1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

New born with broke down truck 911 White smoke - No power- Ping noise in valy - oil in exhaust.

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2013, 12:43 PM
f350hammer
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by quesey
are you sure theres no water in fuel
That was my first thought -
I disconnected the primary fuel line bypassing the tanks and ran a hose stright to a gallon of fresh diesel - I also drain the fuel blow and filled it with fresh diesel - There was no change?
Thanks.

Old 09-25-2013, 12:48 PM
f350hammer
Senior User
Originally Posted by oldbird1965
Congrats and is it a boy or girl?
We had a boy. and Thank all of yall for the congratulations.

I am on my way out the door in a few to look at the truck! Thanks guys!

Old 09-25-2013, 12:55 PM
f350hammer
Senior User
Originally Posted by lindstromjd
Congrats on the baby.

I'm about 3.5 hours away from you in Little Rock AR. If your turbo took a crap, I have a spare. I also have AE on my computer.
How much would u want for the turbo? what is a AE? Thanks.

Old 09-25-2013, 01:02 PM
pjwoolw
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Congratulations on the newborn! Cool!

Jim summed it up nicely. I expect a busted injector nozzle.

Old 09-25-2013, 01:23 PM
f350hammer
Senior User
Something is weird about this whole thing.

When I got the truck - I was told there was not much fuel in the front tank and there was almost a full in the other. (Im pretty sure the rear was full and the front was almost dry) How ever -
When I left the house I was using the rear tank - I pulled into pilots to get fuel - I used the yellow handle - that said diesel. (I even went back and made sure it said ***DIESEL***Today)
As soon as I went to put fuel in the front tank -it clicked like the tank was full.
I pushed the switch in the cab to the front tank and the gauge said it was full.
I switched back to the rear and it said (1/4) So I filled the rear tank. The front tank did not even take 20c.

I thought nothing of it. I thought maybe I misunderstood or got it backwards.
I continued to drive on the front tank.... I got about 80 miles out of it before the issues started - The gauge showed I was down to a half a tank... The truck seem to drive fine with plenty of power until the issue started...
When the issues started the - I started thinking maybe there was something up with the tanks or maybe there was something in the front.
so i flipped the switch to the rear - drained the fuel blow - started the truck then killed it - drained the blow again - did this about 5 times trying to cycle out bad fuel - no change.......... I noticed right away that when I flipped the switch for the tanks - the gauge on the dash did not respond- So I started thinking maybe the switch or the tank selector was bad....
I got a gallon of fresh diesel from the truck stop I disconnected the primary fuel line bypassing the tanks and ran a hose straight to a gallon of fresh diesel - I also drained the fuel blow and filled it with fresh diesel - There was no change?

Later on I had so one flip the switch for the tanks - with me under the truck and I could hear the tank selector click every time the switch and flipped to a different tanks.

I have no clue why it appears that my fuel gauge has stopped working.
The P/O said the ejectors had been rebuilt not long ago.
Iam working with very little money- so i need to try and figure out what is wrong - to the T!

Thanks guys... Would anyone be interested in rebuilding my turbo? I paid parts - shipping and a little labor to them?

Thanks guys!

Old 09-25-2013, 01:33 PM
f350hammer
Senior User
Originally Posted by DZL JIM
Fuel coming out the exhaust will absorb the soot in the pipe along the way and appear to be oil once it starts to drip.
Are you sure it's oil and not fuel?

I'd start with injectors or fuel stuff.
When an injector blows a nozzle, or comes loose in the bore, it has a lot of the same symptoms you described. It would explain the white smoke and fluid out the exhaust. I've also heard a truck knock with a blown nozzle, too.

You can't unplug the injector thinking it will kill the issue, either. With the truck running and pumping fuel, there would be fuel dumping in the cylinder all the time, you can't shut that off without turning off the engine.

If it were me I'd start there.
I can't seen an IDM or electronics causing a smoke situation, that would be more of a dead miss, etc. Smoke is mechanical, IMO.

Keep us posted.

Edit: Having said all of that, we had a truck come in a few months back with 2 broken push rods. LOTS of smoke, poor mpg, loss of power, and some weird sounds coming from the engine. 1 rod was snapped in 2, another was 's' shaped.

