Price of diesel up again for second straight week - 8/26/2013

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 09:59 AM
nlemerise
Logistics Pro
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Price of diesel up again for second straight week - 8/26/2013

By Land Line staff

The average cost of a gallon of diesel fuel is on the rise for the second consecutive week to $3.913, according to figures from the U.S. Energy Information Administration.

Prices at the pump are up 1.3 cents nationally compared with one week ago. The price is still 17.6 cents below the national average a year ago.

The EIA reported price increases in all 10 regions of the country, with the highest average prices in the California region at $4.156. California prices rose an average of 2.2 cents per gallon, the largest increase in the country over the last week.

Following are the weekly average prices for on-highway diesel as reported by the EIA:

U.S. – $3.913, up 1.3 cents
East Coast – $3.925, up 1.3 cents
New England – $4.044, up eight-tenths of a cent
Central Atlantic – $3.98, up 1.3 cents
Lower Atlantic – $3.862 up 1.4 cents
Midwest – $3.884, up 1.6 cents
Gulf Coast – $3.829, up seven-tenths of a cent
Rocky Mountain – $3.927, up seven-tenths of a cent
West Coast – $4.072, up 1.5 cents
California – $4.156, up 2.2 cents
West Coast less California – $3.973, up eight-tenths of a cent

ProMiles, which surveys 9,400 fuel stops, reported the daily national average at $3.913 cents on Monday, Aug. 26.

Truckers in a handful of states are paying an average of more than $4 per gallon for fuel. Truckers fueling up in Connecticut are paying an average price of $4.347 per gallon, according to ProMiles, the highest average price in the lower 48 states. Oregon truck drivers are paying the lowest prices at $3.697 per gallon.

In other energy news, the price of light sweet crude oil remains above $100 per barrel, closing at $106.08 following midday trading Monday according to the New York Mercantile Exchange. Light sweet crude is the type most commonly associated with diesel production.

In Europe, the price of Brent crude was listed at $110.77, according to Bloomberg.

Copyright © OOIDA

Old 08-27-2013, 11:18 AM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Received 1,897 Likes on 1,145 Posts
That sucks!!

Old 08-27-2013, 12:54 PM
Smokiesman
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ditto on Jasons comment!!!

Smokie

Old 08-27-2013, 01:14 PM
just another truck
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
4.07.99 this morning on the way to work today..

Old 08-27-2013, 01:50 PM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Around here it varies from 3.77 to 4.00. Truckstops are, for some reason, the highest. The smaller places are cheaper. A couple are in a price war, so that makes it nice!

Old 08-27-2013, 04:15 PM
sunuvabug
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Heard on the radio this morning up here in the Great White North that crude was going up due to the Syrian conflict and the "potential" for disruption associated with that situation.

Old 08-27-2013, 04:29 PM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Originally Posted by sunuvabug
Heard on the radio this morning up here in the Great White North that crude was going up due to the Syrian conflict and the "potential" for disruption associated with that situation.
Any excuse to rape the wallets of the world population. It is impossible for us to understand how much money it is when the price at the pump goes up a few cents. Each of these oil companies have dozens (maybe hundreds) of people making multi-million dollar salaries with bonuses that exceed their salaries. Fuel goes up a few cents and all of these people buy another vacation house and a couple luxury cars to park there...

Think about how many gallons our military buys every DAY! How about public transit??

I'll just keep veggin!

Old 08-27-2013, 08:23 PM
Whitey Ford
FTE-Spread The Knowledge

Received 144 Likes on 82 Posts
About time for another production plant fire along with the planned Middle East unrest, and consumers will test record highs again. How truly free is the free market system?

Old 08-27-2013, 08:32 PM
Mowing Man
Elder User
I paid 4.12 today and was pretty happy! For some reason, that was down .04 from last week. Doesn't help that here in CT we have a double state fuel tax. Our Governor is all about improving the economy....

Old 08-28-2013, 04:31 PM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
The two places that are in the price war raised their prices to 3.95 this morning. Up from 3.77. So, I filled up for 3.77 at a truckstop in Indiana. DOT#'s get you a discount in Indiana! No state Hwy tax!

Old 08-28-2013, 04:52 PM
bdpotts
More Turbo
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
i got home from a 'deployment' a few days ago, diesel at shell on the corner was 4.25
drove by the same shell today and it went up another ten cents. 4.35 a gallon. and then i see this article...
Yahoo!

so who knows. i read an article recently in wired magazine that proposes fossil fueled vehicles becoming illegal or 'not authorized' on roadways by 2080 or something like that.

Old 08-28-2013, 06:45 PM
tdpower
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SkySkiJason
Any excuse to rape the wallets of the world population. It is impossible for us to understand how much money it is when the price at the pump goes up a few cents. Each of these oil companies have dozens (maybe hundreds) of people making multi-million dollar salaries with bonuses that exceed their salaries. Fuel goes up a few cents and all of these people buy another vacation house and a couple luxury cars to park there...

Think about how many gallons our military buys every DAY! How about public transit??

I'll just keep veggin!
Profit margin on oil companies is low compared to a lot of other industries. When we start dropping bombs on Syria I'm sure the price will go up. Glad you are veggin..

Old 08-28-2013, 08:03 PM
Studawg
Thread Ender

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by SkySkiJason

I'll just keep veggin!
Man dont buy into all the blame on the oil companies. They do all the work and profit about 8 cents per gallon. Then the federal and state governments come in. 25 cents per gallon of diesel goes to the fed, 30 cents per gallon goes to the state government.

Originally Posted by tdpower
Profit margin on oil companies is low compared to a lot of other industries. When we start dropping bombs on Syria I'm sure the price will go up. Glad you are veggin..
Exactly.

Old 08-28-2013, 09:00 PM
jr-idi
Freshman User
HAHAHA dont know why this is a shock it never goes down....be happy what ur payingkuz in NY where im from its hard to find it for under $4.20 a ggallon so ur lucky my friend

Old 08-29-2013, 12:03 AM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
I've done work for the oil companies my entire life. They are extremely profitable and always will be. Environmental and safety costs have gone up and to some extent we are drilling oil that is harder to get to - but just a couple years ago they were doing it at a profit for $1.25/gal at the pump. I can't comprehend numbers that big, but take the daily consumption of fuel in this country and multiply that by 3 and ya get an idea of how much 'extra' money it is when fuel hits $4/gal. Who do you think is getting that?

In GA, taxes are about $0.30/gal. The stations may only get $0.08/gal - but they all make their money (and LOTS of it) on beer, cigs and candy. Gas just gets ya off the street.

The oil co's set up the business so production (oil wells), refining and transportation/storage (pipelines, tank farms, distribution to stations) all operate at minimal 'profit' - the big margins come from marketing - the sale to the gas stations.

Its funny, people always think they'd be mad 'cause I burn WVO - trust me, they don't care at all. If we burned ALL the WVO in this country for motor fuel, they wouldn't even notice. (the pet food and cosmetics industries would though!!!)