Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

What did you do to your IDI today?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2014, 10:24 PM
jesse24spd
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Patched rotted steel rear tank lines so I can use that tank full of expensive fuel.

Old 01-24-2015, 12:51 AM
shorerider16
Senior User
Installed an auxiliary fuse block for all my lights and other accessories, put a fuse from the battery to the distribution stud and cleaned up some of the wiring in the passenger side fender. It sure looks better than all the inline fuse holders that I had before and leaves room to add more accessories in the future.

Old 01-24-2015, 11:11 AM
FordTruckfan89
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Ordered motorcraft greaseable ball joints and a standard motor products battery cable from Rockauto.com. hopefully I can get them put in soon.

Old 04-06-2015, 06:54 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
chip truck;
Oil Change Mobil 1 Fully Synthetic Turbo Diesel Truck 5W-40 Oil & Mobil 1 M1-601 Synthetic Fiber Extended Performance Oil Filter.
i bumped her timing up from 7.5 to 8.5 today.hoping i can creep her mpg's back up into the 14 range again.she's been pulling too many 12-13 mpgs last year.

got her washed up,vacuumed,cleaned up inside the other day.time for her spring front wheel line up and front end greasing,along with dump bed greasing.getting her ready for another season of heavy hauling.

log truck;
got the correct TECA installed the other day from when i pulled a boner and installed a pickup teca.traded with a member here.he had the f450's (a turbo spec no less! like finding a needle in a hay stack there) and i had a fresh reman pickup.she's just about melted out from the snow bank i plowed up all around her so i can probably sneak her out tomorrow and run her down the road and see how she goes.

Old 04-06-2015, 10:25 PM
tecgod13
Logistics Pro
Received 120 Likes on 101 Posts
Pulled the studded snow tires off the rear of my '93. In the process I discovered the clunk I've heard every now and then when letting the clutch out. The u-joint at the rear diff was a little worn out... to the point that two opposing caps had completely lost the needle bearings. I can't believe it was still holding together.
Fortunately I had one on the shelf so it was a quick swap and back on the road.

Also had a chance to test the 6-way trailer plug that a previous owner had installed. Seems to work fine, but it only has the basic lights wired up. I'll eventually be swapping it to a 7-way and putting in a brake controller, but its nice to know the lights will work if I have to tow anything with that truck.

Old 04-07-2015, 12:54 AM
1989seventhree
New User
Back when I first bought my truck I took it for a safety inspection and the guy told me the rad cradle / support was too rusty to pass.. So my dad and I ripped the whole front end out of the truck out and replaced it. Hoping that's the most major thing I have to do for a while lol, there's pictures on my profile of the work and the old part we ripped out, wasn't pretty but just goes to show what 26 Canadian winters can do.

Oh yeah and when we were putting it back together with the new one we thought we had misplaced bolts that went through the front of the inner fender (the actual well not the body panel). On further inspection we noticed that on the old part this portion was simply "gone", it had rusted so bad.

Sorta glad I was forced to fix this cause I wouldn't be in a hurry to do it otherwise just for time's sake, but its good to know that big heavy rad is in good "hands".

Old 04-07-2015, 03:13 PM
FordTruckfan89
Fleet Mechanic
Got A 3G for $40, swapped pulleys, somehow managed to mess the bearings up, and it wont charge, even though it tested good before hand...

Old 04-07-2015, 03:42 PM
Realslowww
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I kicked it!

Old 04-07-2015, 06:05 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
log truck;
took her out for a spin.oh man i forgot the caddy ride this custom stretched gal has! omg it must ride 5x easier than chip does. she's shifting at the proper time now,and locking her converter up in 3rd like it's supposed to where the pickups teca wouldn't command lockup so slow.
so now she's up to speed and in od all locked up before 35 mph and sounds like a school bus taking off with her 5.13's.

after putting the batteries back in (i stored inside all winter) she fired right up instantly and just started to run a little bit rough.with the dura lift fuel pump however,she came no where near stalling.that bled her right out and she smoothed right up inside a min and idled like it was just driven yesterday.

chip truck;
just had to replace one of my under body toolbox braces.i replaced with a piece of angle iron like i did to the other side this time so it wont break again.now i can load her up without worry again.

Old 04-30-2015, 08:21 PM
4x4falcon
Senior User
Fitted a snorkel

Effii got a snorkel.

Full details here:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...a-snorkel.html

Old 04-30-2015, 09:15 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
breaking her back!

chip truck;
so i was inspecting chip truck the other day and greasing things up.i noticed her frame was cracking from the underside on each side right up over the wheels.directly center of the leaf springs.
so i had to take her in and have both sides welded,bolted and plated.she's as good as new again.probably better than new actually.
so where i have 4 aux springs,the shop thought due to so many which has the overloads already hitting the stops taking a load instantly with the mains,that the bumps over time stressed the frame here due to aux packs not allowing for the suspension to work as it should.
this is why she rides really firm too.i like it cus i can load her (cus she's a daily heavy hauler) and she doesn't squat any.but i guess i better remove a couple aux springs,or have the pack re-arched downwards so the mains can handle the normal running empty load and let her suspension work a bit. just as well.will be nice to have a better ride anyhow.
today; i recently replaced the t-case and it was great used t-case but i forgot it had a slow leak! she run dry on me over the winter and by the time i got home to put some atf in,it was too late.4lo only.so i had to run back to the yard and get another one.got that in this morning and took her to work.

log truck;
just worked her again yesterday.filled her up with wood and saved 3 more hours as a result compared to using chip truck.
the more i use this truck,the more i enjoy the 5.13's.full of hardwood and towing the chipper back it's nice to have the grunt that keeps her around 2k rpm right in the powerband.since she gets around 10 mpg just like this,her 5.13's are staying.what an awesome work truck.

Old 05-01-2015, 08:55 PM
FordTruckfan89
Fleet Mechanic
Figured out why neither my manual glow plug setup, nor the factory setup has ever worked 100% since I've had the IDI. Was replacing the GP relay with a BWD GPR7 relay, then I found this. I got 12.33 volts from both ends of this crinkled up piece of metal, and the fact that it got so hot it melted the plastic around the stud holding it to the controller told me it wasn't necessary and needed to go. So I connected the Glow plug harness and other wire(not sure what for) straight to the relay like the 83-86 setup. The engine fires off so much quicker, its not even funny. 8 fairly new ZD-9 glow plugs also help though too.

Old 05-10-2015, 11:56 AM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
chip truck;

replaced the starter (auto zone lifetime warranty) they gave me a starter without a nose cone on it this time.interesting.got this replaced before it stranded me.old one wasn't fully ******* in sometimes.

washed,vac (yesterday) and waxed her up today.

Old 05-10-2015, 04:41 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
stainless/chrome polish.save for sims and tool boxes.i just ordered one of these for those:
Amazon.com: Mothers 05140 PowerBall Metal Polishing Tool: Automotive Amazon.com: Mothers 05140 PowerBall Metal Polishing Tool: Automotive

cus i feel like cheating lol! the boxes are long overdue cus they take forever.now with that,i'll keep them clean and polished.
anywho,after all that iv got to show her off.

there's log truck over there full of green,American beech!
(heavy,heavy wood)

Old 05-14-2015, 06:04 AM
mebe2k
Laughing Gas
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
ordered a new(reman) injection pump, new set of injectors and a new return line kit for my 86...hopefully i'll get the power back and it will quit smoking so bad..I also got 2 new rear wheel cylinders(driver's side leaks badly) and a new rearmost U-joint(has a little bit of slop in it)

Quick Reply: What did you do to your IDI today?