1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

weird problem on my 04 navigator air suspension

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 04:04 PM
freddyfcs
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
weird problem on my 04 navigator air suspension

Hi there guys.First i have to say that this forum is a life saver and helped me a lot with my problems on my navi.This is my second navigator and im really happy with but its giving me a hard time on the last few days.
So i decided to get help here before buying expensive parts for it not knowing what the real problem is.
So far i replaced both front sensors and the car was fine for maybe 3 months.now is acting weird again.
When i start the car in the morning(cold start)the compressor starts like it should do,inflates all 4 bags but the front ones after half way full deflates by themselves.
So if i drive the car with them low or wait for 10 minutes,turn the car on off they go back to normal height.
For example if i drive the car on a highway for 5 miles and stop at a traffic light,they come back up again normally.

So far what i came up with:

*Didn't notice any air leaks
*On the first start i can hear the front bags deflating not leaking(it looks like the compressor is pumping air but the solenoids are open)
*it only happens on the first start of the day(if i turn the car off 100 times after that it will inflate and deflate normally)
*checked the rear sensor today and its fine( i can actually rear the click that they make)
*unplugged the rear sensor and lifted the arm all the way up (on the first start)and only the rear inflated.Did it again with the car hot and all 4 inflated.
*Checked front sensors and both are connected.
*compressor runs fine and do not overheat.
*if i drive with it low i get the "check air suspension msg" but after the bags go back to normal the msg goes away.

Originally i thought my rear sensor was the culprit but it works fine(i guess)and now i'm throwing my guess at the suspension control module

Any help would be very,very appreciated..thanks guys

Old 10-22-2013, 11:50 PM
alloro
Received 4,213 Likes on 2,448 Posts
Are the new front sensors OEM or aftermarket?

Old 10-24-2013, 08:48 AM
freddyfcs
New User
Originally Posted by alloro
Are the new front sensors OEM or aftermarket?
brand new oem sensors
im still thinking is the rear sensor because the little arm that goes up and down is loose and the new ones aren't.

Old 01-29-2015, 03:22 PM
willschill
New User
Thumbs up Right Front Sensor Arm

Yes - This thread made my day. Only Right Passenger wheel would not lift in COLD weather, but I found the link off, spray lubed and locked it back in place. Thanks!

Old 02-09-2016, 12:40 PM
Starry Night
Junior User
Any Update on this old thread... Having issues with my 04 Navigator and new Doorman Height Sensors. Front end keeps dropping when cold overnight.

Old 02-10-2016, 04:02 AM
rla2005
Hotshot
Received 1,172 Likes on 926 Posts
Originally Posted by Starry Night
Any Update on this old thread... Having issues with my 04 Navigator and new Doorman Height Sensors. Front end keeps dropping when cold overnight.
Looks like an issue with leaking front air bags to me not the sensors. If the front inflates to the correct height after starting the truck I would start looking for leaks at the bags and check the solenoid o-rings.

FWIW my '05 Navigator does the same overnight drop in the rear. The bags and solenoids pass the soapy water test, it looks like bad o-rings between the bags and shocks.

I did find a bad right front height sensor a few weeks ago. I replaced both with Dorman brand. Fixed the issue and I did not have to do a re-calibration.

Old 02-14-2016, 09:43 AM
Starry Night
Junior User
I replaced all 4 shocks last April with Sun Core shocks and air compressor. All was fine then air compressor started leaking at the drier and dropped the shock to bottom. Suncore replaced it and I installed the new compressor again. Works fine for 2 months and again started leaking at the drier. While this happend my fronts would drop to the wheel wells at night. I replace with the the old original compressor and I am sending it back to Suncore again. So I checked everything again and thought it was my height sensors as it said check suspension. So I replaced the fronts with Dormans. Front dropped to wells again but not the back shocks this time. Must have been compressor related prior. I called Dorman and they said they need to be calibrated by a shop with ford software. I said really, it does not say that on there web site. So now they are changing it on the website.
Getting back to my issue, the only way to get the compressor to kick on was to jack up the front side of the truck by 1"-2"s and bang the compressor kicked on. I was surprised, so I guess they need to be calibrated.

