6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Tuners, intakes, exhaust, emissions delete?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 11:46 PM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Yes, you should be download the latest tunes from the H&S website and install it on your tuner.

Some people (such as yourself) who had the earlier tunes with the higher boost pressure have reported a small drop in power with the newer tunes, but from what I understand it isn't significant - and the piece of mind of not blowing a turbo is worth it in my opinion (although companies are now making 2015 turbo drop in replacement kits should that happen...).

You shouldn't need to return your vehicle to stock if you change injectors - I'm assuming you don't have the 250k warranty and are hoping to claim it however.

Old 10-19-2014, 08:00 PM
SultanGris
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well I took my exhaust off, but they gave me the wrong unlock code, it is one digit too long so my truck didn't run right. The pyro 2 sensor reads 1100 something when it's cold now, hoping when I get the right code and install the custom tune that it will work right? Not sure. Do I gotta get an aftermarket pyro sensor now or what? No where to put it on this new pipe I got.

Old 10-19-2014, 10:24 PM
2ndStroke
Lead Driver
Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts
Once the dpf is off and the egr is bypassed, the truck will have no way to read egts and the reading you get will not be accurate. Easiest way is to buy block off plates and install a egt sensor from your dpf.

Old 10-20-2014, 12:43 AM
SultanGris
Elder User
Ok, thanks. I haven't done the egr delete yet but old pipe is off and the new one is on, hope to get correct unlock code tomorrow and regain drivability

Old 10-20-2014, 12:49 AM
Tofan
Fleet Mechanic
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by BigF350
Yes, you should be download the latest tunes from the H&S website and install it on your tuner.

Some people (such as yourself) who had the earlier tunes with the higher boost pressure have reported a small drop in power with the newer tunes, but from what I understand it isn't significant - and the piece of mind of not blowing a turbo is worth it in my opinion (although companies are now making 2015 turbo drop in replacement kits should that happen...).

You shouldn't need to return your vehicle to stock if you change injectors - I'm assuming you don't have the 250k warranty and are hoping to claim it however.

The reason you have to put your truck back to stock is because the Ford computer inputs the new IQA code for the injector you are "flashing" the truck which will render your tuner worthless. Me and the local SMT almost had that scare. He called me about 2:00 in the afternoon asking me where the tuner was. I had to leave work and run it to him so he could deprogram the truck, input the new IQA code and then re-tune the truck. It will basically brick your tuner because it thinks that the "tune you can only use on one truck" is already used up, so it won't let you tune another truck.

Old 10-20-2014, 01:48 PM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
I had never heard of it doing that Tofan, good to know!

I would have thought that they go off the VIN# in the PCM, but obviously not.

Old 10-22-2014, 08:32 PM
wtrlogd
Senior User
I did the updates and the truck seems to be idling smoother and running better.
Had a bit of a scare when I got the "stop safely now" and engine shut off after 3 seconds. Had to make a call to learn I'd loaded the wrong files (6.7ENG), once I loaded the SPEENG and TRAN it ran great and has been for another 5000 miles.

My boost numbers have not changed. Still climbs to around 30psi if I don't back off on the throttle.

While on the phone with H&S I asked about injector replacement. He basically said what Tofan is saying. Return programming to stock before starting work, then after the work and flash is complete, return to tuner program before starting and driving home.

Old 10-23-2014, 02:36 AM
SultanGris
Elder User
just completed my emissions/exhaust/egr delete and was out testing it and all of a sudden my truck died and i got a low fuel pressure warning. Never seen that before and ive had the tuner on with the stock emissions for about a year, took the exhaust off a week ago and just tonight removed the egr system. After it died I coasted for a mile or so, put it in neutral and tried to restart once while still going around 30mph and it cranked an cranked an cranked, no go. Coasted to a stop and waited another minute or so and tried again and it fired right up and i continued on as normal. anyone ever experienced that? wtf caused it? why did it never happen before the egr delete? did I mess something up?

Old 10-23-2014, 07:24 AM
lobe50
Cross-Country
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Subscribing...also curious

Old 10-23-2014, 08:38 AM
SavageNFS
Hotshot
Received 7,101 Likes on 2,226 Posts
Originally Posted by wtrlogd
I did the updates...My boost numbers have not changed. Still climbs to around 30psi if I don't back off on the throttle.
I'd call H&S on this immediately. This is NOT the norm at all. Boost shouldn't go beyond the mid 20's with the current tunes.

