6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Tuners, intakes, exhaust, emissions delete?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2013, 01:33 PM
SultanGris
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok Thanks, what's the difference between Street and race tuners?

Old 09-17-2013, 04:09 PM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Street = emissions systems are still there (i.e. it still works with the DPF)
Race = no emissions systems.

Old 09-17-2013, 04:16 PM
SultanGris
Elder User
Ok, that's kinda what i was thinking. So an unlocked street does both. Cool.

Old 09-17-2013, 08:41 PM
SavageNFS
Hotshot
Received 7,068 Likes on 2,217 Posts
Street tuners are capable of running deleted. Street tuners require an unlock code to run deleted, but they will work on the 13's and up. This may be obtained via a form and EPA approval to unregistered off road vehicles or they (Street) can be hacked. I stand by my previous statement s and encourage people that don't know for certain if something is correct to not present it.

Old 09-18-2013, 03:21 AM
SultanGris
Elder User
Originally Posted by SavageNFS
Street tuners are capable of running deleted. Street tuners require an unlock code to run deleted, but they will work on the 13's and up. This may be obtained via a form and EPA approval to unregistered off road vehicles or they (Street) can be hacked. I stand by my previous statement s and encourage people that don't know for certain if something is correct to not present it.
Heh, indeed. There is so much accurate information on the interwebs isn't there?Haha! I'm surei could learn a lot from dealer website or probably better a tuner based forum but this forum is large so i figured lots of people would be running them. I know there area few brands so I like to ask as many people as possible and see everyone's opinions and reasons. I find that many people like things because that is what they have and it works but there might be a better product they don't know about so the more feedback I get the happier I am. Perhaps it doesn't apply in this case as much as all tuners do the same maybe, I don't know much about them, but certainly some would be more user friendly or have a downside or something. There are always differences and I hate spending a lot of cash only to find out two days later there is a better Choice, lol!

I guess based on my limited knowledge what I want is one that will work with emissions now and also without later on if/when I decide to delete them. The hacked Street tuner sound like the ticket. Is the h&s the best? Or only one like this? Is it easy to change between stock, economy, performance, towing or whatever? Does it hold 3 at a time like the ones for gassers I've heard about? Bully dogs used to be all you ever heard about.

Old 09-18-2013, 07:29 AM
SavageNFS
Hotshot
Originally Posted by SultanGris
Heh, indeed. There is so much accurate information on the interwebs isn't there?Haha! I'm surei could learn a lot from dealer website or probably better a tuner based forum but this forum is large so i figured lots of people would be running them. I know there area few brands so I like to ask as many people as possible and see everyone's opinions and reasons. I find that many people like things because that is what they have and it works but there might be a better product they don't know about so the more feedback I get the happier I am. Perhaps it doesn't apply in this case as much as all tuners do the same maybe, I don't know much about them, but certainly some would be more user friendly or have a downside or something. There are always differences and I hate spending a lot of cash only to find out two days later there is a better Choice, lol!

I guess based on my limited knowledge what I want is one that will work with emissions now and also without later on if/when I decide to delete them. The hacked Street tuner sound like the ticket. Is the h&s the best? Or only one like this? Is it easy to change between stock, economy, performance, towing or whatever? Does it hold 3 at a time like the ones for gassers I've heard about? Bully dogs used to be all you ever heard about.
I'm just going to say it so there is no confusion over my words. There are a very limited few of us that run tuners on the 6.7 and we are asked the same questions over and over. I realize that you are new to the 6.7 and I realize that you are viewing over a mobile device and searching might be challenging. Realize we have thoughtfully answered these post and questions several times over.

Read the H&S website for information on the tuner and it's operation. If you are going to spend the money, research it. It's a major decision. There are other tuners out there. I chose H&S and feel it's the best and only decision. An International Street tuner holds 3 tunes plus stock. Towing, Street and Performance. You can shift on the fly between the tunes. I use Towing and Performance 99% of the time. You can run the MiniMaxx as a gauge and not tune anything. H&S also offers new tranny software that I personally run and think outperforms the stock firmware. There is a section that can be unlocked called MCC (Max Calibration Control) software for an additional fee that allows custom tuning. Most if not all of us are running the stock tunes from H&S. I don't know of many that are running the MCC software, but I know of one truck here locally that is running a Hot X tune from SPE (via the MCC tune capability) and his truck is pretty fast. He is running stock tires and wheels likely can leave me in the dust. Research the defueling capabilities of the Minimaxx. Too much boost, stock tune is enabled, oil hotter than you want it to go, stock tunes is enabled until he oil cools down, too much boost? Engine need to warm up? etc.