Has anyone done this and can you do it yourself? If you went to the stealership what did they charge? If it has to go in I will have them fix/replace my oil pan gasket as well as it has a minor leak and drops oil on my driveway....

Old 02-14-2016, 11:19 AM
alloro
I replaced the fronts with Dormans.
Lots of people have issues with aftermarket height sensors. Once they switch to an OEM one the problem goes away.

Old 02-14-2016, 02:22 PM
Starry Night
Junior User
It figures! I was told that Dormans are flashed but need calibration. So do factory OEM need calibration. Dorman told me their height sensors are OE parts and approved . What would happen if I installed my old OEM height sensors? Would they need to be calibrated as well?

Old 02-14-2016, 03:29 PM
rla2005
Hotshot
I guess I got lucky using Dorman replacements.

Old 02-14-2016, 03:32 PM
rla2005
Hotshot
What would happen if I installed my old OEM height sensors? Would they need to be calibrated as well?
In my opinion they should not require a recalibration since they are original.

In my case the left front factory sensor developed a large dead - band. I had no choice but to replace it. After thorough testing it was the only thing left.

Old 02-15-2016, 09:37 AM
alloro
So do factory OEM need calibration.
Nope...they are plug and play.

Old 02-15-2016, 06:10 PM
Starry Night
Junior User
Alloro,
I called Lincoln this morning to set up an appointment for my oil leak and asked them if they would need to be re-calibrated, they said yes. Are you a service Mechanic by trade? And is this your professional opinion ? Just trying to find out the correct answer...this thing is driving me nuts...

If they do not need to be re-calibrated then why would my front air bags be deflating every day? I could not find a leak with soapy water near the solenoid so on the bags. Also why would both deflate at the same time? And always overnight. In the morning the tire are touching the wheel wells. I used a jack on the right front side near the tire on the frame this morning and jacked it up less than half inch and bingo compressor went on and set the front tires to normal height again. When I return home from work the tires were still in an ok position but I know tomorrow they will not. This is the article I located regarding re-calibration.

Lincoln Navigator: i have 2005 navigator i need to calibrate

Old 02-16-2016, 01:35 AM
alloro
I'm basing my remarks on having changed height sensors before and not having to recalibrate anything. The dealer wants to charge your for the diagnostic cost, the height sensor, the labor to install it, and the fee to recalibrate the system whether you need it or not. That's why repairs at the dealer cost 2-3 times what most any other service garage costs.

Old 02-17-2016, 06:21 PM
Starry Night
Junior User
So I dropped of the truck to have the re-calibrate the height sensor and check the solenoids on the two front shock. I just hate doing to the dealer, the service reps are the dumbest I have ever seen. I describe to them what is going on then proceeds to tell them what to check for in a systematic approach and get back to me with their findings. The idiot tells me there are 3 C fault with corresponding numbers and they should be replaced. Of course it's the solenoids to the shocks, the height sensors, and the compressor. I proceed to tell him no sh$t I told you that's what you will find. After replacing my shocks less than a year ago, and I removed the parts during testing. I said did you clear everything out and retest for leaks in the solenoids and re-calibrate the sensors? He told me ah, no, because the code tell us tot here is a problem. I told him to have the mechanic call me. I told him you idiot, you told me you needed to re-calibrate the height sensor and I told you they were Dorman OE approve height sensors. They are morons,

So I asked him about the oil pan leak, and he quoted $500 and then proceeded to tell me that my rear main seal is leaking and that why oil is leaking near the pan. That would cost $1600. I told him oh really, you show me were oil was leaking from the rear main seal to the oils pan. I then proceeded to ask him well if it's leaking there why are you going to change the oil pan gasket. Of course he peddled back and said a that's what they think it is. I said you want to charge me because you THINK that's what it is? Holy.....IT...gotta love dealership. So after 20 min on the phone he said he would have the mechanic call me tomorrow. What I find amazing is they had the truck from 8:00am and did not call me till 3:45 and they did nothing!

So getting back to my issue this morning the truck did not lower all the way to the wheel well as it did on Sat - Mon. When we had 3-5 degree temps. Today it was 52 and I started the truck and the compressor started normally and no check suspension. So I am leaning towards faulty solenoid on the shocks. We shall see...