6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

New to me 2010 SD!

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2013, 10:55 AM
Midwest Dually
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New to me 2010 SD!

I mostly have been involved in the 7.3PS section as that was my first diesel.. But the time finally came when I needed to add to the collection! So I will be hanging around here learning more now! LOL! Got a steal of a deal on it ($4000 less then KBB), so i couldn't pass it up! Normally I couldnt swing this kind of a truck, but have been admiring them for some time! I have a few friends that have the same model, and I watch the crazy dumb stuff they put theirs through, and the fact they still hold up, made a big impact on my new purchase. I can say though, I wont be doing anything near what they do to theirs, but its nice to know it can handle it!

I have lots of questions!

I would like to know, since this is my first 6.4, what things do i need to be aware of, as compared with the old 7.3?

DEF info? Recommended additives? I usually use Howes, but if there is something better recommended, do share!

In the future, I would like to do the Regen Delete (No worries about warren tee, as there is none). and I hear Spartan is the best tuner to use and interface with Fords software.

I know the EGR coolers are somewhat of a big issue with these guys, and would like to complete the delete on that later, so i will be researching about that as well!

But any feedback would be awesome!

Old 10-26-2013, 11:09 AM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
Received 83 Likes on 16 Posts
Congrats on the truck! Really sharp! As far as advice, use ONLY Ford filters(oil and fuel), change oil every 5k and fuel filters every 10k. Drain the HFCM(under driver's door) once a month. Try not to shut the truck down while it is in REGEN. If you have to, put it in PARK and wait about a minute to allow REGEN process to stop. Watch your coolant levels and color. Watch the places you get fuel and try to get it from very busy places for diesel. Don't "baby" it. Exercise her regularly and enjoy. There is no DEF for 6.4L trucks. There is lots of reading you can do with this very subject. Good luck with your truck. They were made to work! And work hard!. I hope she serves you well!
Monty

Old 10-26-2013, 05:47 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,416 Likes on 1,011 Posts
EGR coolers or oil coolers are not problematic. Maintain the cooling system, fluid checks weekly and like Monty said, severe maint and oem filters

Attached Images
File Type: pdf
coolant maint tips.pdf (32.2 KB, 250 views)
Old 10-26-2013, 07:13 PM
bubbasz1
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Nice truck, congratulation and welcome to the club. Lots of good info on this forum, so you have lots to read!

Old 10-27-2013, 07:00 PM
Midwest Dually
Posting Guru
Thank you guys! I did get the CarFax on it, and I am the second owner. The previous owner did what he was supposed to by keeping it regularly maintained, and on schedule. So i know its my turn to pick up the ball on it! I like that there has not been a lot of "screwing under the hood" with it, and was not abused.

Monty... When you say "dont baby it".. What do you mean? I ask this as every single fiber in my body tells me not to abuse something this nice! LOL! I am an "**** ****" when it comes to maintenance and proper care, including not abusing anything of mine! If you could give me a little more insight, that would be great! I know what these monsters are capable of, and how much abuse they can take.. I just want mine to go on forever.

My 94 7.3PS CC DRW gets abused in many ways (4 ton on the bed, hauling heavy loads), but I dont push it to the point of tweaking it nor killing it! So That is why I ask.

I guess what I want to know, is what is the proper way to drive this thing. I have a 35 mile highway commute to town daily, and have to haul hay, firewood, parts, tow trailers, and so on, on a regular basis.

Old 10-27-2013, 07:11 PM
todouble
Junior User
What Monty means when he says "dont baby it" = means dont be shy about leaning on the skinny peddle. Its good to work em hard. Keeps things cleaned out!

Old 10-28-2013, 01:46 PM
GHeTTo JOe
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
they are a lot better off when not idled for extended amounts of time. they really designed them to be driven day in and day out, long hauls are best but if you keep an eye on the oil level making sure you dont get too much fuel in it from regens and keep the idle up if it does do alot of idling you should be in good shape.

Old 10-28-2013, 03:07 PM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
Received 83 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Midwest Dually
Thank you guys!

Monty... When you say "dont baby it".. What do you mean? I ask this as every single fiber in my body tells me not to abuse something this nice! LOL! I am an "**** ****" when it comes to maintenance and proper care, including not abusing anything of mine! If you could give me a little more insight, that would be great! I know what these monsters are capable of, and how much abuse they can take.. I just want mine to go on forever.

I guess what I want to know, is what is the proper way to drive this thing. I have a 35 mile highway commute to town daily, and have to haul hay, firewood, parts, tow trailers, and so on, on a regular basis.
Originally Posted by todouble
What Monty means when he says "dont baby it" = means dont be shy about leaning on the skinny peddle. Its good to work em hard. Keeps things cleaned out!

Exactly! These trucks love to be 'exercised'! They love to be driven hard. And by that I mean, towing heavy loads and occasionally(once daily or every other day) run the boost up with a wipe open throttle start or by WOT going down a ramp or something like that. You are not hurting the truck at all, watch your speed as you don't get into trouble and let the turbos get a little exercise. They will thank you for that immensely! Plus you get to feel all that POWER!!