N. California Chapter Join Chapter , Leader: Nighteyez

Spooky October all topic thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2013, 07:28 AM
hanklin
Hotshot
Received 684 Likes on 397 Posts
Scott, I head out your way from time to time I`ll have to look you up.

Jim shoot me a call when about an hour out and ill try to get there. For some reason I was thinking later in the month.

Old 10-12-2013, 08:56 AM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 123 Likes on 119 Posts
Happy Saturday Nor Cal FTE! Hope everyone has a great day!

Jim

Old 10-12-2013, 01:57 PM
04badford
Lead Driver
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Anytime hank I will PM you my cell #,Drive save Jim your in Cardinal country

Old 10-13-2013, 12:36 AM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

Well, it happened again... I got within 18 miles of Hearst Castle, and the Jaguar lost all of its oil pressure. Got a ride from one of the other cars that went on the trip to the visitor center of the castle, and used my AAA card to get it towed to the Vagabond Inn we are staying at. Now I need to figure out how to get it back up to Fresno. The whole underside of the car is covered in oil, and the back of the car is also covered in oil. It seems to be leaking from the center of the car. Not sure where but maybe an oil cooler line, or oil filter area. I pray that is all it is. Still, it is currently stuck in San Luis Obispo. I am going to see if I can get a rental car here in SLO, and drive up to Fresno, and get my truck and trailer, and come down and get it, however, the trailer already has the Jetta on it, and I can't get it off the trailer by myself. And, should I be able to get it off, I will need the same help getting the Jaguar on the trailer once I get down here. Most the people I know who can help will either be at work or in school on Monday.

So, I may be stuck having to get it towed to a shop here in SLO, and paying their fee to locate and repair the leak. And that means staying an extra day since nobody will be open on Sunday. Reminds me of the last 4x4 trip I took with the Bronco, and ended up having to pay over $800 in tow fees, and repairs.

Needless to say Hank, I will not be at the first street ale house tomorrow night. The Jag is currently sitting in a IHOP parking lot, (because the overhead clearance at the Inn was only 7 feet) and I talked with the head waitress (no manager on duty at this hour) and she wrote a note for the manager so he will not tow it. I will talk to him tomorrow and see if it can stay until Monday when the shops open up and I can tow it there. Might be cheaper to do that then pay $200 for the gas to drive my truck down plus whatever the car rental will cost.

Of course, if it turns out to be something major, I will have to get the truck and tow it back up anyway, plus pay the shop for troubleshooting the problem. So right now, I don't know what I am going to do.

Jim

Old 10-13-2013, 10:20 AM
Maltman
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
damn, sorry to heard about that Jim. looks like we have the same kind of luck...hope it is an easy fix for you!

Old 10-13-2013, 11:11 AM
hanklin
Hotshot
No worries Jim. You have bigger problems than a beer and burger. Good luck on repairs

Old 10-13-2013, 01:05 PM
04badford
Lead Driver
Sorry to hear this Jim, is it for sure oil or Trans fluid I know kinda hard to go under and take a good look besides the car is low , your down coast side not much in way of good mechanics, let me know if I need to make a road trip, would it help if I went to the ale house and had your beer and Burger sorry trying to lighten the situation. we have a Car trailer but I would need diesel to get you home.

Old 10-13-2013, 03:30 PM
hanklin
Hotshot
Beer was good from brewery, just got back. Alehouse will have to wait until next weekend,,
Working Man Brewery off of Vasco btw.

Old 10-13-2013, 05:10 PM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

Well, I got back to Fresno with the car about 2 hours ago. I contacted AAA again, and they said I have one 200 mile tow available each year, and I have not used mine yet. So, I had them tow the Jaguar and me back up to Fresno, which is only 149 miles. It is sitting in my driveway. Yes it is oil not trans fluid. The Jaguar has an oil pressure gauge, and it went to zero. Since it only measures oil, it has to be oil. LOL. Sure Scott, you can have a beer and burger at the First Street Ale house for me. As a matter of fact, have two, since I don't drink. Ted, the mechanic who lives across the street from me will take a look at the Jaguar and see what it needs. Since the engine was not knocking or clattering before it shut off, I am going to say it did not run totally dry. I think it was shut off by the computer as a precaution. If so, then once the leak is fixed and more oil put in, it should be fine. I hope so, because I really do not want to have to make major repairs on two Jags.

Jim

Old 10-13-2013, 08:46 PM
joe f350
Post Fiend
I was Gona say Jim if I wasn't working I could have gotten ur trailer cam down and picked up I don't need that big of a resion to get the wife to agree to a trip to Pismo even if its only for a day

Old 10-13-2013, 11:48 PM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

I thought of you, but you are working 7 days a week, no time to take trips to Pismo. LOL

Jim

Old 10-14-2013, 12:34 AM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

Well, I finally got a chance to drive my black Jaguar XJ-S and even though I did not drive it very long, or very far (since it is on a non-op) I was able to take it around the block, and even down the street to the nearest gas station to fill up the tank. It ran pretty good, 100% better than when I drove it for the test drive.

Can't even see the heads they are buried under all those hoses, and wires.

Going to have to replace the wood in the center console, it drives me nuts every time I see it. I can live with the cracked seat for now, but not that console. LOL. On the way back to my mechanic's house from the gas station I decided to see just how fast this thing was. It was a little disappointing at first, as it seemed to just barely pick up speed, but then all of a sudden it "got on the cam" or cams in this case, and rocketed forward pretty well. Still, I think the XJ6 would kick its booty in a race in its current condition. There is still the suspicion of a head gasket problem, and when I got back to the house I let it idle for a few minutes, and sure enough it started to smoke. It did not smoke the entire trip, only when I let it sit and idle for awhile and it warmed up. I would think a head gasket problem would make it smoke all the time. I would also think it would lose coolant, however it does not lose coolant. Strange.

Jim

Old 10-14-2013, 10:07 AM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

Happy Monday Nor Cal FTE and friends!!! Rise and shine!

Jim

Old 10-14-2013, 11:03 AM
04badford
Lead Driver
Good Morning

Old 10-14-2013, 02:44 PM
CLINT-THE-GREAT
Posting Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Afternoon Hank and Jim

-The Great