Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tie rods are shot: Parts required, do anything else while it's apart?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2013, 10:32 PM
Golden Helmet
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tie rods are shot: Parts required, do anything else while it's apart?

Lately I've been hearing more creaking and clunking from my front end. We got it up on a rack today, and sure enough, both my front wheels have side-to-side play in them. The drivers side is worse than the passenger, but they both need to go. I couldn't check up and down play much since my truck was creatively balanced on the lift at the time

Anyways, I'm browsing the parts list on the O'Reilly website. Here's what I'm seeing listed:

Tie rod end, front left outer
Tie rod end, front right outer

Tie rod end, front right inner
Tie rod end, front left inner

So, to do this right, am I correct in assuming that I need one of each of the above? Do I need any other bushings, joints, etc.? I'd ideally like to buy all the parts in advance and take them to the front end shop, just to be sure I don't get stuck with El Cheapo parts.

Additionally, is there anything else that "might as well" be done while all this is apart? Would this be a good time to get the steering gearbox replaced, or is that job the same amount of effort with or without the tie rod job?

The mandatory information: the truck is prettymuch bone stock. No suspension or body lifts, stock size wheels and tires, 4x4, TTB front axle, nothing special. It's a daily driver and rare hauler, so it doesn't get to go play in the mud.

Anyways, I'd appreciate any information you guys could share. Explain it like I'm 5, ok?

Old 12-06-2013, 09:36 AM
svp_evo
Senior User
Not sure about the other work "needed", but for me..anytime I have something pulled apart I replace all suspect worn items if I can afford it. If you can afford it I would just go through the front since you are going to have it all apart anyhow.

For parts, check Truck Parts & Truck Accessories for Chevy, GMC, Ford & Dodge Trucks | LMCTruck.com or Early Bronco Restoration Full Size Bronco Restoration Classic Ford Bronco Parts For Sale They have some pretty nice exploded images on LMC and decent prices (better than my local Orielly) you can kind of get an idea of what else might be worth the time to replace.(within Budget)

Old 12-06-2013, 01:01 PM
Truck Guy99
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I always replace the pitman arm when I'm doing front end work. It's also a good idea to replace the steering box and check for shaft wobble.

Old 12-06-2013, 08:00 PM
Golden Helmet
Senior User
So I took the truck in to a front end shop today. The mechanic checked it out and he said that there was some play, but not a lot. He said it's prettymuch normal for these trucks to have a little play, and it's not bad enough to really warrant rebuilding the front end yet.

He also greased up the tie rods, they were bone dry. The boots look good, no cracks or anything, they just haven't been greased in a while. He told me that the driver side wheel bearing is going dry too, it made some faint noise, but nothing critical (no back-and-forth play at all). The auto hubs have to come out for that job though, so whenever I get a set of Warn hubs, it'll get new bearings too.

I think I'll be holding off on the tie rods for a while, unless you guys have some information that I don't. I'll check them every oil change or so and see if the play gets worse. I kinda like the idea of not spending $500-600+ right now if I don't have to >.>