, 05:34 PM
Puddy
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
I would check to see if connections in the socket are pooched.
Otherwise I think you may have bought the wrong flasher module.
I had to use this square one with separate leads to the flasher.
And those V-LEDs are the cats u know what.
If you have the money, buy em.

Old 01-20-2014, 05:47 PM
iRockFosgate
Junior User
Hmm... interesting.

Here is a discussion over on CPF that I just found thru Google... good forum but I don't post there regularly.

"CAN Bus bulbs should not be used in non CAN Bus applications"?

Post #15 is interesting, what he is saying is basically the CAN bulbs might be made to run on a circuit that does not receive full battery voltage, and therefore might burn up when supplied with full voltage as in our trucks.

I don't think that would be the case, because why would a manufacturer run an incandescent bulb (such as a brake light) that's made for full voltage, at a reduced voltage? I understand that this is how DRL headlights work, but we are talking about everything else but the headlights here.

I just hate that you lose the energy savings that LED's offer, because you still need the resistor.

If I were wanting to do this, I'd just start with one set and try it out first. If the LED's are happy, then do the rest of the truck.

Maybe I'll even order a set to try it out. Been wanting to do so anyway.
Yea, I meant to type "should NOT".

Old 01-20-2014, 05:50 PM
iRockFosgate
Junior User
Originally Posted by Puddy
I would check to see if connections in the socket are pooched.
Otherwise I think you may have bought the wrong flasher module.
I had to use this square one with separate leads to the flasher.
And those V-LEDs are the cats u know what.
If you have the money, buy em.
92 F-150 V3 Triton 6000k V-LEDS.com Demo - YouTube
Do you have a link to the bulbs you used for the (916) lights by the turn signals, and the (194) lights by the headlights? Or remember where you got them?

Quick Reply: Questions About Full Exterior LED Swap