1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

UPDATE: Well she runs, but do I now have a bad injector?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 07:25 PM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts
If it is a cracked pickup, running it low on oil is going to suck air easier than running it over filled a little bit imo. If it has good oil, it shouldn't aerate. If its running low, that pickup where cracked/pinholed is going to suck in air.

My thinking anyway.

Old 10-16-2013, 07:39 PM
wezol5484
Postmaster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Would running it two quarts high be hard on anything? Or would it be okay to run it like that for a while. I may run an extra quart of oil then the second quart would be lucas?

The knocking and missing in the videos, is that what it is? An injector "backfiring"? Why would it only be one injector? It only seems to be passenger side rear is where the noise is coming from.

Old 10-16-2013, 07:47 PM
fordpride
Post Fiend
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Who did the last oil change ?
Was the correct oil put in ?

Old 10-16-2013, 08:05 PM
wezol5484
Postmaster

Originally Posted by fordpride
Who did the last oil change ?
Was the correct oil put in ?
I'm not sure who did the last oil change. The mechanic said that was his first suspicion when he found out the oil was getting air in it, but somehow he ruled that out (how, I'm not sure). There is no sticker on the window, so I'm assuming the previous owner did the oil change. I will be doing an oil change tomorrow hopefully. Will run Rotella 15/40. Don't plan on using synthetic, seems that may make the problem more noticeable.

Any guesses as to why there is a knocking that seems to only come from the rear passenger side that seems to knock consistent with the miss fire? It also can be heard just idling and driving even when not miss firing, just not as severe.

Old 10-16-2013, 08:58 PM
fordpride
Post Fiend
Most injector knock is from low fuel pressure or a loose injector.

Old 10-17-2013, 06:25 PM
wezol5484
Postmaster

Ok, I don't know what the fuel pressure is, my tire gauge I have won't fit on the Schroeder valve, need to find one with a flexible fitting.

I love this truck, but damn. One more thing I forgot to mention, that seemed to begin a few days before the problems showed up and after I did the shim mod.

When braking, or turning (in sync with bumps while turning), the motor bogs down to around 500 rpms. It does while braking hard, if I slow down softly, it doesn't bog. When turning and braking, it will bog more if I hit a bump. Is this related to the cracked pick up tube (if that's what it really is)? I undid the shim mod and no change.

Also, today for the first time since the problems arose, I took it on the highway and it did just fine. Now though, when I let off the throttle, I can feel and hear a whine/slight grind. I feel it in the pedal and in the steering wheel. It goes away when I get back into the throttle and only noticed it when above 50-55 mph.

It does have an aftermarket down pipe and it's extremely close to the firewall. I also know the cab mounts need to be tightened up. So I'm kind of hoping that it's just the down pipe hitting the firewall as far as the vibration upon deceleration. I initially thought the sound of it bogging down could be the cab coming into contact with the down pipe changing the pitch of the motor, until I noticed the rpms also dropping.

Could these all be related?

I will change the oil, add Lucas, probably some fuel treatment, and put in the old IPR this weekend.

I just want this truck to run like it did when I bought it a few weeks ago. I wonder if the PO did anything before he sold it to me to hide this, but I don't know.

Ideas? I'm determined to keep this truck. I love it. I just don't know quite where to begin and I'm hoping it's all related instead of separate issues.

Old 10-17-2013, 07:34 PM
427 fordman
Hotshot
You need to get a gauge and check the fuel pressure.

Does the whining/grinding sound come from the front of the truck then? I'm assuming so if you can feel it in the steering wheel. Raise it up and check the wheel bearings. If its in the rear, it could be bearings in the rear end area.

I wouldn't add anything to the oil, just change it with some good diesel rated oil. Rotella, motorcraft, etc. I also don't think the ipr swap would make any difference.

Old 10-17-2013, 07:59 PM
wezol5484
Postmaster

I'll keep the new IPR in there then. I still want to add some Lucas for good measure. I noticed today that it sounds perfect for the first 1-2 minutes of driving, whether it sat for 30 minutes of two hrs. Also, after it sat for an hour or so at my sobs baseball practice, the whine/grind didn't happen on the way home. It's almost as if it never happened. Also, over the past two days, the problems seem to have ALMOST gotten better, not worse. It cruised just fine at 70 mph.

The bogging dying turning/braking bothers me. It's never died or acted like it was going to die, just bogs, and never below 500 rpms. It seems so weird that it does it in sync with bumps while turning and going slow.

Old 10-17-2013, 08:00 PM
wezol5484
Postmaster

Where did y'all find a gauge from? I have two tire gauges and neither will fit in the space to actually get into the Schroeder valve.

Old 10-17-2013, 09:09 PM
fordpride
Post Fiend
Like Darin said DONT add the Lucas. Fill it with good Deisel oil and see if that helps. If the wrong oil was put in then that could cause the oil aeration. You can always drain a little oil and add the Lucas latter.

A regular cheap stick style tire gauge fits well

Old 10-17-2013, 09:14 PM
wezol5484
Postmaster

Originally Posted by fordpride
Like Darin said DONT add the Lucas. Fill it with good Deisel oil and see if that helps. If the wrong oil was put in then that could cause the oil aeration. You can always drain a little oil and add the Lucas latter.

A regular cheap stick style tire gauge fits well
Gotcha.

Out of curiosity, why not add it?

Old 10-17-2013, 09:33 PM
fordpride
Post Fiend
Lucas isn't designed for the HEUI injection system and can foam under high pressure. If it was running on just the low pressure oil side it would be fine but when it starts to see 2200-3000psi it can foam

Old 10-17-2013, 10:01 PM
wezol5484
Postmaster

Good to know, thanks fordpride.

Old 10-20-2013, 03:28 PM
wezol5484
Postmaster

A little update,

I fooled around with the truck this weekend a little. I left the new IPR in the truck and changed the oil with rotella 15-40 and no change. I overfilled it by two quarts and still no change. This morning I checked my fuel pressure (with the shim mod removed) and it read at least 50 psi, the pressure gauge I had only went to 50. I did notice a small drip from the FPR, it's slowly dripping from where the little one wire plug is up top.

I pulled the drivers side valve cover which is the side I hear the knocking, and the UCVH is new and all connections are good. I unplugged each injector one by one, and idle drops with each one unplugged. I also would rev it up with each one unplugged and it would still knock and miss. So I'm assuming the injectors are good, which is what the mechanic told me.

SO, as a last ditch effort I drained two quarts of oil and added a quart of Lucas the it drove much much better. So now it's overfilled by one quart. It does miss when I rev it in park but not near as bad as it was. It also didn't miss at all when I drove it. So from that, I guess it really is the pick up tube drawing air.

Question, will it hurt to drive it like this for an extended period of time barring the crack or hole in the pick up staying the way it is and not growing? I really don't have a choice but the drive it but I'm curious.

I really appreciate all the help. I love my truck and am still happy to have it.

Old 10-20-2013, 04:05 PM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Not sure what to tell ya how safe it is to drive like that if that's really the case. Hopefully it will be ok, I guess all you can do is see.

Quick Reply: UPDATE: Well she runs, but do I now have a bad injector?