E250 Gauges Installed, now no rear AC/Heat fan

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 07:45 AM
jayro88
Fleet Mechanic
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
E250 Gauges Installed, now no rear AC/Heat fan

Hi all,
Got my electric fuel pump and trans/EGT/Water temp gauges installed. Trans is staying in the 150-160* range, EGT 550*-700* and coolant 200-206*. Here is a pic. Temps in the pic aren't correct. Vans wasn't running and was turned off about 5-10 min prior. I think my coolant temp is reading a little high due to my choice of sensor location. I used a coolant port at the back on the drivers side head near the exhaust manifolds.

This is the port I used for the coolant temp except I used the one on the drivers side:

Here is the c6 trans temp sensor location:

So the seem to be working well, but now my rear AC/Heat blower isn't responding at all. Only thing I can think is that maybe the ground under the dash isn't making a good enough connection after I attached the gauge ground to it, or a fuse. Thing is the front blower works perfect and according to my owners manual it is all one fuse. Any ideas?

Old 08-19-2013, 11:27 AM
genscripter
Cargo Master
Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts
Rear and Front blower motors have different resistors. I suspect your rear has burned out. Does it work on high in the back? I'd suspect a ground issue too. if grounds are good, then jump the rear blower motor to make sure your blower motor is good. then check the resistor (they are easy to replace and not too expensive). If that still doesn't work, then you maybe cross wired something while putting your dash back together. The power supply to the rear blower motor might be a good place to start.

Old 08-19-2013, 11:30 AM
jayro88
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by genscripter
Rear and Front blower motors have different resistors. I suspect your rear has burned out. Does it work on high in the back? I'd suspect a ground issue too. if grounds are good, then jump the rear blower motor to make sure your blower motor is good. then check the resistor (they are easy to replace and not too expensive). If that still doesn't work, then you maybe cross wired something while putting your dash back together. The power supply to the rear blower motor might be a good place to start.
Thanks. I got it fixed. Apparently I pinched something (vac hose or something) when I re-installed my drivers side battery. Took it back out and the blower started working again. This time when I put it in I made sure everything was out of the way.

The resistors are easy and cheap. When I got the van the rear only worked on high. Replaced the resistor and all was good. When looking for one all auto parts places said the rear one was discontinues but had 2 different ones listed for the front one. One of the front listed ones looked just like the rear one. Went ahead and bought it.....works like a charm.

Old 08-19-2013, 01:01 PM
IDIDieselJohn
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
What brand sender did you find to fit in that C6 test port for the temp?

The one I have, doesn't go all the way in the hole, it hits something inside the tranny before the tread hits.

And your engine temp reading higher a few minutes after shut down is normal, both my IDI's with real gauges do the same thing, and I used the common temp light switch location at the front of the drivers head. Soon as you start it up, comes back down to normal.

Odd it runs around 200+* though. My camper runs 180 cruising on a normal 80sF day and my van runs 192-195 in the same conditions. What's the history on your cooling system?

And post a pic of your club wagon, don't remember seeing a pic of it, but you did tell me it was identical to mine.

Old 08-19-2013, 01:32 PM
genscripter
Cargo Master
Good it all worked out. And i'm curious too about your C6 temp probe make and serial. I have two more slots for my 6-way temp gauge selector switch, so maybe a tranny temp probe would be a good addition.

Old 08-19-2013, 02:24 PM
whiteboyslo
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, like you said, your coolant temp may be high because of you sensor placement, but those are some pretty high numbers. My truck was running 205°±5°F like your van using the exact same gauge but with the sensor in the over-temp port. I put a new thermostat in, and now i run a good 10° cooler and haven't seen over 205° yet.

Mike

Old 08-19-2013, 02:37 PM
jayro88
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by IDIDieselJohn
What brand sender did you find to fit in that C6 test port for the temp?

The one I have, doesn't go all the way in the hole, it hits something inside the tranny before the tread hits.

And your engine temp reading higher a few minutes after shut down is normal, both my IDI's with real gauges do the same thing, and I used the common temp light switch location at the front of the drivers head. Soon as you start it up, comes back down to normal.

Odd it runs around 200+* though. My camper runs 180 cruising on a normal 80sF day and my van runs 192-195 in the same conditions. What's the history on your cooling system?

