Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

White Lightnin' Build thread (88 F150 4x4)

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2015, 01:43 PM
Redneckfordf2502002
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Trying to keep moving. Bad weather doesn't help and I still have to get a few more parts I need to get. Waiting a little over a year will kick you in high gear. LOL.

I am surprised how much I like it also. I think if the gaskets were any other color I would say different.

Anybody got a pic of the valve covers of a 302 showing the bolts. I have all the bolts but can't remember exactly where they go. Also need one of the water pump on the timing cover so I can tell what bolts go where. If it weren't for everything being in the way on the 90 I would look at it but that truck has all the smog stuff and such blocking it (it was terrible replacing the valve cover gaskets).

If this engine runs as good as it looks I will be more then happy. LOL

EDIT: also on the t-chain I don't remember if the one I got was adjustable or not but if it is should I advance, retard, or keep it stock for the timing gears? if advancing or retarding how far should I go if it is possible.
Trav

Old 03-20-2015, 08:01 PM
fordboy97
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If nobody gets back to you on the water pump bolt locations by tomorrow morning Trav I got ya. On the valve cover bolts the ones with the studs go on the inside for the wiring harness to sit over.

Old 03-21-2015, 01:01 PM
Redneckfordf2502002
Post Fiend
I found out the water pump part last night.
I have a bunch of different bolts so I don't know exactly which one for the valve covers. I am going to have to find a pic as I looked at the 90 and it looks like we put stuff in the wrong spot but not sure. I could have swore I kept everything organized but that doesn't mean somebody else had been in the 90.

Last night got the cam, t-chain, lifters, timing cover, new water pump, and harmonic balancer put on the engine. I layed the valve covers on it and lower intake after finally getting it cleaned. Also cleaned the injectors.
Unfortunately ripped my fuel lines for my fuel rail so I have to look for one of those.
Trav

Old 03-22-2015, 11:37 AM
Redneckfordf2502002
Post Fiend
Yesterday didn't get as much done as I had hoped but did get the fuel pressure regulator changed, motor mounts cleaned, exhaust manifolds and accessories for it cleaned, and distributor cleaned.

Getting close! Hoping to have her running and broke in by May but only time will tell.
Trav

Old 03-28-2015, 09:19 AM
rugermack
Posting Guru
My wifes new car has black leather interior, doesn't get hot. know why, this revolutionary stuff called window tint.

Trav just use dark tint and the problem will be under control.

Old 03-28-2015, 10:15 AM
Redneckfordf2502002
Post Fiend
Ya I am defiantly going for a dark tint but still legal. The back window is already tinted pretty dark.

Unfortunately no updates yet. I started a part time job and between it and school haven't had time yet.
Trav

Old 03-28-2015, 01:25 PM
rugermack
Posting Guru
Sometimes thats the way it works, a little at a time.

Old 03-28-2015, 01:37 PM
Redneckfordf2502002
Post Fiend
Yep. Hopefully I get enough money my first paycheck to afford gas in the explorer and a few more parts for my 88. Then the days I am off get the engine in and hopefully broke in.

I should have no problem with it since $10 will get me their and back twice. If my 88 doesn't cost to much more for gas I may drive it but if it costs a lot more I will only be driving her once in a while.

Still aiming toward getting her going and broke in by may for a couple reasons one I will let you know if I do make my entire goal. LOL
Trav

Old 04-19-2015, 10:47 PM
Redneckfordf2502002
Post Fiend

Would upload more photos but computer is going into retard state like usual.

Engine is looking just like the pic above just with the powersteering and ac bracket on.

Dad removed the dent from when it fell in the fire pit on the bed.

Hopefully tomorrow will get it more wrapped up. Either next pay day or the following pay day will get the few more parts I need. Right now driving the GMC since the explorer blew up (runs but overheats). I should have her running by may and registered and insured. This will be my permanent daily driver instead of my original thoughts of the explorer being it.

