1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Super Duty vs. F-150 - what am I missing?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 08:54 PM
backbeat
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Haha...some good responses... never too much power...only 4 inches vs. 10 with the 150...

I couldn't do a Raptor. That's an attention get-ter, and as it is I'm going to have to explain to people why I'm even buying a truck. The Raptor is way out of my comfort zone. I like heavy duty tools, things that don't feel like they'll break very easily, and the 250 has that in spades.

Old 09-03-2013, 10:23 PM
Hi Ball
Freshman User
Sorry, we got rid of the carseats over 30 years ago! However, I'll tell you that there is really no comparison between the Ford F-150 and a Superduty Truck. The only thing that is close, is the fact they both look like trucks a city block away.

Now compare the axles, suspension, powerpackages, load capacity, towing capacity and inside room, there is simply NO comparison. The Superduty is a heavy duty.......that says it all simply put gentlemen. My next truck will be an F-450 Superduty in about 3 or 4 more years the wife willing of course.

Old 09-03-2013, 11:56 PM
CA Grown
Freshman User
Out on the ranches, you'll see a lot of f150's owned/driven by the foremans and hands.

The only time you see the 250/350 is by the ranch managers and owners. Mostly because when big equipment is moved, it's usually a higher pay grade out there runnin the show.

With that said, the f150 is a very capable tool in the sense that it will tow whatever you have, haul what you needs and carry enough butts to warrant not needing the diesel.

I can't imagine you're going to be pulling a 30' big tex 5th wheel with a 800 series challenger on the back.

F150 will serve you well.

Old 09-04-2013, 12:08 AM
hasteranger
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
To be fair, its 10.5 inches with the F250 versus 9.75 (if optioned with tow or payload package) for the F150. Either is more than enough to get most jobs done.

Old 09-04-2013, 06:14 AM
Quad Racer
Cargo Master
Received 137 Likes on 104 Posts
My truck criteria sounds similar to yours. Go get the Super Duty and be done thinking about it. Like you said it looks better to you AND to a lot of others these days. IMO the resale potential is better than the 150. I would have gotten a diesel if I could afford the additional costs. I still feel like a kid driving my truck after 2 years of those darn payments.

Old 09-04-2013, 06:27 AM
LaxinFish29
Junior User
Originally Posted by Tylus
I've got 4 kids. 3 are in Carseats or boosters. In the F150 the car seats physically touched each other. No room for anything else and the outer 2 touched the door panels until I bought my son a different forward facing skinnier model.

Same car seats in the F250 had hand sized gaps between each and a hand gap between for panels.

Strangely those same car seats in my 2008 Expy EL never touched in the 2nd row. Always confused me because the Expy and F150 share same cabin specs. ...ish
Originally Posted by sammy77
Yes the F150 clearly has more room then the SD. My son would always kick the back of my seat when he was back there(in the F350) I noticed in the F150, he could not reach with his feet. I took the truck(f150) up north this past weekend and both rear passengers mentioned there being more leg room back there for them.

To the OP:
Your needs don't require a Super Duty. Who cares. It's your money, buy what makes you happy. Half of the Super Duties I've owned were overkill for my needs, I loved driving them anyways.
Looks like Tylus, myself and the specs straight off Ford disagree with you. Maybe the 150 has adjustable pedals and that has bought you some room?

With my seat in normal position and the booster behind me I can climb in there without a problem. Having JUST traded in a 150 for a 250, there is NO way you could convince me the 150 is more roomy.

Old 09-04-2013, 06:38 AM
backbeat
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by Quad Racer
My truck criteria sounds similar to yours. Go get the Super Duty and be done thinking about it. Like you said it looks better to you AND to a lot of others these days. IMO the resale potential is better than the 150. I would have gotten a diesel if I could afford the additional costs. I still feel like a kid driving my truck after 2 years of those darn payments.
That's good to hear, Jason, and I suspect you're correct about resale value.

Old 09-04-2013, 07:29 AM
LMS Residential
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by backbeat
Thank you, Fastfwd. I'm going to drive another 250 just to see, but I doubt the ride will bother me. Do you have a diesel?

It sounds like overall that you're happy with your purchase. That's good.

One other comment on the 150...it's a bit 'slab-sided' in appearance. The 250 has a nicer look, with better lines.
One thing not mentioned yet probably depends on the state you live in but here in IL, due to a gross vehicle weight rating in excess of 8000 lbs, my F250 requires twice yearly IDOT safety inspections or an IDOT registration which cuts the safeties to once a year. Also requires D plates due to weight. Insurance is also higher on the 250. Chicago city stickers more $$. Overall, here in IL, the additional fees and registrations add a couple of grand a year.
For that reason, my next truck will be an F350...no difference in the fees/costs from the 250 and not much of a premium from Ford either.

