1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Clutch Noise

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2014, 11:04 AM
TyBragg
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll figure out something. I'm trying to wait for these sub-zero temperatures and random snow storms to pass. I appreciate the offer to work at your shop, but that is a pretty good haul. Plus, I'd probably go insane listening to the noise for that long! I've got to figure out if it is, in fact, the throw out bearing...

Yesterday I looked for some lithium grease, or really any kind of lubricant, in my workshop, and all I had was belt conditioner. I took the boot off the transmission were the shift fork goes inside the case, then sprayed the belt conditioner on the fork pivot ball (or in the best general direction of it that I could tell). The noise quietened down then. The engine was running as I was doing this, and I noticed a quite rapid up/down movement of the fork. I'm not sure if movement of the fork when the engine is running is normal. I'd like to hear from someone else if theirs vibrates up and down while running (the part of the fork that sticks out of the case). Maybe this has something to do with it.

On another note I forgot to mention earlier - I now have gear rollover, which I have never had before. Same flywheel as before. I figured it may be that this clutch disk is holding firmer than the other one and not absorbing as much vibration, which is now being passed to the transmission. I asked Bill, and he mostly agreed with that logic. Just an interesting note, I thought.

Old 01-23-2014, 11:08 AM
woodtrucker
Senior User
Man. that really stinks! I prayed and prayed that I wouldn't have those same issues when I did my first swap.
my set up was originally luk flywheel and sachs clutch. Made awful gear rolling type noise with clutch out and a chirp that also happened with clutch out. Push clutch in a 1 or less and both noises disappeared. I pulled and resurfaced flywheel, bought a matching luk clutch and PP and ended up buying a new master and slave. I fortunately didn't get any squeaks like you speak of. I'm very curious as to what this may be as I chased things for many months and many dollars. Sorry you are having troubles. That kind of thing can be extremely frustrating!

Old 01-23-2014, 11:24 AM
woodtrucker
Senior User
My fork flopped around like crazy before I swapped out everything. I'll start it up and look when I get home to see if it's improved with my new set up or basically flopping around about the same. I thought it was excessive personally but I'll know tonight I guess.
Regarding gear rollover here are my findings:
I had it bad on the sachs clutch. I pulled pp and clutch and inspected and besides discs being worn and some heat spots in pp in a couple places, it looked good. no springs loose or nothing but it made an awfull gear roll noise. Put the new luk clutch anyway and it was completely gone. of course that noise could have been a pilot or bad throw out but my guess is that it was gear rattle due to that particular clutch being weak. My rattle now is very limited to intermittant when lugging. I'm curious about the preload against the flywheel on all these different clutches. It seems like there is some preload when I torqued the bolts down to flywheel and to me, if that spring pressure is weak, then right there is your rattle resonating all the way through the driveline. But if the spring pressure is high on installation then it's pressuring the flywheel enough (in clutch out position) to cut the rattle except when pressure is off driveline and things loosen up as such in a slow rolling condition in gear. You push the clutch in and the preload is increased by pp fingers pushing against everything from throwout to the engine.
This is purely a speculation base on one clutch install by a very amatuer mechanic with limited experience. I will say I have spent my career designing/building engineered components in Research & Development and spent much of my career trying to troubleshoot and determine issues like this. Again, still just a pure speculation. I'd love to have about three or four different brands of clutches and rig up a fixture to mount these things on and actually measure the forces generated and really find some data to back up these theories. There has to be a mechanical reason some do and don't rattle like crazy and it seems nobody has any good reason backed up by testing. I know. I'm over the top sometimes.... my wife gets on to me about that sometimes!

Old 01-23-2014, 12:17 PM
TyBragg
Elder User
I hear ya man. Nothing wrong with thinking a problem through. I don't think it could be pressure plate related - it's brand new! And just to clarify, I wouldn't say my clutch fork is "flopping" around. The slave is holding it tight, but it moves up and down when the truck is running. I really would like to avoid getting a new master/slave setup...they aren't cheap when you get the whole system. I think last time I checked they were over $200.