I believe that Bully Dog and Banks are fantastic marketing companies. I believe H&S is the best diesel tuning company out there.

Old 09-18-2013, 08:29 AM
darren32
Lead Driver

Received 736 Likes on 141 Posts
I agree with savage's posts, great information Andre.
H&S all the way!

Old 09-18-2013, 01:36 PM
SultanGris
Elder User
Ok thanks for the info, I appreciate it. Im sure youve been asked a million times and it gets old, Ive been there before as a long time member of other forums seeing the same questions over and over and I know were you are coming from but I find the search features of these forums to be sorely lacking in producing pertinent results unless you really know what you are looking for so if i know the answer I point them in the right direction and if I dont feel like it someone else usually does, sorry. A search for tuners reveals tons of results and its far easier to just ask again than read 500 different threads, most of which contain no useful information. I just figured tuners were more common and was expecting more people to chime in with different opinions. Im sure I could find a more performance oriented tuner forum where there is tons of knowledge but I didnt feel like looking for a new forum and starting a new account at the time.

Old 09-18-2013, 01:57 PM
SavageNFS
Hotshot
Originally Posted by SultanGris
Ok thanks for the info, I appreciate it. Im sure youve been asked a million times and it gets old, Ive been there before as a long time member of other forums seeing the same questions over and over and I know were you are coming from but I find the search features of these forums to be sorely lacking in producing pertinent results unless you really know what you are looking for so if i know the answer I point them in the right direction and if I dont feel like it someone else usually does, sorry. A search for tuners reveals tons of results and its far easier to just ask again than read 500 different threads, most of which contain no useful information. I just figured tuners were more common and was expecting more people to chime in with different opinions. Im sure I could find a more performance oriented tuner forum where there is tons of knowledge but I didnt feel like looking for a new forum and starting a new account at the time.
All I got from your post is your time is more valuable than mine. Good luck on your search and we'll see how well your attitude takes you on any forum. I'm done

Old 09-18-2013, 02:32 PM
displacement4me
More Turbo

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
For me, I was trying to decide between Spartan and H&S for my 2013. I took delivery April 1st, and shortly after H&S announced they figured out the programming for the '13 6.7L changes so I jumped on that and was deleted and tuned by the end of April at 700kms.

In my opinion, between Ford/GM/Ram the R&D behind the scenes at H&S is outstanding. They seem to have a grasp on the new models from all three and are working diligently on providing reliable DPF present/deleted tuning. They also finally broke MCC tuning on GM's LML - which essentially brought EFI Live tuning to this engine series, something no one else has done. And you would be a fool to think they aren't working hard to figure out '13+ Rams either. Their customer service supports all this, give them a call and you'll get your answer. It might not be the first ring, but they are a busy operation.

It's easier for me to say this since I'm in Canada and I bought my Street MiniMaxx unlocked and ready to go, just had to pay for it. I have a Sinister EGR delete with the H&S block off plates for Pyro, no intake (yet or never, not sure), and pulled my DEF tank too. In 10K km's, it's thrown one code, but that was right away and H&S had an update for that since it was related to the EGR temp. I've had to rotate the tires a few times, I'll might be able to get 20K out of the Michelins but that's on me. I've made the same 800km drive three times and the truck has shown an improvement in mileage as it continues to break in (last run creeped over 21mpg cruising at 70mph essentially empty with ~250lbs in the bed). I've ran it on Hot for the past few months with cold coolant defuelling active (as well as others) - like was mentioned understand defuel parameters and how it can protect you and improve reliability/longevity. I have not tried transmission tuning yet, but would love to improve my knowledge and am hoping to get into MCC tuning over the winter to try next spring.
I have the mirror mount bracket, next to my radar detector. Everything is hardwired and goes up into the roof with the mirror harness. I find it extremely clean, and I don't see the mirror mount that common so it's nice.