LOL In reply to ur edit - Dont say that. Broken rods bent rods. I cant afford that.

Old 09-25-2013, 01:36 PM
lindstromjd
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by f350hammer
How much would u want for the turbo? what is a AE? Thanks.
I bought the turbofor $200. I'd like to get something close to that for it. AE is AutoEnginuity... It's a live monitoring system for your engine. It can read and reset codes, and give live feeds for all sorts of inputs from the various engine sensors.

Old 09-25-2013, 01:40 PM
lindstromjd
Elder User
When I bought my truck, I was told that the front tank was empty and didn't work. When I was trying to figure out that problem, the truck would run off the front tank but it would throw the fuel filter light after about 30 seconds. And the sending unit didn't work either. I decided to replace my front tank, and it turned out that my front tank was totally full, but with really nasty red diesel and water. And the sending unit had a hole in the float, and didn't work even when I moved it by hand. I replaced the sending unit and verified that my switching valve works, but for some reason the truck still doesn't like the front tank. I just don't use it anymore.

Old 09-25-2013, 01:49 PM
f350hammer
Senior User
Originally Posted by DZL JIM
Fuel coming out the exhaust will absorb the soot in the pipe along the way and appear to be oil once it starts to drip.
Are you sure it's oil and not fuel?

I'd start with injectors or fuel stuff.
When an injector blows a nozzle, or comes loose in the bore, it has a lot of the same symptoms you described. It would explain the white smoke and fluid out the exhaust. I've also heard a truck knock with a blown nozzle, too.

You can't unplug the injector thinking it will kill the issue, either. With the truck running and pumping fuel, there would be fuel dumping in the cylinder all the time, you can't shut that off without turning off the engine.

If it were me I'd start there.
I can't seen an IDM or electronics causing a smoke situation, that would be more of a dead miss, etc. Smoke is mechanical, IMO.

Keep us posted.

Edit: Having said all of that, we had a truck come in a few months back with 2 broken push rods. LOTS of smoke, poor mpg, loss of power, and some weird sounds coming from the engine. 1 rod was snapped in 2, another was 's' shaped.
Its fuel. I just started the truck for about 30 secs. Got under it and check it looks like oil but If you touch it you can tell it is not - its real fine. It cleaned the gunk off my hands lol! You can tell by the feel it is diesel.
The spot wear it had dripped and ran off (Some sport wear already starting to dry) You could see wear the suut was but the fuel had dyed!!!

Ok So is there a ejector rebuild kit I can get to fix the issue or what? What is next?

Old 09-25-2013, 01:58 PM
f350hammer
Senior User
I cant afford to buy new injectors for this truck -there 200$ a peace.
IDK what im gonna do... Anyone got a few ejectors they wanna sale cheep? Anyone wanna do some trading - Iv got tools - computer parts - cbs.

Old 09-25-2013, 02:02 PM
f350hammer
Senior User
I just called a friend that runs a salvage yard - he said 10 a peace. for just the ejectors. If I pulled 10 that would be a 100$ do yall think it would be worth the risk?

Old 09-25-2013, 02:04 PM
lindstromjd
Elder User
I have two spare AA injectors. They're supposed to be good. Email me? lindstromjd@yahoo.com

And shoot... For $100 you can't go wrong for a set of cores. You could sell them off for more to someone who needs cores, or maybe to an injector builder.

Old 09-25-2013, 02:19 PM
f350hammer
Senior User
Originally Posted by pjwoolw
Congratulations on the newborn! Cool!

Jim summed it up nicely. I expect a busted injector nozzle.
Thank you sir!

Old 09-25-2013, 02:20 PM
f350hammer
Senior User
Originally Posted by lindstromjd
I have two spare AA injectors. They're supposed to be good. Email me? lindstromjd@yahoo.com

And shoot... For $100 you can't go wrong for a set of cores. You could sell them off for more to someone who needs cores, or maybe to an injector builder.
Thank you sir. Ill email you later on - fixing to head to tulsa to see my neewbi.
Thanks again.

Old 09-25-2013, 09:33 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
x2 on the injectors, get them. They are worth more then that for cores.

Quick Reply: New born with broke down truck 911 White smoke - No power- Ping noise in valy - oil in exhaust.