1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

1998 Expy EB Temperture Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2013, 09:12 PM
DEMIGOD
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1998 Expy EB Temperture Question

Hello Troops!

Well the wife has been asking me to get a 4x4 to pull our boat up in TN and I was lucky enough to secure a 1998 Expy EB edition 4x4 with the 5.4L engine. I picked it up at a good price and have been going through the Expy to ensure she will make the 750 mile trip to TN with no problems (prevenative maint. kind of stuff).

Anywho, my question is in regards to temperature. I know stock gauges can be flaky, but where does a "normal" needle sit in regards to engine coolant temps? Mine seems to sit at just above the coolant insignia, which is well below half. What makes me leary is that, even with the gauge sitting that low, if I go out and touch the top coolant hose running from thermostat housing > radiator, its pretty damn hot. I mean I can hold on to it for about 5 seconds, but that's all I care to stay in contact with the hose.

Should that hose be that hot? I haven't been around Fords for some time and this is my 1st 5.4L engine. I know gauges are it or miss, but where does yours hover at and should that pipe be that hot?

Expy runs fine..no missing issues during idle, coasting or under load that I can tell. I do get a few drops of water from tail pipe, but heard that was normal.

Give me your input and advise fellas.....

Old 12-24-2013, 09:19 PM
DEMIGOD
Senior User
Here is a pic of my temperature gauge....if it means anything.

With A/C on or off, heat on or off...gauge doesn't really wander. It does start on stone cold "cold" on start up though, if engine hasn't ran for awhile and cooled off...

Old 12-24-2013, 11:20 PM
Mark62
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DEMIGOD
Hello Troops!

I do get a few drops of water from tail pipe, but heard that was normal.

You make some water...during combustion...

Old 12-25-2013, 02:02 AM
expydaddy
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Demigod. Based on that pic of your temp gauge, I'd say that it sits too low.
Does your heat blow hot? Coolant topped off? If your heat is hot. Not wishy-washy, lukewarm, I think it's hot because I don't wanna have to deal with it right now hot. Then I would rule out the T-stat. I would change it and the T-stat housing out regardless, though. It's cheap enough and a fairly simple diy.

Could be the coolant temp switch/sensor? Can't remember off top of my head where it is located in the bay.

Gauge cluster gone bad?

Good luck and keep us posted.

Old 12-25-2013, 02:34 AM
DEMIGOD
Senior User
Hello....

Yeah heat blows out nice and hot and coolant levels have been the same over the past couple days (I've only owned it a couple days). I went ahead and changed out the thermostat. While I was in there....I dint notice anything to alarm me. Coolant was "clean & green".

I know the gauge cluster has been swapped as for there was a discrepancy in the mileage per "AutoCheck", but that didn't really bother me...shes gonna be our boat puller.

Not to keep rattling on about the gauges...but how do the Expy's gauge needles attach to the face of the panel? Are they a simple single push rod, or do the have two pins the needle sits on? I was wondering if the needle may have been screwed around with...if it was the single push rod, I guess someone could remove the needle and turn it counter-clock wise to show a "lower" value....hmmmmm.

I am still just concerned that the Expy is running "hot" because of the way the top radiator hose feels...

Originally Posted by expydaddy
Hey Demigod. Based on that pic of your temp gauge, I'd say that it sits too low.
Does your heat blow hot? Coolant topped off? If your heat is hot. Not wishy-washy, lukewarm, I think it's hot because I don't wanna have to deal with it right now hot. Then I would rule out the T-stat. I would change it and the T-stat housing out regardless, though. It's cheap enough and a fairly simple diy.

Could be the coolant temp switch/sensor? Can't remember off top of my head where it is located in the bay.

Gauge cluster gone bad?

Good luck and keep us posted.

Old 12-25-2013, 09:08 AM
alloro
Received 4,196 Likes on 2,432 Posts
my question is in regards to temperature. I know stock gauges can be flaky, but where does a "normal" needle sit in regards to engine coolant temps?
Both gauges and sending units have tolerances which can affect where the needle sits. The only way to know for sure is to take a temperature reading. I like to use a laser thermometer and point it at the t-stat housing after the engine is nice and warmed up.

Old 12-25-2013, 10:56 AM
DEMIGOD
Senior User
Originally Posted by alloro
Both gauges and sending units have tolerances which can affect where the needle sits. The only way to know for sure is to take a temperature reading. I like to use a laser thermometer and point it at the t-stat housing after the engine is nice and warmed up.

Hello again...you know what...thats a great idea! I need an excuse to go buy a new toy. Can you suggest and or reccommend any right off?

Old 12-25-2013, 09:36 PM
alloro
Can you suggest and or reccommend any right off?
Go to Harbor Freight or eBay and you can find them for $20 or less.

Old 12-26-2013, 03:26 PM
DEMIGOD
Senior User
Hello again fellers!

