N. California Chapter Join Chapter , Leader: Nighteyez

Sweet September All Topic thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2013, 08:23 PM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 123 Likes on 119 Posts
Not interested in a Chevy tow truck, especially one advertized with no pictures. I just came back from Madera. Looked at that yellow '85 F350. I should have asked him what engine it had before I went up there, but I assumed it was the diesel. It wasn't. It was a 460 with a 5 speed manual trans. And it has been sitting awhile, and it needs a starter. So I declined, and headed back. I called the guy in Hayward about the burgundy tow truck, and I am going to head up there tomorrow and look at it. He says he opens at 10:30 am so I will try and get there before then. Scott, I can come by and pick you up sometime between 9:30 and 10 am if you want. I'll call when I get to Manteca.

Jim

Old 09-07-2013, 12:53 AM
04badford
Lead Driver
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Nighteyez
Not interested in a Chevy tow truck, especially one advertized with no pictures. I just came back from Madera. Looked at that yellow '85 F350. I should have asked him what engine it had before I went up there, but I assumed it was the diesel. It wasn't. It was a 460 with a 5 speed manual trans. And it has been sitting awhile, and it needs a starter. So I declined, and headed back. I called the guy in Hayward about the burgundy tow truck, and I am going to head up there tomorrow and look at it. He says he opens at 10:30 am so I will try and get there before then. Scott, I can come by and pick you up sometime between 9:30 and 10 am if you want. I'll call when I get to Manteca.

Jim
Yes Jim, give me a call. I just got home from two football games one in ceris with my grandson freshman team and then the varcity game that the Jv and freshmen team had to sit and watch. I'm good for sitting on hard Bleachers for a week.

Old 09-07-2013, 05:59 AM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

Okay, I have your # in my cellphone, I'll call you when I get to Manteca. I'll make sure to bring my safety glasses in case I see Lil Bubbles. LOL

Jim

Old 09-07-2013, 09:22 AM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

Leaving for Manteca in 10 minutes. Have to make a quick stop at Mc Donald's for breakfast, but will eat in the truck. Should make it to Manteca by 9:30 ish.

Jim

Old 09-07-2013, 09:36 PM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

Well, no tow truck today. Took a look at it, drove it for a bit, even went to the bank and withdrew the money to pay for it. However, it just had too many problems. Slipping transmission, front end in serious need of new ball joints, oil everywhere, (rear main seal according to Scott who volunteered to crawl under it.) And it did have AC and a heater, but most of the AC parts are missing, and the heater was bypassed. It was a little bit hard to get into, and none of the gauges worked except the speedometer. Couldn't even tell how much fuel was in the tank. It had two tanks, but the rear tank was disconnected (who does that?) and the front tank had a broken filler tube, so in order to fill the tank, you have to slide the bed back, and tilt it up. (Hope nobody parks behind you at the gas pump) Also, the winch on the bed did not have a working cable release. It did have current registration until 2014, but that was the only good thing. The final straw though was when we came back from the bank, and there was tranny fluid pouring out from the front of the truck. Either a bad hose, or a bad metal line connection, I think a combination of both. That was when I told him I would pass on it, and we headed back to Scott's place. Oh, forgot too mention the two wheels and tires it needed, and the truck pulls to the right when driving down the road. He also mentioned it has some back DMV fees for the weight inspections, so he would adjust the price for that. However, with all the other problems it was just not the smart thing to do.

So, now I am back to thinking about getting that black 89 Chevy dually with the lightning bolt paint job, and a car trailer. The insurance would be 25% of the tow trucks, and I can use it to haul furniture or what not. Put a warn winch and Optima battery on the trailer, and have a workable "cheap" solution to the tow truck. $2k for the Chevy, and either $1,200 or $1,550 for the trailer, only difference is the latter is brand new. I wanted the tow truck so bad, but did not want all the problems that went with it. Anyway it got too late to drive the Bronco back because with the electrical gremlins it has, (2 of the 3 brake lights stay on when the headlights are turned on), and the fact that I have been up since 3:30am I decided to sleep at a Motel 6 here in Manteca tonight, and leave early tomorrow morning for Fresno.

