Brakes, Steering, Suspension, Tires, & Wheels  

1992 E350 based RV - Brake Issue(s): Advice?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2013, 11:48 AM
sunuvabug
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1992 E350 based RV - Brake Issue(s): Advice?

Here's the scenario, my '92 E-350 based Class C RV has been parked and not driven (just started occasionally) for almost 2 years now. It is facing forward on a bit of an uphill incline so I set the parking brake, rolled back onto wheel chocks and then put it in park to take the tension off the transmission.

I now have both brake dash lights that have come on ... the ABS rear brake light (came on first about 6 months ago (still was not being driven anywhere) and the parking brake light now. I needed to take it in for an emissions (smog) test this morning so I started it up and couldn't fully release the foot operated parking brake. Both dash brake lights remained on and the brake pedal could be depressed way down past "normal" and they felt spongy. I drove to the e-test station a few miles away with both lights on and the spongy feel. (yes I took it very easy and waited for the morning traffic to die down)

When I arrived, I could smell the rear right brakes so I assume they were still binding/holding a bit. The drive down felt otherwise normal (not a whole lot of increased resistance while driving). I'm thinking the two "brake light" issues are unrelated since the lights came on at different times. The brakes were checked and maintained 2 years ago < 500 miles on them since. back then, my mechanic told me the trouble then was one of the springs on the rear (not sure which one) had broken and the brakes were not fully engaging (same spongy feeling ... probably had about 30% braking power as a guesstimate).

So here I sit in my driveway after passing the e-test, both brake lights on and not sure where to start. I've never worked on brakes before but I'd like an idea as to what may be wrong before I take it in to my mechanic who I do trust. if it's simple enough ... I'll even tackle it myself. I do have a full set of factory manuals.

Thoughts, advice, comments? Thanks in advance, ~ Bugjr ~

Old 11-08-2013, 06:33 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,393 Likes on 1,102 Posts
Not meaning any offense but if your mechanic is trusted and you've never before tackled brakes it might be best to let him dig into this.

The broken spring isn't a huge issue and it sounds as though the E-brake cables leading into the different sides aren't releasing which typically means they've rusted in the applied position; replacing or both is the cure. Just like the broken spring both these operations require removing the rear drums.

Probably the worst thing people with RV's do is leave them sit as so often happens. Things such as this tend to go undiscovered until its time to dust it off and take a trip, often times such things delay or cancel the trip.

Anyway hope this works out easily for you---doesn't sound too expensive.

Old 11-08-2013, 07:48 AM
sunuvabug
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No offence taken. Your right about RV's ... especially here in Canada. Ours sits dormant for about 1/2 the year and every Spring we hold our breath to see what needs attention.

Thanks for your ideas on the brakes ... I always like to have a sense of what is going on before I take anything to the shop. Makes me more knowledgeable and less likely to be taken advantage of.