1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Eric's 1951 F5 build

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 09:38 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by The Horvaths
Can't forget Abby!
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...read-abby.html
This is a neat build.
I love Abby. I really like the way Stephan did the door corners.
All 56's not done that way look out of place to me now.I woner if he got moved and has Abby there yet?
Anyone heard?

Old 12-30-2013, 09:52 PM
eb4strom
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Progress...

Back to working on the old girl, moving along nicely with the rear brakes. I think that when it is all said and done...this is going to be a 6 month brake job . This is what I started with (two and a half months ago), the right rear: what a nasty mess

This is how the RR looked after a LOT of elbow grease and some paint.

This is after re-lining the brake shoes (now that was a learning experience).

And... This is one quarter of a brake job completed.

I have since installed the axle and tires. Sorry didn't take a picture of that...

Old 12-30-2013, 09:59 PM
eb4strom
Junior User
How Time Flys

Guess I didn't realize this, but I have been working on these brakes for almost 4 months. I looked at the date from my original post, and it was from the first part of September.....maybe this will be a nine month brake job .

Old 12-31-2013, 04:35 AM
The Horvaths
Posting Guru
That just means you need some of us to stop by and help. After all, if a woman can have a baby in nine months, nine women can have a baby in a month, right?
It's looking great! I like that you were able to reline the brake shoes.

Old 04-04-2014, 12:04 PM
eb4strom
Junior User
Update and some Help

OK, I took a week of vacation and got some work done on the "ol" girl. The brake job is mostly done, but I seem to have a few leaks on some of the new brake lines, I think some of my flares might be suspect. Even though I took my time and they all looked good. Unless they are not supposed to be 45 degree double flares??

I rebuilt the master cylinder and each brake cylinder, and they seem to be working fine. However, I have a number of small leaks at the brake line brass fittings (which I cleaned up and reused). I don't think I can tighten the brake lines any tighter, and they are still leaking. Maybe I should have bought the new brass fittings (master cylinder, and rear brake cylinders)? Or is it not the correct flare? Or are my flares the problem?

Anyway, I had to get the truck back together to move it out of the way, because...My better half bought me a lift.

This is my Christmas/Birthday present from my beautiful wife. This means a lot less time on the creeper. I sure do love my wife.

Appreciate any help,

Eric

Old 04-04-2014, 01:57 PM
dmack91
Elder User
I made new lines for my F1. When I put pressure to it, every (and I do mean every) junction leaked. All new fittings and 45 degree double flare. I went around and loosened/tightened all the fittings several times until they seated and stopped leaking. Took more wrench pressure than I liked, but everything sealed up fine in the end.

Old 04-04-2014, 01:58 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 610 Likes on 379 Posts
Are they stainless steel lines?

Old 04-04-2014, 02:22 PM
eb4strom
Junior User
Originally Posted by dmack91
I made new lines for my F1. When I put pressure to it, every (and I do mean every) junction leaked. All new fittings and 45 degree double flare. I went around and loosened/tightened all the fittings several times until they seated and stopped leaking. Took more wrench pressure than I liked, but everything sealed up fine in the end.
I haven't tried this yet, but I will. Thanks.

Old 04-04-2014, 02:24 PM
eb4strom
Junior User
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
Are they stainless steel lines?
Ross,
They are not stainless. I used the easy-bend alloy.

Old 10-13-2014, 10:12 PM
eb4strom
Junior User
Back at it.

Working on the "old girl" again. Also working on the F1, but we'll save that for another thread. I recently had a golden opportunity to retire, and jumped all over it. Needless to say, that leaves me LOTS of time to work on the trucks (after I get all my chores done). Guess I'm not completely retired, since the better half is still working, she now has a yard boy, housekeeper, and chef.

Making lots of progress on the F5, have it stripped down to the cab and chassis, but not much left in the cab. I will pull the cab off soon and start boxing in the frame so I can mock up the Cummins install. Then it's off to the races...

Removing the front end.

Front end gone, starting on the engine.

Engine gone and the dog looks hungry.

Pile of parts.

Old 10-14-2014, 08:59 AM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,616 Likes on 1,456 Posts
Enjoy your retirement and you are right about having more work to do at home! But keep your wife working as long as you can. When she is home all day there she will find more work for you!

You have a nice garage there. How many bays?

Old 10-14-2014, 05:44 PM
Jafo56
Fleet Mechanic
Received 45 Likes on 21 Posts
Abe your right buddy I retired earlier in 2013 and relocated,moved everything still doing thing to the house but can't wait to start the rebuild on my 49 f-4

Old 10-15-2014, 10:28 AM
eb4strom
Junior User
Originally Posted by abe
Enjoy your retirement and you are right about having more work to do at home! But keep your wife working as long as you can. When she is home all day there she will find more work for you!

You have a nice garage there. How many bays?

Abe,

She plans on working for a few more years, at which time I will either have to strike it rich or go back to work (gotta have insurance).

The garage is my "dream" shop, four big bays and a small woodshop on the other end, it even has a bathroom. Kind of funny; when I had the shop built my wife didn't want me to put a bathroom in it because she thought I would never leave the shop. But....I'm a good dog, and I usually get all my chores done before I head out to the shop.

Old 10-15-2014, 10:54 AM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,616 Likes on 1,456 Posts
Originally Posted by Jafo56
Abe your right buddy I retired earlier in 2013 and relocated,moved everything still doing thing to the house but can't wait to start the rebuild on my 49 f-4
Did I tell you I grew up between Lititz and Ephrata. I now live in Lock Haven. Were you originally from Land. County?

Old 10-15-2014, 11:27 AM
Jafo56
Fleet Mechanic
Received 45 Likes on 21 Posts
Hey Abe nice to chat with ya, are you far from me? Not sure were Lock haven is, and love that 54 ,what motor is in it

Quick Reply: Eric's 1951 F5 build