Well I went to Home Depot and bought a Ryobi Infared Digital Thermometer...they were 31.00, but had a gift card so that ate up most of the cost.

Anywho....took readings from the Expy by aiming the laser at the thermostat (from drivers side) and kept it constant just above the one bolt so my readings wouldn't be too far off....both temps were taken after a quick 5 minute drive.

Drum roll please.........

Sitting in park and idling : 222
Sitting in park w/ AC full blast : 233

What do you guys think about these temps? I just installed a 195 degree thermostat yesterday. I have not seen any leaks or loss in coolant.

Oh and by the way...Im in south Florida...its like 80 out and no breeze.

Last edited by DEMIGOD; 12-26-2013 at 03:27 PM. Reason: Added info
Old 12-26-2013, 05:00 PM
alloro
Sitting in park and idling : 222
Sitting in park w/ AC full blast : 233

What do you guys think about these temps?
Both readings seem about 20 degrees high to me, but that could be a Florida thing or your radiator is partially clogged. At least you've confirmed that your needle is positioned in an okay place.

Old 12-26-2013, 05:49 PM
DEMIGOD
Senior User
Thanks for the reply....

I thought the temp was a tad high myself, but my Dad seems to think they are within normal ranges.

Quick question...if I am getting a reading off the thermostat housing, is the coolant typically cooler, the same, or warmer that the housing I'm getting my reading from?

If there was numerics on the gauge, what do you figure each "?" would read?

Old 12-26-2013, 08:14 PM
DEMIGOD
Senior User
Well guys...

I went back out to the Expy with my new temp gun and wanted to try some more readings. One thing I noticed is that the closer I get with the temp gun, the higher them temps get. The instructions said to use within 2 feet of target surface to eliminate chance of inaccurate readings...no other info on how close you should get.

My initial reading posted above were with the gun about 4 inches away from thermostat housing. This time for S's 'n G's, I held gun up by AIT sensor on intake piping and temps were about 12-15 degrees cooler.

I guess its kind of a guessing game at this point. Anybody out there which readings I should go with? Im probably just going to have to break down and install a gauge and get some data that ways.

Old 12-26-2013, 09:59 PM
timbersteel
Logistics Pro
Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
If you can use a scanner then you can pull live data and it'll show what the temp of the ACT sender is. 220 is pushing high and with AC on, 230 would be higher. FWIW, my gauge is higher reading than yours, so I see what ya mean on inaccurate dash reading.

Have you tried flushing the cooling system without the thermostat installed and then refilling with 50/50 coolant?

I also have used my DVOM with thermocouple, slipped inside the upper radiator hose to get a closer, more accurate reading.

Old 12-27-2013, 02:07 PM
DEMIGOD
Senior User
I was snooping around eBay and took notice of these...seems like it would do the trick...split the upper radiator hose and install along with a probe running to a gauge. Any of you folks use these by chance. I see they are listed in "MM", so gonna have to do some conversion to find the correct size.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/UPGR8-Black-38MM-Water-Temperature-Sensor-Adapter-1-5-I-D-Radiator-Hose-NPT-/380803685963?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item58a9ab1e4b&vxp=mtr#ht_4314wt_1122
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SWOOSH-52mm-Stepper-Motor-Water-Temp-Gauge-Fahrenheit-W-/360782453093?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item54004f5965&vxp=mtr#ht_1777wt_894

Old 12-28-2013, 05:59 PM
DEMIGOD
Senior User
***UPDATE***

This whole scenario below was a case of mistaken identity and "play on words". When I went into AAP I specifically asked for the "sensor" that reads coolant temps and feeds the gauge in the cabin. Well the two parts they supplied me with were in fact "sensors" and not "senders" as I should have announced them as. Gah..I'm a re-re...Ill point the finger at myself first.

Anywho...got the right on this morning, and the stock gauge now sits just a "wee" bit higher than before.

Still looking at putting aftermarket gauge(s) in.

Hello again guys...

Well I figured since I was still deciding on which gauge set up to purchase, I would take the time to change out the stock coolant temperature sensor and see if the stock gauge would go any higher than I previously reported. Well long story short, I went to AAP and bought a Factory Air by 4SEASONS #36447 and installed it. Started the Expy, let her heat up and the needle on the stock gauge didn't move..it set under the big "C" for cold. Went back to AAP, argued with the store guy (another story) and wound up getting another one, this time it was a BWD sensor #WT3058P. Got home, repeat install and same junk...needle wouldn't move.

I have read on AAP's website (customer reviews) that either this particular sensor didn't work, or that particular senor didn't work for what ever reasons more than likely compatability, or maybe even just crap parts off the shelf.

Long story short, anyone got a part # for a coolant temperature sensor they can recommend that works?

Quick Reply: 1998 Expy EB Temperture Question