1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Torque App on an OBS Powerstroke

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2015, 09:03 AM
cowmilker08
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, I will have to manually write the .csv file. I haven't had the app crash like that. I guess that's another good reason to have a separate file.

Old 02-16-2015, 11:55 AM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
I am not going to read thru 9 pages. Does it work on an apple?

Old 02-16-2015, 11:56 AM
cowmilker08
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not as far as I know. I think its android only. I know its was 6 months ago.

Old 02-16-2015, 12:39 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by cowmilker08
Not as far as I know. I think its android only. I know its was 6 months ago.
Ok, good to know

Old 02-16-2015, 01:13 PM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No to Apple. There are similar apps for iOS devices (Car Gauge, or Dash command seem to ring a bell), but I'm not well versed in them since I've never had an Apple device.

Old 02-16-2015, 02:38 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by DIYMechanic
No to Apple. There are similar apps for iOS devices (Car Gauge, or Dash command seem to ring a bell), but I'm not well versed in them since I've never had an Apple device.
Yeah. I looked them over quick. Not too many reviews on them

Old 02-17-2015, 11:19 AM
dclack
Fleet Mechanic
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
Engine Link is the one I have on my iphone. I have not been able to get it working on my PSD yet, but there is someone in the SD forum that has been using it. It seems to work the same as Torque so I'm not sure why it doesn't work. I have used it on my wife's 5.4l without issue. I know that it is connecting to the trucks ECU because it will read the speed and rpms just fine; but everytime I try to check for codes it will cause the engine to almost stall. Or if I try to read ICP, the engine will start to sputter and stumble.

Old 02-17-2015, 11:25 AM
madMatador78
Postmaster
Thats the trouble. Only certain programs (or scanners) will communicate with our trucks. They have the OBD II Plug, but are not OBD II compliant. I would assume they addressed that in the Super Duty trucks.

Although even in Torque, if you check for codes, it will make the engine stall.

Old 05-28-2015, 06:46 PM
robkat
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cant connect to PCM

I have had torque for a while and used it on my other (newer gas) vehicles. I tried reading codes on my 97 powerstroke and it killed the motor like I now know it does. I quit it then and there. Then I read more on FTE and I tried to connect just to get some info on the motor. Trouble is I can't connect to the PCM. I used the same adapter I used before on my other vehicles and it lit up when plugged into the powerstroke. It just says searching for protocol. I see on the vehicle profile I can change the protocol. Is this necessary? Any other ideas/suggestions welcome. Thanks gents.
P.S. I have a ELV adapter not the V gate one pictured in this thread.

Old 05-29-2015, 11:58 PM
lemonshindig
Laughing Gas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
On my truck, sometimes it connects, sometimes it doesn't. Key off and on again. Try unplugging the adapter and plugging it back in. Exit torque, reboot your phone, and open it again.

Old 09-30-2015, 10:31 AM
dclack
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by dclack
Engine Link is the one I have on my iphone. I have not been able to get it working on my PSD yet, but there is someone in the SD forum that has been using it. It seems to work the same as Torque so I'm not sure why it doesn't work. I have used it on my wife's 5.4l without issue. I know that it is connecting to the trucks ECU because it will read the speed and rpms just fine; but everytime I try to check for codes it will cause the engine to almost stall. Or if I try to read ICP, the engine will start to sputter and stumble.
Well, I was never able to get the Engine Link app to work (other than reading speed and rpms), but now I have an Android device so I bought a BT dongle (same VGate one that Nate has) and the Torque app. I think the BT dongle is bad as it won't connect to the ECU in either the truck or the Expedition. So I tried my wifi dongle with Torque and was able to get it to connect to the ECU, but it said that my ECU does not support PIDs and would not read any data.

Does anybody know why this setup works for some trucks and not others?

Old 09-30-2015, 11:42 PM
82F100SWB
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
I have a vgate dongle, and have no issues with either of my 96's, been using torque for a few years and recently got the car guage pro app for buzz and contribution tests. No issues with stalling when pulling codes with either, but my old innova code reader does cause a stall.

Old 10-01-2015, 08:01 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by dclack
Well, I was never able to get the Engine Link app to work (other than reading speed and rpms), but now I have an Android device so I bought a BT dongle (same VGate one that Nate has) and the Torque app. I think the BT dongle is bad as it won't connect to the ECU in either the truck or the Expedition. So I tried my wifi dongle with Torque and was able to get it to connect to the ECU, but it said that my ECU does not support PIDs and would not read any data.

Does anybody know why this setup works for some trucks and not others?
Ignore that promt from Torque. Mine does that from time to time as well. Load the custom Ford PID pack, set up your OBS PIDs and I bet it works just fine.

Old 10-01-2015, 08:19 AM
madMatador78
Postmaster
x2 on that. Mine does that as well. Hit ok, and theres my info.

Old 10-01-2015, 10:49 AM
dclack
Fleet Mechanic
Ok, so I was able to mess with it some more today and my problem with the wifi adapter is that it won't stay connected to my phone for more than a minute; but I was able to read ICP for a few seconds before it lost the signal. So right now I just need to contact the ebay seller I bought the BT adapter from and see about getting another one since this one won't connect to the ECU.

Quick Reply: Torque App on an OBS Powerstroke