Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2013, 12:53 AM
Yellow Peril
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pirelli Scorpion AT in da Snow...?

Hi All,

First winter in my new ride coming up... 2012 screw sb 4x4

BC... ski country, serious snow... notorious mountain highways (Coquahalla)

Will these tires do ok or should I be getting some proper extreme weather tires? I have heard they are great in snow, they are ok if you are careful and that they suck....

They are fairly new so I'd wait till next winter if I could, but don't want to be at risk this season...

I could wait a few weeks and go try them out on the local mountain... but don't want to be scrambling for the perfect tire at the last minute when they fail - cause you now the best ones will be unavailable by that point and i am not the type to settle for what's left...

Thanks,

Steve

Old 11-04-2013, 12:57 AM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Received 128 Likes on 43 Posts
i've driven a few 2009-up f-150s with the pirelli's and i was astounded by how horrible they where in any kind of ice/snow situation. that said i use dedicated snow tires (blizzaks and cooper discover M+S studded) on all my trucks so i'm used to having amazing grip in the winter. if you are not going to be dealing with slick conditions for months on end you can get by i'm sure.

Old 11-04-2013, 02:35 AM
PrinceValium
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
I have the bridgestone dueler tires and wonder how they will do as well.

Old 11-04-2013, 05:43 PM
Big-Red-Lariat
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I've had PIRELLI Scorpions on 2 trucks, and replaced them both with PIRELLI Scorpions...they work just fine in Canadian heavy snow&ice and are smooth during a mid-winter run to Florida and back without having to swap out snow tires. Nothing wrong with these at all and will buy them again.

Old 11-04-2013, 06:48 PM
Yellow Peril
Junior User
Well there you go... One 'they are ok' and one 'they are fine"...

I am accustomed to nokian vatiiva's on my old f350.... Plenty of grip. Could be they aren't up to my expectations... I am on the mountain twice a week through out the winter and travel the Coq 4 or 5 times as well...

I will assume these are going to take a bit of finesse and caution. I'll see how it goes and be prepared to go buy a proper tire if I feel they are unsafe.

Thanks for your input.

S

Old 11-04-2013, 09:04 PM
excoelis
Junior User
I have been running my PIRELLI Scorpions year round since 2010 and going into this winter with them and have 56,000km on them. No issues with them but I think there are better tires for the winter. I am going to switch them out for Toyo Gsi 5 this winter and I think I will see a huge difference for the winter.

Old 11-04-2013, 11:16 PM
Pool Runner
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
My '13, FX4 came with these wrapped around the stock 20" wheels. Truthfully, we do 99% of our hard core winter driving in my wife's Subaru mostly because I haven't found a better winter driving appliance on this planet.

That said I'm very curious about these Scorpions in snow, slush and ice as well. The tread pattern looks like the tire is better suited for all-season use as opposed to any serious winter driving.

I also think that advanced traction control technology has gotten so good, even average to just so so tires appear to be good.

Best tire Ive ever experienced in snow on a truck was, and still holds true today the BFG, All Terrain KO. It's designed mostly for fire roads, trails and desert but is surprisingly a great winter tire as well.

When my Scorpions wear down I will replace them with those, that is unless I score a screaming deal on some Raptor take offs with the All Terrains already in place.

Old 11-05-2013, 12:20 AM
bigblueknight
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by Pool Runner
My '13, FX4 came with these wrapped around the stock 20" wheels. Truthfully, we do 99% of our hard core winter driving in my wife's Subaru mostly because I haven't found a better winter driving appliance on this planet.

That said I'm very curious about these Scorpions in snow, slush and ice as well. The tread pattern looks like the tire is better suited for all-season use as opposed to any serious winter driving.

I also think that advanced traction control technology has gotten so good, even average to just so so tires appear to be good.

Best tire Ive ever experienced in snow on a truck was, and still holds true today the BFG, All Terrain KO. It's designed mostly for fire roads, trails and desert but is surprisingly a great winter tire as well.

When my Scorpions wear down I will replace them with those, that is unless I score a screaming deal on some Raptor take offs with the All Terrains already in place.
I'm curious as well, Just got a set of scorpions on 20" wheels on my new truck. They didn't look too impressive on the hoof but I guess I'll see on wednesday when my truck gets here.

Old 11-05-2013, 11:00 AM
tspangle84
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I absolutely hated them on my '07. Replaced them with Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armors, and it was like driving a different truck. To be fair, the Pirellis were getting worn , though, too. But I figure, with so many choices, why get them again?

Old 11-05-2013, 08:54 PM
Pool Runner
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
How often do you guys rotate your stock Perelli Scorpion tires?

Old 11-06-2013, 09:54 AM
Buck 1
Posting Guru

Mine are rotated every 5000 miles

Old 11-06-2013, 11:16 AM
adkhunter
Freshman User
Sisters bf had them stock on his truck and I drove it in the snow and ice and wow what a nightmare. I highly suggest getting better tires. They are good on dry seasons and even rain but snow and ice no way. Especially if you are doing a lot of driving in the mountains where snowfalls can be heavy at times. Not worth the risk in my opinion. If you can afford it put the best you can get on there. I won't suggest any tires because idk what type of tire your looking for (bigger size overall, aggresivness, highway style etc). I will say that I run more aggressive tires all the time and I had great results with toyo mts in the past and currently I installed a set of Hercules terra trac DTs in febuary and they performed absolutely amazing in the snow and ice. I have a real nasty steep driveway that becomes extremely dangerous in winter and after I installed the hurcules the truck made it up and down with ease.

Old 11-12-2013, 10:35 AM
g0rilla
New User
I was with my buddy (calgary police officer) in his 2012 FX4 Screw Eco with the scorpions on it. and we had a bit of snow here last weekend (2") on the roads. even in 4x4 the tires were absolute slicks. We almost hit the ditch twice, and this guy is one of CPS best drivers. I would never take those tires into the mountains in the winter.

Come on you are a BC boy, you KNOW you need winter tires for the mountains in the winter...

g0rilla

EDIT

I second the hercules winter tires, I just wish they made a size bigger than 265/70/17 for a 17" rim

Old 12-01-2013, 04:16 PM
Yellow Peril
Junior User
The truck is now sporting Nokian Rotiiva 275/55/20's.
Nokian Rotiiva AT
Haven't tested them yet on snow and ice, but these are the same tires I put on my F350 last year and couldn't be happier with them.
KAL tire promotes them as the best that they carry, and that is good enough for me.
Already see the difference on wet pavement... the rear end no longer breaks loose as easily. If you want to spin the tires you would really have to do it on purpose.

Thanks for the input everyone.
YP

Old 12-01-2013, 08:06 PM
RISUPERCREWMAN
Senior User
I had BFG's All Terrain KO's when I had my 07 XLT! Best tire in all conditions period!

Quick Reply: Pirelli Scorpion AT in da Snow...?