Once I get a few more things done on her that are cheap and will make her more reliable I plan to start saving money for:
trick flow 170cc aluminum heads
1.7 or 1.72 roller rockers
headers
aftermarket valve covers
4.10 or 4.56 gears
dual exhaust system
and electric fan

Then after that going to start with exterior work including:
paint job
HID projector headlights *will be making my own of these and paint the chrome black then put the clear corner lens on unless I decided I mine as well just buy them from him* click here for example: Teaser....87-91 headlights - FSB Forums
these smoked tail lights: Retrofitted LED taillights - FSB Forums
soft bed cover
moog cc844s
33s
and start adding my lights.

I may venture a bit away from the plan every once in a while but going to try to stick to the plan.
Trying to get as many hours in at work so that I can be able to pay for it.
Decided I am not going to go hot rod build (the 408) with this truck as I am planning after I get the above plan plus a little more to get a 66 or 67 mercury comet convertible, ford fairlane convertible, or Ranchero with a 514 stroker lowered 2 inches front IFS, 4 linked rear, c6, and custom candy apple red paint job!
Trav

Old 04-21-2015, 08:52 AM
rugermack
Posting Guru
Getting there Trav, soon you'll hear the roar.

Old 04-21-2015, 12:03 PM
Redneckfordf2502002
Post Fiend
Yep can't wait. The intake is almost completely painted (intake is painted aluminum color and the letters are all black. Got to get one or two more coats of black on the intake letters then will be happy.) Also got to pick up 2 heli coils so I can finish installing the powersteering and ac bracket along with alternator bracket. I also pressure washed everything underneath so that I can actually see my transmission and transfer case.
not this Friday but next Friday I should be able to afford the following parts which should get me going:
speedometer gear in transfer case
thermostat gasket
coolant
break in oil
another oil filter
zinc additive
the helicoils needed
rear chrome bumper I found in great shape
pcv valve
and maybe some more vaccum line hose.

I won't be making my goal for sure but that's ok. Reason I wanted it going and broke in by begging of may was because the free dyno is coming up and I wanted to see what she would do before I buy the other stuff. Being she will only be going but not broke in I don't want to chance a problem it isn't that important to me.

Thinking I am going to keep the headlights and tail lights stock on her instead of going for the smoked look. The laws up here are kinda fishy on weather it is legal or not and I don't want to get pulled over. Plus it doesn't look bad with the way it is. After seeing the way the projector headlights are coming out I personally don't like the look.
Also thinking 32s instead of 33s. The 33s are a bit more stuffed then I like with a leveling kit but the 31s just aren't quite wide enough (the 32s would be 11.5s).
It is getting close to exactly the way I want it.

Since I got the 92 F250 to play around a bit with I am thinking I don't want to go to radical and not have a good daily driver. I'll be doing more to her then I listed but going to be a little more stock then I had originally planned yet still look good.
Trav

Old 04-21-2015, 01:17 PM
Bob Gervais
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Looking great Trav! That correct ford gray looks great.

Old 04-21-2015, 01:26 PM
Redneckfordf2502002
Post Fiend
Thanks. It may darken a little after the engine is warmed up a little bit but either way I think it will still look great.

I am hoping the hood goes back on as nice as it was before when I get to that stage. I haven't put the hood back on yet because it is easier to get all that under hood stuff on when the hood is off.

Quick question I am thinking when I put the new heads on I might get these valve covers http://www.summitracing.com/parts/fm...view/make/ford
Do you guys think those will look good with the gray engine, aluminum and black intake and black headers?

If they aren't going to look good I probably will keep the stock valve covers.
Trav

Old 04-21-2015, 01:30 PM
Bob Gervais
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think those valve covers would look great. Bare aluminum on the fins is tough to keep looking good in my climate, but in yours they shouldn't be an issue.

As far as the paint, it'll probably stay the way it is. When I rebuilt the engine in my SHO years ago, I used the same paint, because it was that color from the factory. Looked just as good when I sold it five years after the rebuild.

Old 04-21-2015, 01:50 PM
Redneckfordf2502002
Post Fiend
Do you think clear coating the valve covers will help it any? Just worried if the heat might ruin the clear coat.
I think they will do alright but if I can do something to protect it even more that would be nicer.
Also thinking I may do similar for the trans pan and rear end cover to make it flow more.
Trav

Quick Reply: White Lightnin' Build thread (88 F150 4x4)