Originally Posted by wtrlogd
While on the phone with H&S I asked about injector replacement. He basically said what Tofan is saying. Return programming to stock before starting work, then after the work and flash is complete, return to tuner program before starting and driving home.
This is my understanding as well.

Originally Posted by SultanGris
just completed my emissions/exhaust/egr delete and was out testing it and all of a sudden my truck died and i got a low fuel pressure warning. Never seen that before and ive had the tuner on with the stock emissions for about a year, took the exhaust off a week ago and just tonight removed the egr system. After it died I coasted for a mile or so, put it in neutral and tried to restart once while still going around 30mph and it cranked an cranked an cranked, no go. Coasted to a stop and waited another minute or so and tried again and it fired right up and i continued on as normal. anyone ever experienced that? wtf caused it? why did it never happen before the egr delete? did I mess something up?
I have never heard of this either (from an after a delete perspective). I'm thinking the truck had a brain fart processing the tune rewrite? I don't know...if it's running correctly now and isn't throwing codes, I don't think you will be able to track it down unless it happens again. You are likely fine.

Old 10-23-2014, 09:10 AM
SultanGris
Elder User
I have spe hot tune and my boost goes to 30 psi on performance, but it's lower on the lesser street and towing setting. The trans also shifts much harder after installing it, sometimes bangs into gear pretty hard. Was using h&s tune before and boost was 24, trans shifted way smoother. Gonna call spe later and see what they say, will update. Was just curious if anyone else experienced that. Thought I blew it up at first cause I was on performance and getting after it

Old 10-23-2014, 09:14 AM
SavageNFS
Hotshot
My comment to wtrlogd was made as if he was using H&S tunes. If he is using SPE, then disregard. I should have thought about that and thank you for the clarification.

Old 10-23-2014, 09:33 AM
SultanGris
Elder User
Originally Posted by SavageNFS
My comment to wtrlogd was made as if he was using H&S tunes. If he is using SPE, then disregard. I should have thought about that and thank you for the clarification.
I think he was using h&s but I just mentioned it to see what you'd say, what does it matter if spe or h&s? If 30 is bad isn't thirty bad no matter what tune? I don't understand. I appreciate your knowledge, thanks for sharing.

Old 10-23-2014, 11:32 AM
SavageNFS
Hotshot
I think he was using h&s but I just mentioned it to see what you'd say, what does it matter if spe or h&s? If 30 is bad isn't thirty bad no matter what tune? I don't understand. I appreciate your knowledge, thanks for sharing.
Well, this is my opinion and it is not meant to offend anyone. I don't think the stock first gen turbo can take sustained boost pressures in excess of 25psi or so very well. I state this because I followed what H&S did with their tuning based on feedback from guys popping turbos with their original tunes.

That being said, SPE tunes will use more boost and no doubt create more power. However, I still think the excess boost above 25psi is a problem for the stock turbo. That's just my opinion and I think the staff at SPE knows what they are doing. I'm just a chicken and don't want that much boost is what it boils down to.

Darren straightened me out a while ago. I was running an older set of tunes and defueling to control boost. Why? He suggested that I just run what you know is conservative and safe and be happy with it rather than constantly defuel. He was dead on and I can't be happier with the truck now.

This is not to say the guys running SPE tunes are going to blow turbos or anything close to that. I'm just saying I prefer tuning of H&S which is making good power at lower boosts. The SPE tuned trucks will blow mine away for the record

Old 10-23-2014, 11:44 AM
darren32
Lead Driver

Received 736 Likes on 141 Posts
Whatever tune you are running is using more fuel than the pump can provide and you are running the fuel rail dry. You get low fuel pressure warning and the truck shuts down. Early H&S tunes used to do that on my truck. You should get a code. I used to be able to clear the code and re start the truck before I coasted to a stop.

I don't know if this is bad for the pump or not. It just can't keep up and the pressure in the rail drops and at some point the ECM shuts it down.

You either need to modify the tune to use less fuel or better yet ... get a bigger pump or 2

Quick Reply: Tuners, intakes, exhaust, emissions delete?