Old 09-04-2013, 07:35 AM
backbeat
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by LMS Residential
One thing not mentioned yet probably depends on the state you live in but here in IL, due to a gross vehicle weight rating in excess of 8000 lbs, my F250 requires twice yearly IDOT safety inspections or an IDOT registration which cuts the safeties to once a year. Also requires D plates due to weight. Insurance is also higher on the 250. Chicago city stickers more $$. Overall, here in IL, the additional fees and registrations add a couple of grand a year.
For that reason, my next truck will be an F350...no difference in the fees/costs from the 250 and not much of a premium from Ford either.
Good points, LMS. I was wondering what the laws might be in VA. A couple of grand more is not insignificant. It's like buying an $8 hot dog at the Verizon Center. You may have the money, but it makes you want to avoid the purchase.

As for rear seat legroom, it looks like the 250 has an inch less of room. I will say that having sat in the back of both the 150 and 250, that the 150 does appear to have more legroom. At least that was my impression...

Old 09-04-2013, 07:47 AM
LMS Residential
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by backbeat
Good points, LMS. I was wondering what the laws might be in VA. A couple of grand more is not insignificant. It's like buying an $8 hot dog at the Verizon Center. You may have the money, but it makes you want to avoid the purchase.

As for rear seat legroom, it looks like the 250 has an inch less of room. I will say that having sat in the back of both the 150 and 250, that the 150 does appear to have more legroom. At least that was my impression...
I should have noted that the lions share (about 1300 bucks) is exclusively relative to the insurance premium on the F250. On a business plan here, they treat it hardly different than a heavy duty truck. My guess is that it's physics at work....the SuperDuty trucks tend to destroy what they hit unfortunately.

Old 09-04-2013, 07:50 AM
Fastfwd
Senior User
I should have noted that the lions share (about 1300 bucks) is exclusively relative to the insurance premium on the F250. On a business plan here, they treat it hardly different than a heavy duty truck. My guess is that it's physics at work....the SuperDuty trucks tend to destroy what they hit unfortunately.
This is very surprising to me. I'm in QC, Canada and my insurance premiums on my lariat 2011 are only slightly higher than they were on my 2008 acura TL. A much more expensive(double) truck for 7$ more per month. They did require me to install a GPS tracking anti-theft which was not required in the TL.

Old 09-04-2013, 07:55 AM
backbeat
Mountain Pass
I see. That makes sense. I'll have to look into the rates. Thank you for brining it up!

Old 09-04-2013, 08:58 AM
sammy77
Postmaster
Originally Posted by LaxinFish29
Looks like Tylus, myself and the specs straight off Ford disagree with you. Maybe the 150 has adjustable pedals and that has bought you some room?

With my seat in normal position and the booster behind me I can climb in there without a problem. Having JUST traded in a 150 for a 250, there is NO way you could convince me the 150 is more roomy.

Did you even look at the specs? Maybe you should..

I don't need to convince you of anything, I have nothing to sell here.

Here are the specs that disagree with me:

2013 Ford F-150 | View Interior Specifications | Ford.com

2013 Ford Super Duty | View Interior Specifications | Ford.com

Old 09-04-2013, 09:02 AM
sammy77
Postmaster

Very good points here. Safety stickers and D plates are a joke here in IL. I traded my '05 F350 in for a '13 F150 and was shocked to get a check from Allstate for the difference in my premium.

Old 09-04-2013, 09:33 AM
drewtk
New User
A thread I can *really* relate to. Last week I traded in my 2012 F-150, Ecoboost, crew cab with 6.5 foot bed for a 2013 F-250 6.7, crew cab with 6.5 foot bed. My F-150 also had tow mirrors, so these two trucks are almost the exact same length and width. I stepped up to the 250 because I needed the towing capacity, and the 150 wasn't quite enough. Plus, who can argue with 800 ft lbs?

Others above have already mentioned the differences between these trucks, but few have actually owned the recent models like I have and had to live with them. Here's what I've noticed in my one week of ownership. These are relative comparisons, so don't take any of them to mean either truck is 'bad.'

- Fuel economy. I was getting around 17.x MPG in the F150; I'm seeing around 16.x in the F250 on the same commute.

- Ride quality. The 250 rides quite a bit rougher, although I'm hoping that upgrading the shocks (I have the FX4) and steering stabilizer will help. It isn't bad by any means. It's just that Ford has really tuned the F150 to ride like a car almost whereas the 250 rides like a truck. Road / wind noise is about the same.

- Handling. The F150 definitely handles better. It tracks straighter and takes the turns better. It feels more agile.

- Power. This is the strange part. The 6.7 in the 250 has more power on paper, but the 150 with Ecoboost accelerates quicker, as confirmed by the 0 to 60 times in car reviews. Throw an 8000 lb trailer on the back and I'm sure this equation flips.

- Height. Parking garages can be an issue with the 250, which is around 5 inches taller than my 150. My 250 can't fit in the airport parking garage, whereas the 150 could.

- Weight. According to my local CAT scale, my F150 weighed 6000 lbs, my F250 is 8000 lbs. That makes the fuel economy of the 250 pretty amazing, considering that it's carrying around 33% more weight.

The 150 is a better vehicle for day to day, non-towing driving, but I still like the 250 better so I have no regrets, especially if you need the towing capacity like I did. Let me know if you have any questions about these two fine trucks.

Last edited by drewtk; 09-04-2013 at 09:41 AM. Reason: add info.

Quick Reply: Super Duty vs. F-150 - what am I missing?