And post a pic of your club wagon, don't remember seeing a pic of it, but you did tell me it was identical to mine.
Here is the link to the one I orders. It is an AutoMeter set from the AutoZone website.
Auto Meter/2 1/16 in. 0 to 300 degrees Fahrenheit black face Sport-Comp digital transmission temperature gauge includes sender and adapter fittings (6349) | Temperature Gauge | AutoZone.com

I checked the hole depth and it would fit either test port (drivers or passenger side), but the drivers side one is allot deeper.

Here is a pick of my Club Wagon:

Originally Posted by whiteboyslo
Well, like you said, your coolant temp may be high because of you sensor placement, but those are some pretty high numbers. My truck was running 205°±5°F like your van using the exact same gauge but with the sensor in the over-temp port. I put a new thermostat in, and now i run a good 10° cooler and haven't seen over 205° yet.

Mike
I don't know the history of the coolant system maintenance history. The coolant was clean/new when I got the van, but it didn't have any SCA in it. I drained some and added it. With 120k miles on it I wasn't too worried about cavitation already punching a hole in the cylinder wall. I am thinking I may want to change the thermostat and flush the system some.

Old 08-19-2013, 02:52 PM
whiteboyslo
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jayro88
I don't know the history of the coolant system maintenance history. The coolant was clean/new when I got the van, but it didn't have any SCA in it. I drained some and added it. With 120k miles on it I wasn't too worried about cavitation already punching a hole in the cylinder wall. I am thinking I may want to change the thermostat and flush the system some.
I would just for peace of mind. Unfortunately, changing the thermostat on our engines isn't as simple as, say, a SBC, but it's not too terrible of a job. And if you're going to go through the hassle of draining the system, you might as well. Mine only has ~80K miles, and yet I've already replaced both the thermostat and the radiator from wear, so mileage doesn't really play in.

Mike

Old 08-19-2013, 05:20 PM
IDIDieselJohn
Post Fiend
Ah that explains it, I didn't try the test port on the drivers side.

That's good to know! Because I really wanna add the temp gauge on the C6 in the camper, sometimes I wonder how hot it gets working in long hills.

And wow, clean club wagon! Yours has a light blue roof though, mines all dark blue on top, and I see you have a step bumper in the back, mine has the base chrome one with that black plastic impact strip on it.

Old 08-19-2013, 08:18 PM
jayro88
Fleet Mechanic
Ah that explains it, I didn't try the test port on the drivers side.

That's good to know! Because I really wanna add the temp gauge on the C6 in the camper, sometimes I wonder how hot it gets working in long hills.

And wow, clean club wagon! Yours has a light blue roof though, mines all dark blue on top, and I see you have a step bumper in the back, mine has the base chrome one with that black plastic impact strip on it.
Good call on the roof....I didn't notice it. You have some different rims too. What size tires are on it. Seem a little wider than mine. I've got a couple a dings and a few rust spots starting to bubble up. Hoping to get them taken care of before they amount to anything. With only 130K miles I plan on driving it for atleast another 400K....so I don't want the body rusting away around the engine. Another year and it's technically considered a classic.

Old 08-19-2013, 08:31 PM
IDIDieselJohn
Post Fiend
Yeah mine has some after market rims on it. Not a big fan of rims, i'm a steel wheel/hubcap kind of guy, but I kind of like the ones on mine. Need polished though. Mine has 225k so it's been around already, I'll really start adding to that next year though

Tires are Michelin LTX M/S 235/85R16.

Old 08-19-2013, 10:54 PM
genscripter
Cargo Master
My club wagon has the same rims and exact same size tires. Does yours rub on the running board when turning right on a downhill?

Old 08-20-2013, 01:20 AM
jayro88
Fleet Mechanic
Yours has the 3 bench seats too while mine has 2 captains chairs and the seat/bed in the back. I like having the bed in the back, but I kinda wish I had a bench seat instead of the captains chairs. Overall it works well and I am sure I can change it at some point if I really want to. I did end up following your lead and get a small cooler with cup holders on the top for my center console. I do want to get one that hooks onto the top of the doghouse like we had in our ford e150 growing up.

Old 08-20-2013, 08:07 AM
IDIDieselJohn
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by genscripter
My club wagon has the same rims and exact same size tires. Does yours rub on the running board when turning right on a downhill?
Funny you mention that, I did notice the passenger side one, did meet the tire at some point as it looks bent back abit, drivers one looks fine though.

Old 08-20-2013, 08:07 AM
IDIDieselJohn
Post Fiend
I'd love to have your rear bench/bed that's for sure! Now that's an impossible to find van item! I wouldn't mind to much the back captain chairs tho