1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Stock truck build (pics )

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2015, 08:23 PM
firstrider
Logistics Pro

Received 119 Likes on 57 Posts
Front fenders & extension panels Check ! A bed full of parts done for months & yrs. Front plate attached . Made plans w/ my best buddy of 39 yrs. for next sat. to hang the fenders . So will let them cure till then . Have some little things to do .Paint some bolts & drill holes in front bottom of rear fenders to accept running boards . Hood is at the paint shop & will be done by end of May . It is the last item of the build .May be a maiden voyage Memorial Day weekend . Thanks to all so far for the compliments. It's not easy being me w/ OCD & being a perfectionist . The truck is not perfect but real close .Close enough for the ISCA World Of Wheels Feb . 2016 in Birmingham , Ala. They pay travel mileage over 150 mi. It Is 660 to B-ham from here .Participated in the ISCA early '80's .It is addictive & the ultimate of car shows .Dearst daughter & grand daughter live in B-ham so will get to see them , stay & visit with granddaughter Fallon .She is 17 months . old & a hoot .

Going to be a little sad when this build is done & no more progress pics to post . Maybe post an off topic build on the BB Chrysler T-Roadster build ,after all it is a FORD body .

Attached Images     
Old 05-10-2015, 08:43 PM
firstrider
Logistics Pro

Bolt kit

Getting ready for next weekends fender hanging . 230 fasteners sanded , primed , sanded & painted . Sunday job .

Also secured the L running board on the truck .Will post a pic of that mon. The new gloss black running boards look so good . Maybe a job for the little woman to keep them clean . They show every little spec of dust .That is why I never owned a black colored vehicle besides living in Fla.. Came up with a very good idea of a welting between the running board & the fender . See pics mon. Attaching of the R running board Mon.

Attached Images   
Old 05-11-2015, 09:42 PM
firstrider
Logistics Pro

Running boards attached . Check . Locating & drilling the attaching holes in the rear fenders was a PITA . Not getting any cooler here in S. Fla. either . Any one guessing what was used as a welt /cushion to make a clean seal between the running boards & the fenders receives extra credit points. Hint : repurposed engine bay item .

Attached Images     
Old 05-16-2015, 08:12 PM
firstrider
Logistics Pro

5-16-15 pics as promised . Front fenders hung & upper grill valence attached . Will finish up the rest of the front end sheet metal Sun. Am so happy at this point . Work has been plentiful & the other house sold .Am looking at an enclosed trailer (8 x 20 ) for the land toys . Life is good .

Attached Images        
Old 05-17-2015, 09:18 PM
firstrider
Logistics Pro

9 hrs. of Sun progress . Running board secured in front , factory splash guards attached , lower fender extension panels attached , lower gravel pan attached , gravel pan to radiator air deflector attached , grill teeth attached , upper valence to grill brace installed .

Mon aft. will install parking lights housings , lens & bezels , connect wires . Hood is being painted this week . Completion date end of May .

Maybe go for a short shakedown ride now that the front fenders are on & no chance of debris able to land on the shiny gloss black running boards.

The local vinyl sign shop is making some FORD blue letters to apply on the hub caps. .

Attached Images         
Old 05-17-2015, 09:30 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
That is beautiful work!

Old 05-17-2015, 10:38 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 608 Likes on 378 Posts
Very nice, Denny! I give up, what is the "repurposed engine bay item"?

Old 05-18-2015, 04:31 AM
Marauder2004
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
You have done a great job on you truck!

Old 05-18-2015, 08:53 PM
firstrider
Logistics Pro

Ross ,the material is late model car battery case foam . About 5/ 16 " thick & makes an excellent welt / cushion between fenders & running boards . Bolted up all the front end pcs today . Tues will be a light day as the sales inspector for the new owners will be there at noon to do his job .Finally sold the house after 6 months on the market .Sold to a middle age couple from Mass . as they were tired of the brutal winters . It was my father -in -laws house . He died going on 3 yrs. ago. I took care of the house for him as like it was mine so not much to do to it .It is a turn key operation . ..

So while the inspector is there will finish up attaching the left side fender to running board panel. 3 bolts & it is done .. No word on the hood yet . The paint guy was married last fri. so he was probably busy .

Old 05-18-2015, 10:17 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by firstrider
The paint guy was married last fri. so he was probably busy .

Cracked me up!!!

Old 05-19-2015, 07:46 AM
51fred
More Turbo
Received 97 Likes on 53 Posts
Hey! Where is his priorities?

Old 05-22-2015, 07:55 PM
firstrider
Logistics Pro

Retrieved the vinyl FORD letters for the hub caps today & will lay them in tonight .Pics sat.
Also acquired the correct fillister head type screws to attach the parking light lens bezel to the housing .Had to dig thru a 3 gal pail of misc. nuts , screws & bolt sat my buddies auto elec. shop . He had 5 so media blasted & primed them this eve.

The main reason for the visit to his shop was to get a was to get a 4 prong 6v. vibrator & a buffer capacitor to repair the radio . Will take those parts to the man who is repairing said radio sat. morn .. .

So radio will be done next week & the hub caps will be on sat. noon time .Pics to follow . Maybe a test run sat. also .to the only local gas station that sells R-90 gas.

Painter guy is on honey moon all next week so hood will be done early June . Why rush now . 2 weeks vs. 6 yrs.

Old 05-23-2015, 10:37 AM
38 coupe
Cargo Master
Received 109 Likes on 57 Posts
I had to google R-90 gas to figure out what you are referencing. I wish I had a no ethanol gasoline station option in my area.

Can you post a video or pictures of that first drive?

Old 05-23-2015, 08:17 PM
firstrider
Logistics Pro

Radio vibrator & parts delivered to radio repair man at 9 am . this morning . Did some business work & over to the truck . Attached the lettered hubcaps . Man , what a difference ! Attached the right side parking light & connected wire . Checked for function & it does work .Tomorrow will be watching some racing & attaching the left side parking light .

The house & garage where all the work is being done will be closing on the sale the 28th .So the truck will be back to the storage garage 6 mi. away where no work is permitted to be done . Only have the radio & some minor thing to do connected w/ it & the hood . Good opportunity to drive it a little back here or to my buddies house to do some things.

Looking into a 20' long x 8'wide x 7' high inside enclosed trailer . This house sale will loosen up some funds .

Attached Images    
Old 05-23-2015, 09:04 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,616 Likes on 1,456 Posts
Those vinyl letters look nice. Do they look as good in person as they do in the pictures? Were they easy to stick on?

Quick Reply: Stock truck build (pics )