1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WYD? Fix OEM or Replace Stereo

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2013, 04:40 AM
GamerGirlAlice
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by scotttahoe
I don't see why it wouldn't hold up in your truck. The suspension systems are all the same, unless you don't run stock. Like my truck for instance, after market stiffer springs. Probably a much more harsher ride than yours. I have a buddy with an identical truck for his band equipment on the weekend and work in the week, and his ride is a lot smoother especially when it's loaded down. The only reason why it would short out is bad wiring.
so you think it would be ok then. if i get enough i would buy my dream nav radio then

Old 10-13-2013, 04:42 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 457 Likes on 310 Posts
Yes, they do use Jensens in RVs all the time. Don't buy one! My two cents.

Steve

Old 10-13-2013, 04:54 AM
GamerGirlAlice
Senior User
people tell me the Alpine INE-W927HD is better then the Kenwood Excelon DNN990HD. i was wondering what you all think. specially since i found out with your alls help a nav radio will work nicely in the truck with no worries.

Old 10-13-2013, 08:32 AM
AdvAutoBob
New User
I've used Pioneer units in most all of my drivers for the last 25 years, and have had nothing but great service out of them... The only problem I had with one, was the unit in my Silverado dually I just traded off for my SD, which was the CD getting stuck inside (still played great.. just wouldn't eject).. but considering it happened after 10 YEARS of being in a 1-ton truck... I can let that slide.

My SD has the base AM/FM/CD in it, but I have a new Pioneer AVH-X3500BHS with backup camera ready to install in it (have to have DVD on the road for long tows to the races!). So when I do the install, I'll post it up with pics if that'll help you make a decision.

Old 10-13-2013, 08:38 AM
sammy77
Postmaster
Definitely get an aftermarket radio. You don't realize how bad the stock units sounds, until you've tried a good aftermarket one. Kenwood in general is very good, I've had 3 in my trucks.They use Garmin for their navigation. The more options on them, the more $$$ you pay. My last Kenwood had everything on it, bluetooth, dvd, usb, navigation, pandora, satellite, hd radio. I paid close to $1k for it though. Shop around for a good deal.

Old 10-13-2013, 08:54 AM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Received 971 Likes on 767 Posts
Originally Posted by sammy77
Definitely get an aftermarket radio. You don't realize how bad the stock units sounds until you've tried a good aftermarket one.
+100. I don't care what "audio system" a vehicle comes factory equipped with and how much the manufacturer up charges for it, none of them will approach the sound quality of a high quality aftermarket system. On that note Jensen has NEVER been known to produce anything of high quality, look around you will not see a Jensen product topping the list in any car, home, or pro audio publication, while you will find a Sony, Pioneer, or Alpine there.

As far as what features to look for, once you rip your music to MP3 and put it on a flash drive you will never bring a CD into the truck again.. it's just far too convenient to have your whole music library on a single storage device that you plug in once and forget about. If you spend any time in your truck and want to be able to take calls be sure to get a Bluetooth enabled head unit, and NAV is always nice to have but be prepared to spend quite a it more to get that feature.

Old 10-13-2013, 08:59 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 457 Likes on 310 Posts
Although I do not have a DVD or nav, my Pioneer is great and the Bluetooth with my cell is extremely clear!

Old 10-13-2013, 09:28 AM
Army RET
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I guess I'm the odd ball. Over the years I've replaced several OEM units with alternatives. Each time I've been unhappy with all those tiny buttons.

Last Aug. I purchased an older F250 with an after market unit; to my untrained ears it sounded like crap. I rummaged around and found an old OEM AM/FM/Cassette that I pulled from an F150 that I purchased long ago (98). A direct fit - an improved sound - and much greater ergonomics!

I even found two briefcase type boxes of metal cassette tapes (from Bose). So far I've played 2 cassettes and am impressed with their quality, even after all these years of rest.

My suggestion, find a used OEM unit.

Old 10-13-2013, 09:40 AM
superseal
Junior User
I have the Pioneer avicz150 and love it,...Nav, bluetooth, cd, dvd, sd, back up camera, etc...

Be prepared to fork over a few bucks, but in the end, I still like it.

Old 10-13-2013, 01:38 PM
AdvAutoBob
New User
Very nice!

Old 10-13-2013, 01:50 PM
GamerGirlAlice
Senior User
i must admit i really like the Kenwood Excelon DNN990HD with the garmin nav. always have preferred garmin nav software. also have another idea for a stereo if u can call it a stereo. its called a carputer, and basically a computer in your dash. there is a cool program called centerfuse that makes it a super powerful nav radio. i'm pusting some videos of the software and curious of your alls opinion.

Old 10-13-2013, 02:02 PM
madsonp
Received 76 Likes on 64 Posts
I myself also have always gone with Pioneer systems and haven't had any issues with any of them, the only reason I replace them is to keep up with technology, however Kenwood, and Alpine are built just a well. I also agree with everyone else as far as Jensen, they're junk. Which ever brand you go with unless you know what you're doing you'll want to have it professionally installed by one of your local car stereo dealers especially when you get into one of the navigation systems because they can be more complex. I install all of my own systems but I been doing it for years, when I get a new vehicle that's the first thing I do to it is take out the stock system and put in a Pioneer because of the improvement in sound. Here's a photo of the Pioneer navigation system I have in my truck.

Old 10-13-2013, 02:17 PM
Skip1970
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
the one thing i noticed about my pioneers is the supertuner in the new ones doesnt tune in stations as good as the old ones, and the ones with oled displays burn out after years. i have one i payed 500$ for back in the day when it was top dog, now i cant use it because its oled display isnt visable, really ticks me off since i spent hundreds more on all the specific IPBUS assessories for it..

Old 10-13-2013, 02:34 PM
GamerGirlAlice
Senior User
problem is i don't know any kenwood exelon installers in my area. clarion,alpine, pioneer are all easy to find. but like i said i love the garmin nav on kenwood, and i love the warm sound i got from all my old kenwood radios

Old 10-13-2013, 02:57 PM
madsonp
Received 76 Likes on 64 Posts
Any good car stereo dealer should be able to install it no matter what the make.

Quick Reply: WYD? Fix OEM or Replace Stereo