Stuck on the side of the road 911!

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2013, 02:30 AM
f350hammer
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stuck on the side of the road 911!

Hey guys.
On the way to take my Wifes Girl friend to work my truck shut down and would not fire back up.*No misfire or such -just shut down*.. The over drive light is on *And will not turn off* The wait to start light is on but kinda dim *Differently noticeable*
I checked the fuses and found number 9 to be bad. I changed it and it blew again. Iv tried unplugging the fuel heater but the same thing happened.
Im at a loss here. In 3 days I have to take my 2mth old to have surgery and Friday we leave to see my parents. I need my truck back up and running.
Can some one run me threw the rope and inform me of wear to look for shorts???

Truck has been running like a boss other then this issue here.

Thanks guys - This is some info from a thread that I started some time ago - i wounder if it has something to do with this issue.

Iv noticed a issue with my radio and turn signals - There is appears to be no pattern or rhyme or reason behind the issues (It does appear to happen when cold out side)
Some times my turn signals will not work at all - other times if I flip foreward to brights they will work and other times they wont and viseversa - This seem to go away as the truck warms up. Any Ideas??? Sometimes the turn signal light will blink really fast and other time like normal - sometimes when i hit the turn signal it will just light up and not blink....

HAS NOT DONE THIS FOR SOMETIME NOW! I PULLED THE RADIO AND REWIRED EVERYTHING!!!
Anther thing Iv noticed is - I will go out to my truck in the mornings and the radio will not come on (After market radio) It has done this 2 or 3 times. Im unsure if it is the radio its self is going out or what. I do know it has never shut off going down the road - It will only do it setting over night....

Im going to do more testing - next time it happens and ill let yall know.. But on the odd chance does this sound like a issue someone has had to anyone?

OLDBIRD - FORD PRIDE - FORDMAN - IN THE WORDs OF SHAGGY (WEAR ARE YOU)

97ford/f350/7.3psd/E4OD/256k /Dualy/Super wing mod/

Old 12-15-2013, 02:48 AM
f350hammer
Senior User
Someone help please! PLEASE!PLEASE!

Old 12-15-2013, 02:56 AM
f350hammer
Senior User
IF BEER TO THE FIRST POSTER!

Old 12-15-2013, 03:26 AM
stainlessstroker95
Postmaster
Do you have a chip?

Old 12-15-2013, 07:02 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dangit the beer goes to Gabe, lol.

Fuse number 9 is labeled as a 30A Maxifuse and for: Powertrain Control Module (PCM), PCM Power Relay, Electronic Transmission Control, Injector Pressure Regulator, Injector Driver Module. If that fuse is blowing your truck won't run until we figure out why. Have you done anything under the hood recently?

I think if it was me, I would start with some easy stuff like checking the IDM for water, inspecting wiring at the firewall (bulkhead connectors), maybe unhook some sensors under the hood. If you have a multimeter you can use it to test the circuit instead of replacing the fuse every time you make a test; replacing that fuse a bunch of times could get expensive.

Old 12-15-2013, 08:50 AM
f350hammer
Senior User
Originally Posted by DIYMechanic

Fuse number 9 is labeled as a 30A Maxifuse and for: Powertrain Control Module (PCM), PCM Power Relay, Electronic Transmission Control, Injector Pressure Regulator, Injector Driver Module. If that fuse is blowing your truck won't run until we figure out why. Have you done anything under the hood recently?

I think if it was me, I would start with some easy stuff like checking the IDM for water, inspecting wiring at the firewall (bulkhead connectors), maybe unhook some sensors under the hood. If you have a multimeter you can use it to test the circuit instead of replacing the fuse every time you make a test; replacing that fuse a bunch of times could get expensive.
No sir -I have not done anything under the hood lately. Ill start by checking wiring and stuff. I dont have a chip but I do have a TQ lock up switch - maybe there is issues there. I also know that the connector on the passenger side of the transmission for the shift solenoid is kinda busted up... Wounder if water got in there

Thanks guys. Ill see what happens!

Old 12-15-2013, 08:51 AM
f350hammer
Senior User

(I thought it was 20amp for diesel and 30 for gassers)???

Old 12-15-2013, 08:58 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by f350hammer
(I thought it was 20amp for diesel and 30 for gassers)???
The online manual shows it being a 30A for either gas or diesel. I'd have to check mine to be sure, but that's what the manual says for fuse 9.

Here's a link:
1996 Bronco/F-Series Workshop Manual
Group 18 is electrical distribution, then click on "Power distribution Box". Good luck.

Old 12-15-2013, 09:03 AM
redman84
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Can't see on mobile. Where are you?

Old 12-15-2013, 09:12 AM
f350hammer
Senior User
Originally Posted by redman84
Can't see on mobile. Where are you?
Muskogee ok...

Old 12-15-2013, 09:14 AM
fordman67
Hotshot
Received 398 Likes on 269 Posts
I cant add much as nate is on the right track.i would check that idm and tq lock where its tied in.im nit sure if trrans solenoids are in that circuit..are the fuel boul heater wires tied up good also?

Old 12-15-2013, 09:15 AM
f350hammer
Senior User
The online manual shows it being a 30A for either gas or diesel. I'd have to check mine to be sure, but that's what the manual says for fuse 9.

Here's a link:
1996 Bronco/F-Series Workshop Manual
Group 18 is electrical distribution, then click on "Power distribution Box". Good luck.
Thanks. Our two books are the same expect the type of fuse. Mine shows to be for the pcm as well. Kinda weird how only the type of fuse is different.

Old 12-15-2013, 09:19 AM
fordman67
Hotshot
Received 398 Likes on 269 Posts
What was in it at first?

Old 12-15-2013, 09:19 AM
Jklnhyd
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
So would putting a 30 amp in there, do anything differently?

Old 12-15-2013, 09:25 AM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
Originally Posted by f350hammer
No sir -I have not done anything under the hood lately. Ill start by checking wiring and stuff. I dont have a chip but I do have a TQ lock up switch - maybe there is issues there. I also know that the connector on the passenger side of the transmission for the shift solenoid is kinda busted up... Wounder if water got in there

Thanks guys. Ill see what happens!
I would not think the torque convertor switch would have anything to do with it, I have one on both trucks. You might be onto something about the connector on the trans because you say the OT light is on.

Quick Reply: Stuck on the side of the road 911!