Sponsored by:

a good look at my '03 6.0 Ex

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 06:45 PM
USCG_PA
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
a good look at my '03 6.0 Ex

So, I decided to go picture crazy. I climbed under the Ex and started snapping away, so now I will share. Additionally, while there are some good sized blocks in the back, I am not sure how they got the lift up front... I do have front and back sway bars, so that is a plus. Please take a look and what is really a clean '03. I would love to hear anything you can help tell me about my Ex. Thanks!

Lets start with the rear end and shocks...

Now for the fronts...

looks like a leak, but no spots on the ground, maybe old leak...

and now for some "other" pics...

Even more pics can be seen on my Flickr at My Truck - a set on Flickr

I can always take more pics if anyone has a question. Thanks for looking!

Old 01-16-2014, 07:03 PM
nmclella
Posting Guru
Wow, that's amazing. How I envy those without salt...

Old 01-16-2014, 07:19 PM
00X7.3PSD
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
One of the cleanest looking motor I've seen. Looks like it just came from the showroom floor.

Rear springs and tall blocks need to be address asap.

Old 01-16-2014, 07:22 PM
USCG_PA
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 00X7.3PSD
Rear springs and tall blocks need to be address. They look tired.
They do look tired, I will eventually need to do something about them, but the engine is going to get bullet proofed first.

Old 01-16-2014, 07:26 PM
00X7.3PSD
Senior User
There's no bump stop stopper. Looks like suspension can over travel and cause damage to your fenderwell.

Old 01-17-2014, 12:06 AM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Rear: Stock springs with 4" F-350 blocks
Front: lift leafs (3 leaf vice OEM 2 leaf) + leveling kit

that oil "leak" is 100% normal for the 6.0. The motor likes to ooze oil, but not actually leak. My 2006 F-250 with the 6.0 did that exact same crap and only had 16,000 miles. A lot of guys in the 6.0 forum section of FTE have similar.

Very nice underbody...isn't it nice not having salt problems?

Old 01-17-2014, 03:12 AM
CLINT-THE-GREAT
Posting Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by nmclella
Wow, that's amazing. How I envy those without salt...
x2!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by Tylus
that oil "leak" is 100% normal for the 6.0. The motor likes to ooze oil, but not actually leak. My 2006 F-250 with the 6.0 did that exact same crap and only had 16,000 miles. A lot of guys in the 6.0 forum section of FTE have similar.
I'm one of them!

-The Great

Old 01-17-2014, 09:03 AM
USCG_PA
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Tylus
Rear: Stock springs with 4" F-350 blocks
Front: lift leafs (3 leaf vice OEM 2 leaf) + leveling kit

Very nice underbody...isn't it nice not having salt problems?
Thanks for the info about the lift I kind of figured about the oil, and since it is not spotting the driveway, I was not that worried.

Thanks again for the feedback!

Old 01-17-2014, 09:10 AM
mgraveman
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I agree about the rear suspension. That bothers me. Those are non factory blocks with the factory springs. They look 2" taller and the factory ones had a spring wrap problem anyway, so yours will be magnified. You also don't know that the angle was cut right for good driveline angles. Lastly there is no bump stop for too much travel. I'd put that right at the top of the list if it were me.

Old 01-17-2014, 12:07 PM
mecdac
Lead Driver
Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Billboard size Excursion ****... time to go back to work.

Old 01-17-2014, 12:31 PM
icentropy
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yeah those rear helper springs are already resting on the main springs and engaged. I think my truck has around 1-2" of space there. Also is the front actually lifted? It looks like the springs are flat, the extra little leafs are so short I can't imagine they're adding any lift other than the thickness of the leaf itself. If your engine is running fine, i'd take care of that spring sag first if it were me.

Old 01-17-2014, 12:54 PM
USCG_PA
Posting Guru
Thanks everyone for the feedback on the suspension. I already knew the springs were a little flat, and not having been the one who did the initial lift to clear the 35's, I really have no idea of the quality of the work done.

All this feed back has me looking at systems like BDS where I can get full front and back springs with all the hardware. Since I am not having issues with the headbolts at this time, i may forgo the expense of the teardown and upgrades and focus on the suspension instead.

To be clear though, this truck does not see mush in the way of off road, mainly just beach sand, dirt roads and the occasional rough patch of asphalt. I look at my Ex more as a highway runner, as a "small" big rig

With all the feedback, I think I will be shuffling my expense schedule around this spring, to focus on those springs.

Thanks again!

Old 01-17-2014, 02:43 PM
USCG_PA
Posting Guru
Once again, thanks for the feed back. Please let me know if you see anything else that I should know...

Old 01-17-2014, 03:33 PM
00X7.3PSD
Senior User
Originally Posted by USCG_PA
Thanks everyone for the feedback on the suspension. I already knew the springs were a little flat, and not having been the one who did the initial lift to clear the 35's, I really have no idea of the quality of the work done.

All this feed back has me looking at systems like BDS where I can get full front and back springs with all the hardware. Since I am not having issues with the headbolts at this time, i may forgo the expense of the teardown and upgrades and focus on the suspension instead.

To be clear though, this truck does not see mush in the way of off road, mainly just beach sand, dirt roads and the occasional rough patch of asphalt. I look at my Ex more as a highway runner, as a "small" big rig

With all the feedback, I think I will be shuffling my expense schedule around this spring, to focus on those springs.

Thanks again!
If you decide to upgrade suspension, pick the best riding. Especially the rear. Front rides well. It's the rear that needs special attention.

They maintain roads very well in the Pacific Northwest. Suspension does not stress as much as roads in California. You have it easy

Old 01-17-2014, 11:11 PM
USCG_PA
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 00X7.3PSD
If you decide to upgrade suspension, pick the best riding. Especially the rear. Front rides well. It's the rear that needs special attention.
I understand the need for a good suspension system, and there are two that I am looking at that will be reasonably with in my budget later this spring, (March or April).

Here they are, I would love some feedback from anyone who has had experience with them.

5.5" Fabtech @ $2,026.04

5.5 Performance System w/ Performance Shocks - 2000-05 Ford Excursion w/ Gas Motor or 6.0L Diesel Engine 4WD

or the 6" BDS @ $1,524.86

1999-2004 Ford F250 / F350 8" lift kit 317H | BDS Suspension

I am looking for a kit that will be a complete spring replacement, and I am leaning towards BDS, however, any feedback would be great!

Thanks for looking!

Quick Reply: a good look at my '03 6.0 Ex