1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

SM clutch conversion holding ability

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2013, 10:49 PM
coreyallan01
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
60 hp tune, 6637 intake and strait pipe exhaust.
Oh great, we're definitely talking the same language then!

Can anyone tell me the difference between the LUK 07-226 and the LUK 07-154A?

Old 12-16-2013, 12:33 PM
plowhand
Playing in the Dirt
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Try these guys: Carolina Clutch and Performance, Inc.: Performance Clutches &amp Flywheels very helpful and can answer any questions that you have about a clutch, just give them a call and tell them what you have and what you want to do with your truck, have done business with them for several years.

Old 12-16-2013, 08:46 PM
coreyallan01
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by plowhand
Try these guys: Carolina Clutch and Performance, Inc.: Performance Clutches &amp Flywheels very helpful and can answer any questions that you have about a clutch, just give them a call and tell them what you have and what you want to do with your truck, have done business with them for several years.
Ha, funny thing is I talked to Tom over there this am, he said their part number 07-154/1 he use to carry 100s of that set up in stock in the late 90s early 2000s, it was an extremely popular kit. He says its got 30% more holding power over stock and will hold my planned 300 +/- hp no prob. He says clutch peddle pressure is greatly reduced to Honda Civic like effort... Sooo, with that said and from what seems to be a popular ringing endorsement for the LUK set up i went ahead and called back after i talked to my buddy whos throwin it in while im gone and ordered it up. It should be there by Thursday Tom said.

Thanks to all the helpful suggestions and opinions, i thoroughly appreciate them. Happy Holidays fellas...

Now on to the intermittent stalling issue..........

Old 12-16-2013, 10:47 PM
FI460
Cargo Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What was your price there? My dad just got a 97 and is going to be looking for at a similar set up.

Old 12-16-2013, 11:08 PM
coreyallan01
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by FI460
What was your price there? My dad just got a 97 and is going to be looking for at a similar set up.
I payed $369 for the whole kit..

Old 12-16-2013, 11:18 PM
jakemb
Senior User
Hi
Been away for awhile and just looking for this info for myself for a project I'm starting.I was wondering on the differance as well between the two clutches as rockauto has a part number 07226 listed,wonder if the same clutch or does luk have a couple differant ones.From their site it looked to be only one.Rockauto does not seem to list the 07-154a only the 07-154 which does not include flywheel.
1996 FORD F-350 Clutch Kit
If anyone has info on these two that would be great,being gone from home working for 6 months the cc project was put on hold and would be nice to collect all the pieces I'm in need of.
thanks

Old 12-16-2013, 11:27 PM
coreyallan01
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by jakemb
Hi
Been away for awhile and just looking for this info for myself for a project I'm starting.I was wondering on the differance as well between the two clutches as rockauto has a part number 07226 listed,wonder if the same clutch or does luk have a couple differant ones.From their site it looked to be only one.Rockauto does not seem to list the 07-154a only the 07-154 which does not include flywheel.
1996 FORD F-350 Clutch Kit
If anyone has info on these two that would be great,being gone from home working for 6 months the cc project was put on hold and would be nice to collect all the pieces I'm in need of.
thanks
Nope Rockauto sells the flywheel separate for the LUK assemblies.. Tom @ Carolina says the 07-226 is the exact same clutch as the 07-154 except includes the flywheel THO the 07-226 is more expensive than if you buy the 07-154 + a flywheel at the same time, hence Carolina Clutch coming up w their own part number for a complete kit 07-154/1... Make sense,nope... Good...lol

Old 12-16-2013, 11:37 PM
jakemb
Senior User
If you go down the page for rock auto that i included the link with there is a 07226 luk that shows includes flywheel for 308.00 Maybe reading it wrong,I've been up awhile !!