Old 01-23-2014, 12:29 PM
woodtrucker
Senior User
I think I paid $194 with a napa discount. Yeah. mine didn't flop either but it moved up and down quite a bit for sure.
I really don't understand why some folks have the gear roll and others don't. it's still a big mystery to me. Hope you get it all lined out soon!

Old 01-23-2014, 12:42 PM
TyBragg
Elder User
Thanks...I hope I do too! Let me know if you get a chance to look under there and see what it does.

Old 01-23-2014, 01:12 PM
woodtrucker
Senior User
I will. Might be about 5:30-6pm or so.

Old 01-24-2014, 08:17 AM
woodtrucker
Senior User
Here's a video of my fork. Sorry I didn't get it last night. We had a funeral to go that I totally forgot about. Took me an hour of fooling this morning to get mine started being 1degree F outside! Stupid cold. Finally started and got this vid. I can DEFINITELY say that the vibe of the fork now is about 50 times less than the up and down vibe I got with the old setup. crazy. And I used the same transmission so it was def clutch/pilot/to/slave related. Hope this helps

Old 01-24-2014, 10:05 AM
TyBragg
Elder User
Thanks for the video. I'll have to check mine again...I'm sure I recall mine moving more than that. You can't really see yours moving at all.

But I did figure out the cause of the noise, and have it resolved for the time being. I stopped at Advance Auto Parts and got a can of white lithium grease, crawled under the truck and took off the boot for the clutch fork, and sprayed the grease all over/around the pivot ball (I couldn't really see, but I could feel the ball...not much head room there). I got in the truck and drove it all the way home with no noise! But, there is still the question of why. And I'll have to look to see how much mine is moving. I don't understand where the movement would be coming from. Maybe it was just noisy because it is so cold...it was -2 when I woke up this morning. It wasn't doing it before though in these temperatures. But the good news is that the T/O bearing is not the culprit, so I guess that is good...unless it is the culprit of all the clutch fork movement. I'll have to get down there on a warmer day and study what's going on.

Old 01-24-2014, 01:22 PM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm sure you know this, but just be careful spraying grease around down there so you don't get any on your new clutch.

Old 01-24-2014, 04:50 PM
TyBragg
Elder User
Originally Posted by DIYMechanic
I'm sure you know this, but just be careful spraying grease around down there so you don't get any on your new clutch.
Yeah, I know. I had the little red tube on there that narrows the spray, and had it right on the pivot ball.

Old 01-24-2014, 04:59 PM
ReBilld
Hotshot
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TyBragg
Yeah, I know. I had the little red tube on there that narrows the spray, and had it right on the pivot ball.
I didn't think to tell you to put a dab of grease on the ball and fork while we had it out. I always do that, but I was in the house when you did that and didn't think about it

Old 01-24-2014, 05:10 PM
woodtrucker
Senior User
I'm sure that will take care of it. Might have to reapply ocassionally. It is tough to get in to that area for sure!
Let us know what you find out when it gets warm. IF it ever gets warm again.

Old 01-25-2014, 05:49 PM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by woodtrucker
I'm sure that will take care of it. Might have to reapply ocassionally. It is tough to get in to that area for sure!
Let us know what you find out when it gets warm. IF it ever gets warm again.
Whattchu talkin' about!? It IS warm here. It got up to 25 here today, lol. Snowing and blowing like a banshee, but that's down right tropical compared to what we have had recently. Next week we're in for it again though...

Hopefully that's all you needed Tyler. I wouldn't think there would be that much movement in the fork all the time, but apparently there is based upon what you guys are seeing.

Old 01-27-2014, 07:47 AM
TyBragg
Elder User
So far so good with the application of grease the other day - still no noise. I've driven it a few times since then. Hopefully it will fix it for a fairly long time. Not warm anytime soon here - it's supposed to get down to -4 tonight here.

Quick Reply: Clutch Noise