Sponsored by: Moser

Yet Another Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2014, 10:41 AM
Aaron-71
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by lbumpers
I gotta say... it feels really good to have it back in the Garage!
I am so turning green with envy right now. I need to get back at my build. Your frame looks great though!

Old 12-03-2014, 10:13 AM
lbumpers
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks

Thanks everyone for looking in. I am getting pretty excited to start some of the re-assembly in the coming weeks.

Originally Posted by nitro_rat
Rubber parts that have been stored in a controlled environment for long periods of time can experience a rapid degradation when exposed to the real world (as opposed to a package on a shelf in a warehouse).

This can be disappointing when the high dollar "NOS" window seals dry up and crack in a year to be worse than the originals. By a modern replacment, learn a lesson, and move on.
Thanks for the advice... I would love to say "Yeah, I thought about that" but honestly I can't. I will keep this in mind and keep and eye on those parts specifically. I doubt this truck sees the road again in the next couple years so I may revisit those brakes before it does.

Old 12-03-2014, 11:25 AM
75Three90
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
For rubber pieces, I.e. Window seals ect ive used good ol petroleum jelly before storing them, helps keep the rubber pliable

Old 01-07-2015, 10:16 AM
lbumpers
Junior User
Merry Christmas to Me!

So one of the items on my Christmas list this year was a proper air compressor. I had an old Kobalt that wouldn't do much other than burn up belts and have been dealing with a little pancake I picked up from Harbor Freight just to have something for tires and the occasional brad nailer. Time for an upgrade. I may have posted earlier that I have had my eye on an Ingersoll Rand from Tractor Supply for a while and well I guess I was a good enough boy this year so my wife twisted my arm to go get it. Now that I think about it she may have just been tired of hearing me talk about it. Either way

I went and picked it up. They used a fork lift to put it on the back of my truck and I was scared to death that it wouldn't make the trip to the house without rolling off the truck. It does look top heavy. Anyway I got it strapped and tied (after going back in to buy more rope) well enough that I thought I could do 20 mph back to the house. Now that I am thinking about it I wish I had a picture of it on the truck. I did get the nerve up to drive faster but not much. I did the 8 miles back to the house at no more than 35.

Getting it off the truck was another challenge cause man the top of that thing was way up there. I called a buddy of mine over and he brought his Father-in-law. I got the shop crane out and hooked to the hole in the center of the motor and pump mounting platform. Took off the tailgate to get close enough and it lifted it just enough to take most of the weight off the truck and topped out. The other two guys got up in the bed to push the truck back down and we were in business.

Well that was all right before Christmas and it took me a couple weeks to get it installed and hooked up but it's in now and running like a champ! I still have some air supply piping to do before I call this project complete but it is usable for now. Here are some pics! I even threw one of the wife in there for perspective... I told her it didn't look that big in the store, but I am not sure she bought that.

Oh and I almost forgot. I picked up a blast cabinet from Harbor Freight. I know there are tons of mods for these but it is completely stock right now.

Attached Images      
Old 01-07-2015, 12:20 PM
somethingclever
Cargo Master
Received 188 Likes on 135 Posts
your wife looks thrilled...LOL

BTW double check the min distance between the fan and wall....yours looks tight.

Old 01-07-2015, 01:21 PM
77_f250_custom
Senior User
Hey man. This is an awesome truck, and the history is even better. Can't wait to see what you do with it.

Old 01-08-2015, 08:59 AM
Aaron-71
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Air compressor + Blasting cabinet. I don't think I can turn any more green

This build is gaining some steam!

Old 01-16-2015, 11:56 PM
1958 Ford F250
Senior User
Congrats !!

Congrats on the new Compressor, they definitely are very helpful when you have the right one . The Frame came out really nice..... Time for assembly

Old 02-27-2015, 04:03 PM
ford_pickup
Elder User
Great job so far, looking forward to progress

Old 04-16-2015, 10:52 AM
lbumpers
Junior User
It's been a while

I know its been a while since I've posted an update. Honestly I just couldn't bring myself to post without any progress. So, now that I have made a little headway here's an update.

The frame has been sitting on jack stands for months now. So many I'd have to go back through this thread to try to determine how many. Anyway its ridin high on wheels now. Well, 2 outta 4 at least. I had someone local sandblast the frame and paint it for me but with new air compressor and blasting pot on hand I tackled the front suspension myself. wow does that make a mess I primed and painted it up with Eastwood's 2K AeroSpray epoxy primer and chassis black semi gloss. Overall I am pretty happy with the results.

About a year ago now I picked up new axel pivot and radius arm bushings from NPD in Florida on my way back home from Disney World with the Family. I finally put those to work.

This whole spurt started after I made a parts list and found the local auto store had my whole list in stock. Rotors, Outer Bearings, Inner Bearings, Inner Seal, Brake Pads, and new cotter pins.

The next thing on the list is a tie rod and draglink. Then I think I can call the front suspension complete.

I also got to install the front brake calipers I rebuilt in a previous update. Bolted up the RedHead at least temporary. I am not sure if that will need to come back off or not but it was taking up shelf space. and I used some diamond clear on the Brake distribution block and slapped it on. I've still got to double check it's orientation but I still had daylight left after the front suspension and I was just looking for stuff to put on. Plus, brake and fuel lines will be coming up next after the rear is squared away.

I will be searching for a 9" to replace the Dana 44. I am switching to the nine for a future upgrade to disc brakes. From what I have seen its a lot easier/cheaper upgrade for the 9. They are pretty abundant in the salvage yards but I have time to be a little picky so we'll see.

Alright here are some pics for those like me that like to read but love the pics.

Attached Images