1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

1996 E-SuperDuty Bus

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 09:41 PM
kountzecobra
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I will have to try that.
Got quite a bit done this weekend. Fabricated the taillight "pods" for the new Bergman taillights, and built the door extension panels. Still need to install the latches, do paintwork, and get weatherstripping. More pictures in my album.

Old 04-01-2014, 06:25 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,394 Likes on 1,103 Posts
This is coming along nicely----good work on the door and tail light mods!

Just now noticed your winch----is that permanently attached or removable if needed?

Weather stripping wise if you don't already have a supplier I'd suggest Clips and Fasteners.com---sell a ton of AuVeCo stuff for decent prices, not outrageous on shipping either.

Old 04-01-2014, 11:07 AM
kountzecobra
Tuned
The winch is bolted down and will not be removed.

Old 04-12-2014, 06:51 AM
kountzecobra
Tuned
Finished installing the door latch and prime painted everything bare metal. Also installed a 1600 watt inverter under the passenger seat. Found weatherstripping from McMaster Carr that should work nicely. Fabricated and installed a 4" exhaust system (it now has a nice, deep rumble. Hope its not too loud!) Still have to troubleshoot the rear A/C and cruise control and build something to fasten the ramps to the inside walls when not in use. I will probably do the paint work over Easter weekend. These things are never finished!

Old 04-20-2014, 08:06 AM
kountzecobra
Tuned
Been sick in bed all weekend. Beautiful weather and got nothing done on the bus!

Old 04-21-2014, 06:56 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
That's okay---I did enough on my own van over this holiday weekend with gorgeous weather for both of us!

Get well soon!

Old 04-22-2014, 06:15 AM
kountzecobra
Tuned
Good, thanks for picking up the slack. What all did you get done?

Old 04-22-2014, 06:24 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Cut into the long list of want-to-do's in favor of a must do---fitting a new-to-me Snap On roller cabinet into the work van.

Moving one of those out of one van into its final home was a bit of a chore---had to improvise a stage or platform so no lifting was required. Anchoring it to the floor had me routing a channel fitting the box's footprint into my 3/4" plywood floor. I was only off 1/16" so had to trim that out just a touch and the box slid right into its new spot.

While that wasn't horribly difficult removing the older Snap On boxes and other storage areas plus the almost never used stuff in them took a while. Sorting it all out, finding places in the new Snap On box took even longer.

Still more to do on this aspect but for the most part its pretty much done. New stereo, door speakers and maybe some blend door work coming up----time permitting of course!

Old 06-09-2014, 08:41 PM
kountzecobra
Tuned
I am now considering my bus "fit for duty". This will be the true test to find out if I need to make any changes to the bus. The Cobra is loaded inside for our annual trip to Colorado. The bus will get a 2,000 mile run and the Cobra about another 1,400 miles or so. Finally got the cruise control in the bus working (the cruise control in my wife's truck doesn't work any more ) Hopefully nothing will break down, but if it does, "it's all part of the adventure!!"

Old 06-10-2014, 06:08 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Not sure I wanna know why the wife's CC "suddenly stopped working."?!?!

Hoping your trip is uneventful, at least as far as performance of your hauler. Looking forward to any photos and/or impressions of your trip.

Old 06-11-2014, 06:21 AM
kountzecobra
Tuned
Originally Posted by JWA
Not sure I wanna know why the wife's CC "suddenly stopped working."?!?!

Hoping your trip is uneventful, at least as far as performance of your hauler. Looking forward to any photos and/or impressions of your trip.
Yep, I learned that there are hundreds of different part numbers on the Ford cruise control modules that all look the same. Funny part is there is only one Ford part number that replaces most all of them. I had 3 good ones to choose from in my driveway. I picked the one easiest to remove.

Old 06-11-2014, 06:25 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by kountzecobra
Yep, I learned that there are hundreds of different part numbers on the Ford cruise control modules that all look the same. Funny part is there is only one Ford part number that replaces most all of them. I had 3 good ones to choose from in my driveway.
Ford has been tricky with those under hood modules, the ones that pull a throttle cable. They all look identical even down to the terminal locations however the PCB inside will have slight differences in which terminal connects to which function. I'm sure their thought was making them all "unique" could keep the prices high----some approach $400 so I'm thinking they're right?

Old 06-24-2014, 08:16 PM
kountzecobra
Tuned
Just got back from a 2,000 + mile Test drive to Colorado and back home to Texas. I Love This Bus!!!. Hauls the Cobra just fine. Got a whopping 8mpg and drive and performed great. Had a rear outside tire come apart on the way home, but that could happen to anything. Have to do something about the road noise. This thing is much too loud!! Also needs more heat insulation.

Old 06-25-2014, 05:57 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Your heat and road noise issues might be solved with one addition---a temporary or permanent partition front/rear. I used nothing more than a slightly modified to fit semi-truck sleeper curtain right behind my E250 front seats---nothing but tool boxes and such in the rear anyway. Between my insulating the bare metal side walls with radiant barrier material and 3/4" flooring there is still enough noise to be reduced with the partition curtain.

I'd either heavily tint all those side windows or fashion some sort of panels to cover them. These could be solid or translucent to allow some light in, permanent or easily removable whatever your longer term needs/wants might be. As you probably already know those windows are a huge problem for the heating and A/C systems---the large space also contributing.

My front cabin heat and A/C are so efficient now comfort is easily achieved on most any day here in Ohio.

BTW my curtain is on a sliding rail so easily pulled aside if ever needed.

Old 06-25-2014, 11:56 AM
kountzecobra
Tuned
I have a curtain that keeps the A/C in the front, but that doesn't help the heat from the engine. While traveling, I checked the temp with my heat gun and found the floor under my feet runs up to 116 degrees. I'll be removing the rubber mat and insulating the front floors.

Quick Reply: 1996 E-SuperDuty Bus