1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

Would you tow a car across the USA with a 2003 Expy 5.4L?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2013, 08:40 PM
ScottyDsntKnow
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Would you tow a car across the USA with a 2003 Expy 5.4L?

I may very well be getting orders to the west coast in the next few months. I'm USAF so they'll move everything but my cars. Plan would be for me and my daughter and the dogs to ride in the Expy towing my sports car behind in a drive on U haul style trailer. Car/trailer would be about 4500lbs, truck DOES have the tow package. So would I be ok going over the Rockies towing a car behind me or is this a pipe dream? I've towed cars before behind this truck and it felt fine on a level surface but never went up a very steep grade or anything.

Old 09-01-2013, 10:11 PM
Jay87LX
Senior User
The truck can do it... The question is has it been maintained, how many miles? I like to tow at night so I usually driver overnight, cooler temps, less traffic.

Old 09-02-2013, 07:39 AM
SilverSS
Senior User
You should be fine. Make sure you check everything on the truck before you go. Might want to add a bigger trans cooler.

Old 09-02-2013, 10:45 AM
r2millers
Postmaster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Your truck has an approx 8,000 # towing capability. 4,500 #'s shouldn't be an issue, even on climbs.
When pulling my boat at about 7,000, I couldn't be in a hurry but it still got the job done. To the other's points, keep the maintenance up. Your tranny has a good cooler with the tow pkg so I feel you are good to go.

Old 09-02-2013, 11:42 AM
crazy96863
Cargo Master
Received 92 Likes on 56 Posts
I towed an 88 ranger 4x4 with a 96 Bronco 5.8L... Both were loaded with our stuff. It did fine. Actually got 14mpgs.

The 5.4L is a stronger motor stock than the 5.8L was. With everything across the board having higher ratings, you will be fine.

I went across via the I-80...

Old 09-02-2013, 08:24 PM
ScottyDsntKnow
Elder User
Truck has been very well maintained since I got it at 76k miles. I cannot speak to before that but it runs like a top and shifts great. Has 106k on it now. I'm about to do the plugs and the COP boots/springs as well. Trans/converter/diffs/transfer case fluids all got changed right after I got the truck. Would obviously do the oil right before the trip. Good to know I'll be fine towing cross country with this thing if it comes to it.

Old 09-02-2013, 09:38 PM
Jay87LX
Senior User
I would add a larger trans cooler

Old 09-03-2013, 05:45 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
I'd have the cooling system flushed and inspected, if it hasn't been done yet. If it hasn't been done then it's overdue.

Check you're brakes real good too. Steep climbs mean steep downhill runs.

Old 09-03-2013, 11:45 AM
alloro
Received 4,196 Likes on 2,432 Posts
Just take your time climbing the mountains, no need to push it to 65 MPH while climbing. Many have also said that turning off the OD while going up and down steep grades seems to help.

Old 09-03-2013, 12:03 PM
crazy96863
Cargo Master
Agreed... Minding speed limits is a good plan. Also nursing the accelerator will be good. On long decents, use lower gears to hold you back rather than riding brakes.

Old 09-04-2013, 10:31 AM
ScottyDsntKnow
Elder User
The 8600lb tow rating the truck has is with extra stuff like a weight distributing hitch but the class IV hitch is rated to 5k so I should be good. I really only made this thread because the 2V isn't exactly the strongest motor out there and I've heard of ppl having issues towing with these trucks up grades even well under the weight limits. I always turn off OD when going up a hill with a trailer and control my gears manually going down hills so no issues there. I can keep it in a lower gear and let the driveline absorb some momentum as the brakes on these are not exactly the greatest. And yes doing the brakes too, just finishing up running all new brake lines because its the only way to do it without giving up your firstborn at a shop... Also going to throw a B&M cooler with the dual fans inside the front bumper probably in the front left corner for added cooling. Also thinking of doing the J-mod to the valve body of the trans while I'm at it... I think I'll have to see if I actually get the orders first before I completely tear this truck up haha. It's no longer my daily driver so it mostly sits now and gets driven around town for maintenance miles.

Old 09-04-2013, 10:59 AM
crazy96863
Cargo Master
They make heavy duty brakes for these trucks... Since your towing this might make sense. I would stick with motorcraft whether you opt for HD brakes or not; they arent priced to bad on amazon or rockauto.

That being said, maybe someone else can chime in as to whether the HD sticker is a marketing ploy to bilk more money out of you or if there is an actual difference. I have interest in putting these on my Navi if they are real.

Old 09-04-2013, 03:29 PM
SilverSS
Senior User
Originally Posted by ScottyDsntKnow
The 8600lb tow rating the truck has is with extra stuff like a weight distributing hitch but the class IV hitch is rated to 5k so I should be good. I really only made this thread because the 2V isn't exactly the strongest motor out there and I've heard of ppl having issues towing with these trucks up grades even well under the weight limits. I always turn off OD when going up a hill with a trailer and control my gears manually going down hills so no issues there. I can keep it in a lower gear and let the driveline absorb some momentum as the brakes on these are not exactly the greatest. And yes doing the brakes too, just finishing up running all new brake lines because its the only way to do it without giving up your firstborn at a shop... Also going to throw a B&M cooler with the dual fans inside the front bumper probably in the front left corner for added cooling. Also thinking of doing the J-mod to the valve body of the trans while I'm at it... I think I'll have to see if I actually get the orders first before I completely tear this truck up haha. It's no longer my daily driver so it mostly sits now and gets driven around town for maintenance miles.
I don't think people have real issues pulling grades- they just can't pull grades as fast so they think the truck can't do it. They're definitely not rockets lol. Honestly I was surprised how slow mine is (1997 non pi) but I'm sure it would pull some weight. I had to take it out of o/d going up hills to maintain speed without a trailer. Just take it easy especially up the hills. I would probably leave o/d off the whole time. Trans temp gauge would be a good investment also. The u haul trailer should have surge brakes so they will help you. Electric brakes are nice though if you can get them on the trailer.

Old 09-04-2013, 05:05 PM
Hamfisted
Laughing Gas
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
I do a lot of boat towing with my Expod. When it was new I swapped out the stock tranny pan (R70W no drain plug...) for a high capacity PML aluminum pan (with drain plug...) PML Hi Cap Pan, and installed a temp gauge at the same time. I also put a Magnefine inline filter in the return line. After 140k miles (probably 30k+ towing...) the tranny fluid is still bright red, no tranny issues at all. The Expod won't have any trouble towing cross country. I can't say the same for your butt though.

-Mike

PML tranny pan installed on Expod ...

Tranny temp gauge installed in Expod... believe it or not this is the only spot with space behind it to clear the gauge ....

Old 09-04-2013, 07:26 PM
Jay87LX
Senior User
Originally Posted by Hamfisted
I do a lot of boat towing with my Expod. When it was new I swapped out the stock tranny pan (R70W no drain plug...) for a high capacity PML aluminum pan (with drain plug...) PML Hi Cap Pan, and installed a temp gauge at the same time. I also put a Magnefine inline filter in the return line. After 140k miles (probably 30k+ towing...) the tranny fluid is still bright red, no tranny issues at all. The Expod won't have any trouble towing cross country. I can't say the same for your butt though.

-Mike

PML tranny pan installed on Expod ...

Tranny temp gauge installed in Expod... believe it or not this is the only spot with space behind it to clear the gauge ....
What temp do you typically run when towing? I saw 200* on my Edge programmer towing my 6x12 with a Harley in it.

Quick Reply: Would you tow a car across the USA with a 2003 Expy 5.4L?