1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

My 1951 Panel "refresher" build thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2013, 11:33 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 52 4x4
I had a 239 once with Mercury heads. Don't put 'em on - you'll be down about 1/2 a point on your compression ratio and lose power and gas mileage.
Good to know. I thought the Merc heads would add a bit of compression ratio.

Got a few things done today.

Took the fuel tank this morning to get cleaned out and coated. Should have it back on Monday.

Then in the afternoon, I started on the front bumper replacement.

BEFORE

I had two bumpers saved that were in pretty good shape and primarily straight (curved). Neither were perfect, but they were better than what I've come across throughout the years when I parted out trucks.

The bumper that I chose still had the correct curvature, but a few bends in the upper and lower rails.

After a few minutes of heating each area with a torch and then using sledge hammers, I was able to straighten the bends.

After the straightening was done, I attempted to mount it to the frame. Since the previous bumper was damaged while attached to the frame, I had a hard time aligning this bumper to the rails. I was able to line up and insert all four bolts on the right frame rail and only one on the left frame rail. After using a ratcheting strap to bring in the frame rails closer, I was able to insert the second upper bolt. I had to use two smaller thickness bolts on the bottom of the left rail since I couldn't get the bumper bracket to line up with the holes in the frame. It's good enough for me.

Here's the AFTER shot.

After taking a break for a few hours, my friend came over after work and we tackled the battery cables and battery tray. I used 1/0 welding cable.

Old cable on top, new on bottom (engine to frame ground cable not pictured).

After the cables, we decided to replace the battery tray since there was an extra pair of hands.

Old tray on right, replacement tray on left (powder coated - those are not holes in the replacement tray, just a reflection of the flash in the pitted metal areas).

After he left, I finished installing the cables.

While we were changing out the battery tray and cables, I found the cause of the exhaust leak. The right manifold is cracked in two places. One crack is in a valley on top and one crack is on the bottom. I shouldn't have sold the only spare pair of exhaust manifolds that I had. I'll probably replace them with some headers, but don't want anything too expensive. I found these, but Speedway says they're for a car. Has anyone used these in a truck or is there another "cheaper" set available? http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Econom...ders,1727.html. What about these? http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Flathe...lain,1725.html

Since I'm on the subject of exhaust, I'm also thinking about adding these if I can successfully route the pipe around the front of the fuel tank. http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Chrome...Inch,1724.html

Not sure what we're going to work on tomorrow, but I'm sure we'll find something.

Old 10-11-2013, 12:00 AM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
The Panel pictured below is partially the inspiration for building current 51.

My father-in-law had this 51 in the early 80s. It was an ex-Navy vehicle. That's him and his youngest son (circa 1983). He sold the Panel a few years later to pay bills when he was unemployed.

I actually found his old Panel truck twice in the last several years. Both times it was for sale and both time different sellers. He "visited" his old Panel the first time I found it, but he wasn't drawn to it because it wasn't how he remembered it. It was also modified more and was involved in a collision on the right side (fender and door). Plus, we already had the red 51 Panel.

First time found.

Second time found.

Still had remnants of the green interior color.

Navy tag on the glove box. I tried to buy it from the second seller, but he wouldn't budge.

My wife still remembers this fan. It would get hot in the Panel and her and her brothers would crowd around the fan on a hot day while riding inside.

Wish I knew who bought it after I found it the second time around. I'd like to get the glove box with the Navy tag and the fan. The picture quality of the Navy tag isn't good enough for me to get the complete serial data number.

Old 10-14-2013, 12:04 AM
52 4x4
Tuned
Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts
Nice job on the bumper! I got a sale notice from Bob Drake recently that had the headers for under $100 - might have been like $80. The ad suggested they had them to fit the '48-'52 F1. It didn't say whether they're imported or not, but probably would be at that price. The Merc engines have more cubes, so have larger chambers in the heads to keep the CR the same as on the Fords. Ford heads on a Merc would give higher than stock CR, and Merc heads on a Ford gives lower than stock CR.

Heres a link for the Drake headers: Drake's Flatheaders Web Sale

Last edited by 52 4x4; 10-14-2013 at 12:35 AM. Reason: add a link
Old 10-14-2013, 11:44 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Car headers are not going to fit a truck. Red's has F-1 headers for $189 last time I looked, and I have never heard a single complaint about them -- they fit! Cannot be said of the Speedway or cheap imports. They also offer extensions to get you 1/2 way to the rear (to the mufflers) for about $50. Panel truck may be different? (due to gas tank -- they'll know) (edit -- just saw your link, 4x4, at the price of Drake's, worth a try, you could almost throw them away. They look like a copy of Red's)

52 4x4 -- It amazes me how pervasive the thought is that anything with Merc on it is an upgrade. In most cases, Merc parts are an upgrade, but the heads are good only for boat anchors.

