1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

feeling betrayed

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2013, 10:16 PM
Project-55
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
feeling betrayed

Here I am in Oregon doing the xmas tree harvest thing (again for year 17) and we have a weather day. So I decide to check around and see if I can score a 3 piece bench seat for the truck.

I make 20--30 calls and finally find a complete seat at Fosters auto. We wheel and deal for a while and finally settle on a price and I lock the deal down (or so I thought). They said that it would take them a day or so to pull the seat and that I could pick it up Tuesday morning (I made the deal on Saturday afternoon).

So I had a little time between jobs today and checked my e-mail and here was one from Fosters. Thinking it was one telling me that my order was ready for pick up, I quickly opened it only to find that they had sold it to someone else who walked in and had cash in hand to pay for it.

What kind of BS is that!!!!!!!!!!.

Just because I declined to give out my credit card number to some dick wad that I have never met they feel it is perfectly ok to sell the part they have committed to sell to me the next day..............I am PO'ed to say the least.

Well, I have a job to do so I went back to work but late this afternoon I had a chance to call Foster's and ended up talking to some jerk who was supposedly the main man and he had the friggin ***** to tell me they were a cash and carry operation and money talks and BS walks, no deal is done until they have cash in hand and beings I hadn't paid for the parts sight unseen it was all my fault that they sold them after committing to sell them to me...............man I am smoking.........

I will never ............friggin ever............ buy ANYTHING from LKQ Foster...............When I make a deal, it's done, I don't make a deal then break it just because someone else walks buy and is willing to pay me the same price (or even more)

end of rant but not my anger

Old 11-11-2013, 10:51 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 614 Likes on 381 Posts
I hate to say it, but I don't know anyone who will hold a part without a deposit. I wouldn't. Was this deal done over the phone? I won't mention names but 3 months after an FTE member swore to me we had a deal on some fenders, they are going to someone else because they plunked down the money.

Old 11-11-2013, 11:40 PM
jimcar-9
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
I know a guy that holds parts for me, A really nice guy....

But then I have no intention not paying him, he is nice and put parts on a list so that I can save some shipping fees.

Old 11-11-2013, 11:51 PM
jimcar-9
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
???

EDIT:

Original post deleted:

Somehow the post ended up in the wrong thread?

Old 11-11-2013, 11:58 PM
Kurt G.
Laughing Gas
Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Jim, yes I did speak with them the other day. Are you calling during the correct time slot (I do not know what time zone you are in). I do not think the would ditz you like that.

Old 11-12-2013, 12:04 AM
das54
Elder User
Sorry you got stiffed here in Oregon and hope the rest of your stint here goes better. When LKQ bought out the you-pull-it in Sherwood prices jumped and customer service tanked but they built a really nice building. then Schnitzer bought it and it got worse.

Old 11-12-2013, 07:37 AM
FortyNiner
Logistics Pro
Received 290 Likes on 168 Posts
Sorry, until money changes hands the deal isn't done. The promise that some one will show up isn't the same as skin in the game.

Old 11-12-2013, 07:57 AM
Wolfracing
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
At least a deposit over the phone with CC I would think. So many times phone calls never end up showing up.

Old 11-12-2013, 10:09 AM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
LKQ is a large corporation. I get parts quoted from them almost daily in my industry. you should feel safe to give them your CC over the phone. The worst that would happen with any CC transaction is that you'd have dispute the charges. Most banks offer CC fraud protection.

Old 11-12-2013, 10:31 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 66 Likes on 37 Posts
For extra safety, take out a special credit card just for phone and/or online transactions with a low limit on it, the max you are likely to spend on any one transaction. Pay it off as soon as the transaction has completed.
Things to watch/avoid:
DON'T get a debit card or prepaid debit card! Debit cards DO NOT have the same protections as a credit card. A debit card is just a plastic check, you cannot dispute charges thru the card issuer.
Watch all statements and correspondence from the card issuer for them automatically upping the limit on the card "because you are such a good customer". You have the right to dispute and have such increases reversed.
Be sure you understand the interest rate (watch for low short time introductory rates, or rates that will skyrocket if you make a payment as little as one day late), no interest grace period (if any, some cards now start accruing interest from the day the charge is made until it is paid)

Old 11-12-2013, 10:40 AM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by AXracer
For extra safety, take out a special credit card just for phone and/or online transactions with a low limit on it, the max you are likely to spend on any one transaction. Pay it off as soon as the transaction has completed.
Things to watch/avoid:
DON'T get a debit card or prepaid debit card! Debit cards DO NOT have the same protections as a credit card. A debit card is just a plastic check, you cannot dispute charges thru the card issuer.
Watch all statements and correspondence from the card issuer for them automatically upping the limit on the card "because you are such a good customer". You have the right to dispute and have such increases reversed.
Be sure you understand the interest rate (watch for low short time introductory rates, or rates that will skyrocket if you make a payment as little as one day late), no interest grace period (if any, some cards now start accruing interest from the day the charge is made until it is paid)
AX, you may want to check with your financial institution because any major bank will provide protection and dispute process for any debit card purchase as long as it was used as a credit card. Debit card transactions require the use of your PIN. If the debit card PIN was used without your authority, most banks will provide protection as long as a poice report is filed.

Old 11-12-2013, 12:20 PM
Project-55
Elder User
I have calmed down now and will log this incident as one of those things that happen in life.

But I am still saddened at the state of our society when a commitment can be broken so easily.

I can fully understand if I had failed to show up today (which is when they told me the seat would be ready for pickup) and they sold it to someone else because that was the deal I had made.

Oh well, I am still early in my build so I have plenty of time to find another seat. LOL,, it seems that finding a seat is becoming my biggest challenge as this is the second one I have lost out on.

Again, forgive my rant but it kept me from popping a hole in the motel wall last night.

Old 11-12-2013, 12:40 PM
Wolfracing
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Project-55
I have calmed down now and will log this incident as one of those things that happen in life.

But I am still saddened at the state of our society when a commitment can be broken so easily.

I can fully understand if I had failed to show up today (which is when they told me the seat would be ready for pickup) and they sold it to someone else because that was the deal I had made.

Oh well, I am still early in my build so I have plenty of time to find another seat. LOL,, it seems that finding a seat is becoming my biggest challenge as this is the second one I have lost out on.

Again, forgive my rant but it kept me from popping a hole in the motel wall last night.
Oh, I understand your frustration! But Craigslist inquires have burned so many suppliers who passed up another opportunity to turn a part into cash due to a prior agreement, that cash is certainly now....King. You are right. It is kind of a sad commentary. You and I wouldn't stiff someone after committing to a part, but for every one of us, there are dozens who do and wouldn't think twice about it. Our word seems to mean very little today.

Old 11-12-2013, 12:46 PM
avf100
Fleet Mechanic
Received 401 Likes on 189 Posts
I was in the auto salvage business for over 25 years, and it was the person at the counter with $ that got the part. Unless I knew the customer on the phone, then I would hold the part for them.

Old 11-12-2013, 03:57 PM
lowtrkn2k
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
funny I still know people who are scared to use a credit card online. I really don't worry because the CC bank will cover your butt if there is any fraudulent charges ect. Of course Ax is giving some really good advice and you should check with your bank/cc issuer to be sure of the details but 95% of CC's follow the principal of the "customer is right" which is a nice feeling when you are dealing with some shady types.

Quick Reply: feeling betrayed