Old 12-16-2013, 11:38 PM
jakemb
Senior User
Here is a link to what is included
More Information for LUK 07226

Old 12-16-2013, 11:47 PM
coreyallan01
Fleet Mechanic
Here is a link to what is included
More Information for LUK 07226
Nope, i believe you are correct! I missed that one or passed it buy initally maybe because it wasnt a 07-154 that i knew of at that point anyway... Good deal, 1 left....

I really like RockAuto, i did a ton of buisness with them when i lived down in the US Virgin Islands, they'd ship to PO boxes, everyone elses stiff would get caught up in customs.... Lol, look at the shipping.... 5-6day or there goes your wad....

Old 12-16-2013, 11:55 PM
jakemb
Senior User
I went back to luk site,they do list it the same way rock does witht he 07154 as a clutch only and the 07226 as a complete kit.Never dealt with them before,suppose get a list together.The prices look good,I was acually looking at the site for a complete suspension bushing kit which I didn't see as well as a downpipe to install while the trans is out.I'm sure the list will get longer as it always does.
thanks again

Old 12-17-2013, 12:02 AM
coreyallan01
Fleet Mechanic
I went back to luk site,they do list it the same way rock does witht he 07154 as a clutch only and the 07226 as a complete kit.Never dealt with them before,suppose get a list together.The prices look good,I was acually looking at the site for a complete suspension bushing kit which I didn't see as well as a downpipe to install while the trans is out.I'm sure the list will get longer as it always does.
thanks again
Dont forget about checking the up-pipe gaskets when the tranny is down.... Happy Holidays

Old 01-09-2014, 12:18 PM
coreyallan01
Fleet Mechanic
Update: the LUK clutch has been installed and I couldn't have asked for a better peddle feel. LUK claims very minor gear rollover and from what I've experienced it's not that bad tho I have nothing to compare it to. Despite the minor rollover I'd still like to do something about it. I've read a bit about it and I really don't want to add any more ATF in addition to the ammount called for. I would however be interested in what those of you who've gone to Amsoil CTL powershift specifically. I haven't read that many positives about Redline and I've seen a few people praising Royal Purple. I guess if you've has glaring positive results from something please post it up... Thanks.

Old 01-09-2014, 12:52 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
You aren't really going to notice any gear rollover difference just by changing fluid. Fill the trans up to the fill plug and add one more quart. You should notice a slight difference by doing that. I don't know why you're worried about adding the extra quart, but you can stop being worried about it. This is not an automatic. Putting an extra quart in it is not going to hurt anything, it's just enough to raise the fluid level and muffle the noise in the case a tad bit. Aside from that, the gear rollover will go away with time. It won't be extremely soon, but it will eventually disappear.

Old 01-09-2014, 02:17 PM
OldWoodsDiesel
Posting Guru
just read this thread complete and was going to chime in that I'm quite happy with my used Luk SMF setup I bought from a guy on here (can't remember the name right now). but you've already gone that way, so good for you.

as for gear rollover, I've read about it countless times, but can someone describe it a bit better. the sounds that come from my truck don't bother me at all - its loud, but its a truck and I didn't really notice any more noise coming from my ZF5 than when I had the E4OD in the truck. I do notice a kind of grumbling sound if I'm in too high a gear for the speed and throttle position, though. like if I get into 3rd gear and I'm down around 1000rpms, giving it too much pedal. I if accelerate more slowly (i.e. let off the pedal a bit) it quiets down. and it never happens at higher RPMs - or at least its quieter than the engine is. I always thought this noise was coming from the engine as I've had it in other manual trans vehicles I've owned (and assumed it certainly can't be good for the engine), but is this gear rolloever in the tranny?

for what its worth though, in my case, and with the same clutch - I hear no tranny noises whatsoever above ~1150 in every gear. I am using just 4 quarts Mobil1 ATF - I think that might slightly overfilled, but not by much. I am bone stock, tuning-wise at the moment. 6637 and 3" DP are the only engine mods.

Quick Reply: SM clutch conversion holding ability