Yes there are too many threads covering this and they end up off topic and it is hard to find your answer, but it exists. It's a purchase that's going to void certain areas of your warranty on a 50-60K+ truck - you need to take the time to research and get topic coverage.

Old 09-18-2013, 03:57 PM
SultanGris
Elder User
Originally Posted by SavageNFS
All I got from your post is your time is more valuable than mine. Good luck on your search and we'll see how well your attitude takes you on any forum. I'm done
hey I didnt mean it to come off like that, I apologize. My time is very valuable as im sure is yours. I was just explaining to you that I know how you feel about seeing the same questions over and over because Im very active on other forums and Ive seen it before a million times. If you dont wanna help a guy out then dont post a reply, you are in no way obligated to do so! Im not gonna spend a month reading 500 threads, most of which are garbage and only show up in search because some guy just happened to type the keyword without providing any useful information on the subject when I can simply ask the experts and get an answer quickly. Its just common sense. I do greatly appreciate your response and you have helped point me in the right direction for sure. A sticky containing useful information is usually created on most forums if the same question keeps popping up over and over.

Old 09-19-2013, 11:19 AM
98woody
Tuned
Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts
This is a very informative thread, it explains the tuner process in greater detail than anything ive searched. I had no idea you cant run a race tuner on a 2014. So the $100 h&s unlock code is the emmisions delete option im assuming?? Whats the deal with egr block off plates?? My sct just overode the egr.

Old 09-19-2013, 11:58 AM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by 98woody
So the $100 h&s unlock code is the emmisions delete option im assuming??
Yes. I believe you also have to have evidence you are no longer using it for road use/or other proof that you aren't using the truck on roads in the US.
Whats the deal with egr block off plates?? My sct just overode the egr.
The EGR can be disabled electronically (e.g. through your SCT/other tuner), but you still have it all sitting under your hood. Putting physical blocking plates enables you to remove the whole EGR assembly from under your hood.

Removing it also allows you to monitor EGT's at the EGR plate, by using one of the stock EGT probes that are used to monitor the DPF.

Old 09-19-2013, 12:32 PM
SavageNFS
Hotshot
Originally Posted by 98woody
This is a very informative thread, it explains the tuner process in greater detail than anything ive searched. I had no idea you cant run a race tuner on a 2014. So the $100 h&s unlock code is the emmisions delete option im assuming?? Whats the deal with egr block off plates?? My sct just overode the egr.
The $100 H&S unlock code for RACE tuners is to unlock the unit period to work on an '11 or '12 Ford 6.7. The code is not required to unlock the unit to run on a Dodge or GM truck (but I'm not as familiar with those, so research is required). The Minimaxx is required to be tied to a VIN of a truck. This $100 unlock code will add your Ford 6.7 VIN to the MM and unlock the Ford 6.7 specific tunes.

I'm not aware of any unlock code fees (there is a code, but I don't think there is a cost) associated with the street tuner. There may be with the hacked street tuners from the private (NOT H&S) sellers. I have no idea, but wouldn't be surprised if there was a fee or premium for the unlocking or hacking service.

The other fee that H&S has is the MCC unlock and that is $199, but this is an optional feature that you either want custom tunes and pay to have them or stick with the H&S tunes and save the money.

As far as the block off plates are concerned, BIGF350 is correct, but I would like to add/stress that without the block off plates, there is no way to read EGT's accurately. The block off plates add a bung that a recycled probe is used from the removed DPF that measures the EGT's right after the turbo which is an important aspect. I used to not care as much about this (and still don't), but it does give you an accurate reading rather than an inaccurate one.

Old 09-19-2013, 12:41 PM
displacement4me
More Turbo

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I bought my Street MM at $899, and the High Sulphur tuning unlock code for $395, CAD. So that would apply to '13+ emissions deleted tuning. Otherwise you could run DPF intact tuning at $899.

Quick Reply: Tuners, intakes, exhaust, emissions delete?