Electrical Problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2013, 12:30 AM
lovestrucks
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Electrical Problems

Really needing your guys' help in diagnosing an on going electrical problem I'm having. It's on a 05 X 4x4 V10 with almost 113k miles.

Background
Last summer took a road trip and alternator went out and was replaced. On that trip started seeing problems with my cruise control, when the headlights(HID's) turn on they dim the dash, and hi's cause the speedometer and other gauges to quickly flux and then go back to proper readings.

Everything was "alright" in the sense that the only problems were those stated above. Well tuesday night on my way home from school, I was driving on the surface streets, stopped at a light.....then all of a sudden the battery symbol on the dash flashed and no more than a second later, the car stopped. All dash lights/radio (double din) still on and headlights still on, but couldn't start the X at all. Was able to wait a bit and once my parents got there it did start and I was able to pull off to the side and diagnose it a little better, dad looked at it and at the moment couldn't really tell what would be wrong. I had him drive it home for me though. It's been starting fine again but I have NO CLUE as to what to look for and really would like to find out what's happening.

To be honest I do not have the time to work on my X right now and will be bringing it to a shop to get it looked at, however I want to do my best to actually know/understand what the problem is.

Thanks in advance
-Steph

Old 10-04-2013, 06:39 AM
Franklin2
Received 1,683 Likes on 1,359 Posts
Could be a loose connection, could be a bad alternator. If you bought a rebuilt alternator when the other one went bad, it could very well be that. Sometimes you get a dud from the store, and it just gets passed around from one person to another.

Old 10-04-2013, 10:28 AM
lovestrucks
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Franklin2
Could be a loose connection, could be a bad alternator. If you bought a rebuilt alternator when the other one went bad, it could very well be that. Sometimes you get a dud from the store, and it just gets passed around from one person to another.
Ok thanks, it does have a "remanufactured" sticker on it. I guess I should start there, and then work backwards to see if there are any other little gremlins.