1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

El Camino Mans 7.3L Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 03:03 PM
ReBilld
Hotshot
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by El Camino Man
Oh crap. I forgot the S366 and stocker are different DPs. I hope I can address this while the engines out lol.

As for trans, my father-in-law rebuilt his 4R100 with all the best parts and he spent around $1500. I think this is the path Ill choose for that. Hes a pretty smart cookie when it comes to transmissions. Im far from it lol.

I plan on getting some good gauges also. Theyre kinda important lol.

I chose stage I injectors mostly because I didn't want to over-fuel my engine. I thought about those Stage III Hybrids buuut I think that's overdoing it
If you've considered swapping your truck to a ZF 5spd, I can get everything but a clutch and pcm, and I will be in Evansville the first weekend in August!

Old 07-26-2013, 03:52 PM
tshrager
Lead Driver
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by ReBilld
If you've considered swapping your truck to a ZF 5spd, I can get everything but a clutch and pcm, and I will be in Evansville the first weekend in August!
You making a detour through here?

Old 07-26-2013, 03:57 PM
tshrager
Lead Driver
Oh crap. I forgot the S366 and stocker are different DPs. I hope I can address this while the engines out lol.

As for trans, my father-in-law rebuilt his 4R100 with all the best parts and he spent around $1500. I think this is the path Ill choose for that. Hes a pretty smart cookie when it comes to transmissions. Im far from it lol.

I plan on getting some good gauges also. Theyre kinda important lol.

I chose stage I injectors mostly because I didn't want to over-fuel my engine. I thought about those Stage III Hybrids buuut I think that's overdoing it
Just to give you a heads up, this budget built trans was brought up on a different thread. I and many others feel that a 1500 rebuild, is not going to be able to handle your new power. It has happened time and again that one area you can't skimp on is the auto trans. It's your money and you can obviously spend it however you choose, but don't expect that 1500 to hold up long to 400hp. This is exactly why I went to a ZF.

Old 07-26-2013, 04:08 PM
ReBilld
Hotshot
Originally Posted by tshrager
You making a detour through here?
Not this trip bud.

Old 07-26-2013, 05:18 PM
tshrager
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by ReBilld
Not this trip bud.
Booooooo. I got a new lamp, so maybe it's for the best. Lol

Old 07-26-2013, 05:23 PM
fordman67
Hotshot
Received 398 Likes on 269 Posts
Todd...u and i need to go pay bill a visit here one of these days!alex might get to tag along if he promisses to b good lol.

Old 07-26-2013, 07:00 PM
Awitte58
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LOL IM ALWAYS GOOD!
Whats ol Bill doing in Evansville besides hanging with clifford n Aaron?

Old 07-26-2013, 07:05 PM
stainlessstroker95
Postmaster
Ya im about an hour from olney, i go through there to visit my grand parents in flora. For e fuel, there is some complet kits out there for like 800 to 1000 bucks.

Old 07-26-2013, 07:14 PM
tshrager
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by fordman67
Todd...u and i need to go pay bill a visit here one of these days!alex might get to tag along if he promisses to b good lol.
Agreed!!!!

Old 07-26-2013, 07:50 PM
ReBilld
Hotshot
Originally Posted by fordman67
Originally Posted by tshrager
Agreed!!!!
You guys come when ever you want! Even Alex! LOL!!

Old 07-27-2013, 11:22 AM
El Camino Man
Logistics Pro
Hey Bill, when you say clutch, do you mean an actual "clutch" or do u mean clutch pedal?

And Floras only 40 minutes from Olney!!! This may be the deal of the century lol. Slapping that bad boy in there would be worth the extra work lol.

As for the automatic, my father-in-laws 4R100 holds up behind a Lightning with a few goodies on it. He is making somewhere in the neighborhood of 450hp and it hasn't even considered slipping yet. This has been several years ago and he cant remember all the details of what his "package" had in it

Old 07-27-2013, 11:28 AM
tshrager
Lead Driver
Hey Bill, when you say clutch, do you mean an actual "clutch" or do u mean clutch pedal?

And Floras only 40 minutes from Olney!!! This may be the deal of the century lol. Slapping that bad boy in there would be worth the extra work lol.

As for the automatic, my father-in-laws 4R100 holds up behind a Lightning with a few goodies on it. He is making somewhere in the neighborhood of 450hp and it hasn't even considered slipping yet. This has been several years ago and he cant remember all the details of what his "package" had in it
That lightning can't touch the amount of torque you will be putting down at 400hp. Somewhere in the ballpark of 800ft/lbs. Just trying to warn you. There is a reason these built auto trans cost 5k. One of the members, Glenn makes good power and tows heavy. He went through I believe 3 autos before finally throughing down the big bucks for a John Woods built auto. I would hate to see you throw good money after bad.

Old 07-30-2013, 09:59 AM
El Camino Man
Logistics Pro
Well guys hit a bit of snag... And I feel extremely stupid for even saying it buuut:

I bought a truck strictly for the motor off eBay. Only an hour and a half away and $5000 for a running driving truck, so win win! I went to pick it up, had him start it, popped the hood and took a look. I stared at the motor for a bit. I couldn't figure it out? This engine looked way different than my powerstroke. So I slammed the hood and walked to the back of the truck. Then it hit me... I asked the guy what year it was... '94. I eyes got huge and I start cussin up a storm (I don't cuss). The deal was already done so I went ahead and shelled out the cash (already made a $500 deposit).

I gotta say, this really isn't a bad truck. I just cant afford to keep 2 identical trucks around. So I gotta sell this one and buy another... Although I did feel better when I looked on the computer and saw where some guy ACTUALLY tried the "trash bag mod" and sucked some of it into his turbo

On a different note: Anyone need a CCLB Dually IDI Turbo? Lol

Old 07-30-2013, 12:44 PM
Awitte58
Postmaster
Well guys hit a bit of snag... And I feel extremely stupid for even saying it buuut:

I bought a truck strictly for the motor off eBay. Only an hour and a half away and $5000 for a running driving truck, so win win! I went to pick it up, had him start it, popped the hood and took a look. I stared at the motor for a bit. I couldn't figure it out? This engine looked way different than my powerstroke. So I slammed the hood and walked to the back of the truck. Then it hit me... I asked the guy what year it was... '94. I eyes got huge and I start cussin up a storm (I don't cuss). The deal was already done so I went ahead and shelled out the cash (already made a $500 deposit).

I gotta say, this really isn't a bad truck. I just cant afford to keep 2 identical trucks around. So I gotta sell this one and buy another... Although I did feel better when I looked on the computer and saw where some guy ACTUALLY tried the "trash bag mod" and sucked some of it into his turbo

On a different note: Anyone need a CCLB Dually IDI Turbo? Lol
Awe man thats a bummer! Sorry to hear it wasnt what you thought.
I am really glad when I was shopping for an OBS 7.3 PSD that I managed to find my 97 first, because before I bought it and got on here to learn about it I knew nothing and could have fallen in the same boat.
I hope you manage to get your money back out of it.

Old 07-30-2013, 12:50 PM
FI460
Cargo Master
That sucks! It happens though. I just got asked to take a look at a 94 CCLB. The ad said powerstroke. Had the guy send me a picture of the motor and it was definitely an IDI with a turbo. Idk if these guys genuinely dont know, or if they are trying to pawn something off on you, but I see a lot of them out there.

Put a price of $5001 on it and make a buck

Quick Reply: El Camino Mans 7.3L Build Thread