1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Newbie 85 f250 frame off resto (Image Heavy)

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2015, 10:50 AM
Piston Honda
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Either my phone or the site is giving me trouble. I keep having to login and retype my post.

The other weeps in the channel I was talking about would be something like this. It would be an elongated hole about an inch long and 1/4" wide. One in this location and another the same distance from the front door post.

let me know if I'm over thinking it.

Old 04-03-2015, 08:48 PM
Piston Honda
Senior User
Got just about all of the paint and loose rust off today.

Old 04-03-2015, 10:10 PM
FordFETruck
Logistics Pro
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Looking good! what are your plans for paint material for the interior? I did herculiner on mine, mostly because that's what I had laying around.

Old 04-04-2015, 05:52 AM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
I guess you could but again, so small it will get clogged with dirt

Old 04-04-2015, 09:46 AM
Piston Honda
Senior User
Originally Posted by Diesel_Brad
I guess you could but again, so small it will get clogged with dirt
I agree with you, I think the elongeated weeps probably won't do any good. With the door seal on that edge, the weep would be covered almost completely, any space that was left would get clogged up with dirt and debris.

Did you see my little drawing of the other one? What about that? I don't think something like that would get clogged to easily.

Old 04-04-2015, 10:46 AM
FordFETruck
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by Piston Honda
I agree with you, I think the elongeated weeps probably won't do any good. With the door seal on that edge, the weep would be covered almost completely, any space that was left would get clogged up with dirt and debris.

Did you see my little drawing of the other one? What about that? I don't think something like that would get clogged to easily.
I'm kind of confused on where you want to put weep holes. But on mine, the channels under the sil plate always get full with water. Need to fix the cowl leak. I poked a hole in the rubber body hole plugs at the back of the cab. Works great.

Old 04-04-2015, 12:04 PM
Piston Honda
Senior User
Originally Posted by FordFETruck
I'm kind of confused on where you want to put weep holes. But on mine, the channels under the sil plate always get full with water. Need to fix the cowl leak. I poked a hole in the rubber body hole plugs at the back of the cab. Works great.
Here's a mock up

I've decided against the weeps in the channel, but would still like something at the back of the rocker. This could take the plugs place, it's angled so water couldn't get in while traveling forward but would let water that's trapped inside the door channel escape. I don't plan on going through any rivers or anything..... at least for the first few years, but would like to improve on the drainage now.

Old 04-04-2015, 03:20 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Yeah a guard like that over the hole would prevent splashing water from getting in

Old 04-04-2015, 03:27 PM
Piston Honda
Senior User
I think it might be an improvement from just the rubber plug.

Old 04-04-2015, 04:54 PM
Piston Honda
Senior User
Originally Posted by FordFETruck
Looking good! what are your plans for paint material for the interior? I did herculiner on mine, mostly because that's what I had laying around.
You know, I've been thinking about that ever since you mentioned it before.

I was thinking at first that I might just POR the places where I repaired and any other place I stripped the paint off, then Dynamat.

You mentioned a while ago to use bed liner and the Dynamat, which seems like a good idea. I've read a lot of stuff on other sites about using the combination of both. Sometimes people put the bed liner on first and the Dynamat on top of that. Other people have talked about putting the Dynamat down first and then Bed liner over that. I'm worried about how well the Dynamat will stick to a texture and not clean metal though. Just about every thread I read didn't post their results.

The article I saw on fourwheeler.com is where they used Herculiner, Dynamat, Herculiner. They said you could use POR first and not the Herculiner, but they already had the Herculiner installed previously. You never hear how well it held up. The main reason they were doing it was for temperature. They were getting a lot of heat inside from the headers, etc. They showed the results for the temp change but I have no idea if it lasted.

None of these articles and threads tell you what's the results one, two, five years down the road.

Old 04-04-2015, 06:04 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
I would stay AWAY from Herculiner. All it really is, is paint with grit in it.

If you want REAL bed liner they YOU can apply, look in to AL's Liner.

They also have a Sprayable sound deadner if that is what you are looking for.

here is my bronco tub that I Sandblasted bare, then POR15, then 2 gallon of AL's Liner

Old 04-04-2015, 06:23 PM
FordFETruck
Logistics Pro
The only reason why I had used herculiner is because I was going to use it in the bed, then decided against it. I did mine for rust proofing/sealing reasons. It's worked very well for that. I also used it in the rear wheel wells and it's been bulletproof there so far. I put it where the sun doesn't shine. FWIW, if I were to buy a gallon of the stuff again. I'd get the iron armor stuff from HF. Half the price. I've used quite a bit of the spray can version and it's been durable for what I've used it for (tailgate jambs and stuff like that). But, I'd never use it in a bed. I did get the underside of my lawnmower very clean and sprayed the bottom of my mower deck with it. Painted my beater mower entirely in it. It's held up well, except the beater mower has a very thin deck, and I hit a couple of BIG rocks. Knocked a chunk off here and there from it. A big dent now resides where the liner chipped off

Old 04-04-2015, 07:12 PM
Piston Honda
Senior User
I just checked out Al's liner site, looks pretty cool.

Did you put an additive to your liner? Looks like it has flakes in it.

They say you can add any color to it. That would be sweet! Spray their sound deadener in, tint the liner the same as the exterior color will be and spray that down. Hmmm, I love dynamat, but this seems like a better idea. Less $ for sure!

EDIT: I'd definitely have to grind down the welds inside, so it looks smooth.

Old 04-04-2015, 08:02 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by Piston Honda
I just checked out Al's liner site, looks pretty cool.

Did you put an additive to your liner? Looks like it has flakes in it.

They say you can add any color to it. That would be sweet! Spray their sound deadener in, tint the liner the same as the exterior color will be and spray that down. Hmmm, I love dynamat, but this seems like a better idea. Less $ for sure!

EDIT: I'd definitely have to grind down the welds inside, so it looks smooth.
The bronco is straight black with nothing added. That is the shine you see.
yes, you can tint. you just leave out the black pigment they give you and ad 1 qt of STRAIGHT PIGMENT to 1 gallon of liner(NOT CHEAP)

here is the wheel well in my truck I did color matched silver(a little coarser texture)

Old 04-04-2015, 08:09 PM
Piston Honda
Senior User
So you give them the color and they make the pigment? How does that work?

And how much is NOT CHEAP? Do I even want to know?

Quick Reply: Newbie 85 f250 frame off resto (Image Heavy)