Ilya, I'd pull the intake manifold and see what you can do about the sticky valves. You can do more good in a couple hours, applying SeaFoam to the lifters and valve stems, than running it on 6 cylinders for a month. After watching the video, you're likely to need a clutch if you drive it as-is!

Old 10-14-2013, 12:01 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Thanks for the info on the headers, Ross. I'll order the headers from Drake. Price isn't that bad and worth a try. I'd like to put some lake pipes, but again, the fuel tank may be in the way to route the exhaust pipe.

Next week we'll tackle the valve issues. The reason why I was accelerating in the video is because the truck dies when I goose the pedal. Still need to adjust the carb and timing.

As for the Merc heads, I guess I'll find a good use for them.

Old 10-14-2013, 05:44 PM
old_dan
Fleet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Hey Ilya,

Good to see you finally taking on the second panel truck!! I recall seeing that one in the storage area behind Hilar's Body shop on Coleman Ave. It is a nice looking truck!

Let's see if we can keep count on you saying "I shouldn't have sold the _____", because I could use that now!!

You should stop by King Muffler in Morgan Hill on your travels and check out his custom work. With the gas tank interference you may be better off with him doing some of his magic without creating a hazard from proximity to the gas tank. He really is pretty reasonable on pricing.....and you can haul it down there on your car hauler.

On my F1 project I tried to do as much as I could....one of the areas that I decided that I'd rather farm out is the exhaust work. His bends and welds are always perfect!

Dan

Old 10-14-2013, 06:21 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Yes, Dan, with the 52 being roadworthy enough, I decided to get off my butt and get the 51 going. It's been a long time coming.

I don't plan on doing the exhaust work myself other than mounting the headers. On second thought, I may just have the muffler shop do all of the work. Thanks for the recommendation. I'll look into them. There's also a place here in Campbell that does good work and he's familiar with F1s (I've sold/bought parts to/from him before). There's also Babe's Lighting Muffler off The Alameda in SJ that also does a lot custom/hot rod muffler/exhaust work.

Old 10-14-2013, 07:24 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Shops tend to charge by the hour, and putting on the headers can take at least an hour. Add in the odd bolts used, trying to hold the gaskets in place while you stick the bolts in, yadda yadda... do it yourself and save a $100.

Have them add flanges right at the ends of the headers for quick disconnect when you pull the engine.

Old 10-19-2013, 01:18 AM
frankcowan
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When I started reading the thread I thought your schedule was a bit agressive. But you are moving right along. Ive got a 51 panel that needs to be brought back... I be watching.

Old 10-19-2013, 02:03 AM
Moe Craig
Cargo Master

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts
Love to see and hear that your working on your stuff some more.... Thanks again for the ashtray

Old 10-19-2013, 10:29 AM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 47 Posts
Nice panel. I'd like to have one some day. A manure spreader. Too bad they usually cost double what a pickup goes for. Were they available in a long wheelbase one ton, like the chevys and older fords? And best merc upgrade? That 4" crank.....

Old 05-05-2014, 11:51 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Has it been 6 months since the last update??? I've been so busy that I haven't had time to get to the Panel. I've been going through my parts stash pulling out replacement parts for the Panel in the meantime. I've also been stockpiling some new "repro" parts.

Ever wonder how many wires it takes to re-wire a truck from headlights to tail lights? I even got the heater wires. I don't remember if I purchased the dual trumpet horns wires and the courtesy switch/dome lamp wires. That may be the only wiring missing from the picture below. Thanks to Chuck (Chuck's Trucks) for taking the time to put this together.

Purchased an NOS fuel tank sender for the Panel only fuel tank. Only one in existance that I could find. Old one on the left after cleaning. NOS on the right.

Picked up the fuel tank a week after it was dropped off. Didn't realize it until last week that the original fuel line outlet fitting was missing. Shop couldn't find it since it was more than five months ago. Had to buy new "non-original" fittings.

Original fitting and new fittings.

Getting ready to install (yesterday).

A new master cylinder was also installed and brakes bled.

Next on the list is figuring out why there's no compression on one of the cylinders and changing out the stock rear end to a 9".

Lastly, had four 16" x 4.5" wide wheels sandblasted and painted black. Thinking of putting radial WWW tires that I have (195/75/16). Also bought new 16" trim rings.

The 16" 195/75 WWW tires are about as tall as the 15" 215/75 tires.

Old 05-06-2014, 01:01 AM
jimcar-9
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Damn thats nice!

Old 05-06-2014, 07:43 AM
fbb1951
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking good! Maybe by fall I'll get a start on my '51 panel.

Old 05-06-2014, 11:53 AM
old_dan
Fleet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
It's good to make some progress!! The fuel system looks great! You should consider adding a filter to protect the electric fuel pump.

Dan

Quick Reply: My 1951 Panel "refresher" build thread