Jim

Old 09-07-2013, 11:55 PM
04badford
Lead Driver
Jim , we gave it the ol collage try. your gut feelings will work into a more realiable move , Have a fortune cookie for lunch tomarrow LOL. OH by the way =
TIRE= 0 Nail =1
Grampa=0 Grand kids =8
Grampa=9 grand kids scattered so really > Grampa still has 0. ( crap)

Old 09-08-2013, 03:36 AM
INFAMOUS_RED460
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by joe f350
well my ford pissing oil agin out the buttom of the turbo this time
WTF happened Joe? What was the prob sounds like what happened to mine (no money to fix lol).

Old 09-08-2013, 03:50 AM
INFAMOUS_RED460
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good Luck Jim.

Old 09-08-2013, 07:39 AM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

Nine grand kids in one house. Not to mention one very noisy bird. Want to go on another road trip today? LOL Don't know where to, but anywhere would get you out of the house. Oh wait you are buying cattle today. at least they will be outside.

I am going to call that guy with the Chevy dually, and see if it is still available. The 85 f350 dually is still being listed in Auberry, but it is a 5 speed. I seriously doubt I would be able to drive it considering how hard it was for me to get in that 85 tow truck and drive it, and that had an automatic in it.

Jim

Old 09-08-2013, 08:29 AM
joe f350
Post Fiend
Old 09-08-2013, 10:36 AM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

Three Chevies, and only one Ford eh? That last one looks great, and has low miles, but is a bit high for me. I would love to own it, but again it is a Chevy, and a 454 to boot. I am thinking more along the lines of this:

FORD F350 96

Problem is, it was posted two months ago, so it may not be avalalble. However, the post was not deleted by the author, so there is a chance. I will call after I get back from church. It is the same color as the Bronco, and the interior looks to be in great shape too.

Jim

Old 09-08-2013, 11:19 AM
joe f350
Post Fiend
Yea it a bit hight But the on bord air cause if the car u want to slap on the trailer is Gona have flat tire or run air tools to change a flat super easy or to take off a tire to get the sezies up brakes and 4x4 make it worth cause u never where that big flips Gona be and it make it easyer for u to tow a camper on to Pismo beach the ford is nice and clean but it dosnt say the miles and has a Has a rebuilt tranny I bet it has a **** ton of miles and may need injectors witch arnt cheap and I noticed Fresno is a Chevy area so there a lot more common and cheaper

Old 09-08-2013, 02:57 PM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

Doesn't matter how many miles are on it. It has a diesel and they run forever. You should know, yours has a diesel and it is still going. Of course, it is a moot point, as the F350 has been sold already. So, back to the drawing board.

Jim

Old 09-08-2013, 03:44 PM
joe f350
Post Fiend
yea but they will need new injectors and injector pumps the ones for my idi are cheap cause the injector are out side the head put a power stroke is a drict injection motor and there injectors are way more expainces 1997 FORD F-350 Fuel Injector

so i be cation of any powr stroke that dosnt list the millage cause psd injectors last about 200k miles

Old 09-08-2013, 04:02 PM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

It is a moot point because the truck has been sold. Looking at this one now.

90 f350 centurian

It does not say if it is the diesel or the 460 though, and I don't like that style of front end, but I do like the price. And Madera is a lot closer than Hayward. LOL. I called that guy with the 89 Chevy dually, and asked him if it ran, and I guess I pissed him off, because he hung up on me. I tried calling back, but it went to voicemail, and of course the voicemail is full. So, I guess he is not too interested in selling the truck to me. Or, he thinks I am a scammer or something. No idea. I emailed him and told him I have cash and would buy it today, so I will just wait and see if he really wants to sell it or not.

If he does not call or email me within the hour, then I will call that guy in Madera and buy his truck.

Jim

Quick Reply: Sweet September All Topic thread