1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Rebuild or Replace

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 02:07 PM
El Camino Man
Logistics Pro
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rebuild or Replace

Hey guys. Iv asked around trying to figure out whats wrong with the ol Powerstroke. Iv got several opinions ranging from a bad injector, to a cracked head/blown head gasket, and the newest one: scored piston.

In the worst case scenario, I will need to completely blow apart the whole motor, bore out the cylinders, get new pistons, might as well get new bearings while Im in there, all new gaskets, reassemble it, and it will "essentially" be a brand new motor on the inside.

OR

Go to a junkyard, pick out a Stroker, pull it, and swap it with mine and HOPE its in good shape.

I also know where I can get an engine and trans with only 9700 miles for $6300...

Which would be the "better" option and which would be the "cheaper" option? Thanks guys!

Old 07-16-2013, 02:11 PM
96ford250
Elder User
I'm a fan of rebuild always have been you know what you got engine wise the good and bad.you can also put in all the goodies in there while its apart.

Old 07-16-2013, 02:12 PM
FI460
Cargo Master
I would pinpoint the issue first. If it's just a bad injector that's a simple fix...

Old 07-16-2013, 02:13 PM
El Camino Man
Logistics Pro
Iv debated building it up as I went and turning it into the engine it should have been lol. Is there much of an aftermarket for these old 7.3s?

Old 07-16-2013, 02:17 PM
96ford250
Elder User
There is just have to go to the right vendors to get what you want

Old 07-16-2013, 04:05 PM
OldWoodsDiesel
Posting Guru
i'll be curious what about how you choose to go with this one. I've got a similar dilemma i'll be faced with once I get the "new" truck on the road. the engine in it has ~350k miles on it, but the body and frame are in much better shape and the engine sounds and performs better than the 197k engine in my other/old truck.

with that in mind my plan is to drive the 'new' truck until a major engine problem, swap in the 197k engine, and rebuild the 350k engine. however, I've yet to define what a 'major' engine problem is. plus, if the 350k engine does just fine for a while and I get bored, I suspect I may tear into the 197k engine and rebuild that one from the ground up so that it's brand new and ready to go when the other one does go.

...but of course, as soon as I tear into the one engine, the other one is sure to blow right away, making me rebuild the other one as quickly as possible...

anyway - that was no help at all to you, but just thought i'd lend some sympathy to your internal debate!

Old 07-16-2013, 04:43 PM
blageurt
Fleet Mechanic
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I would get the low mileage engine and trans you mentioned and just put it in .....You are not Racing or Pulling with your truck are you ?

Old 07-16-2013, 09:56 PM
El Camino Man
Logistics Pro
Well I haven't made my decision yet but I do know its something major. It's huffing out the oil fill plug in the valve cover meaning TONS of blow by. Engines coming out either way

Chances are, I will "prolly" rebuild it unless I can find a good used one on the chesp

Old 07-16-2013, 10:15 PM
fordpride
Post Fiend
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
If the block is good then rebuild it. That way you know what you got. Why spen 6300 for a used one when you could put that into yours and have a new one

Old 07-17-2013, 08:30 AM
El Camino Man
Logistics Pro
Because that engine is basically brand new lol. And it comes with a trans

Anyways, what kind of performance parts are made for these 7.3s? I want to build it up SOME to give it a kick in the pants while its apart. The engines getting new pistons in the first place so theres a start. I wouldn't mind throwing in a good hot cam. Do they make bigger injectors for these Huey systems? How about up-pipes? Headers? Will a 4" DP fit (Iv got a 3" on there already). I doubt Ill get a bigger turbo unless I can find a used one on the cheap. Im going to be stretching myself thin enough to rebuild this in stock form lol.

Then if I start getting too carried away, Im pretty worried about that E4OD... I don't like em!!! If I throw 3-4 grand at this motor to have the tranny burn up a couple months later, I will NOT be a happy feller lol

All info is appreciated!!

Old 07-17-2013, 08:35 AM
fordpride
Post Fiend
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
There is a good aftermarket for the 7.3
With the stock turbo I wouldn't go any bigger then stageI injectors 160cc off fuel with stock nozzles. With the right supporting mods you can get 350ish rwhp

Old 07-17-2013, 08:40 AM
El Camino Man
Logistics Pro
I would be flabbergasted with 350 horses lol. My gfs dad (major racing guy) said these hueys can only support 600 horsepower and my eyes got HUGE lol. That's gobs plenty for an old truck like this.

The trucks got over 200,000 on it, so that means the turbo does too. Can you rebuild a stock turbo and build it up some? Id "like" to see over 400 ponies, although 350 is enough lol

And sorry... I spelled Heui wrong lol. I was thinking the helicopter when I typed it lol

Old 07-17-2013, 10:39 AM
96ford250
Elder User
There has been trucks that have gotten beyond that mark but your looking at some pretty extensive mods and big $$$

Old 07-17-2013, 10:58 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you put any kind of money into the engine in the way of performance modifications your stock E4OD WILL be on borrowed time. An upgraded valve body, a triple disk converter, and a bigger (aftermarket) transmission cooler will help it out a bunch, but the auto transmission is the weak link in a stock 7.3 drivetrain, so you can imagine what adding about an extra 125Hp/250TQ at the rear wheels does to it.

That being said, I'm not tyring to discourage you from going for it, I'm just priming the pump so you know that you're cruising towards needing a $4,000-$5,000 transmission if you're getting 400HP out of that truck. The less expensive alternative to a built auto is to swap the auto out for the ZF5 manual. Youc an do that for around $2-3K depending on how inexpensively you can source the transmission and swap parts you will need. Honestly, the cost associated with the transmission in these trucks is a big part of the reason why I have left mine alone (well that and I am just plain BROKE).

As for the turbo, the stock unit can be rebuilt pretty inexpensively, but beyond stage 1's, the turbo is really just too small to do a good job. Many are going with upgraded turbos if you go to stage 2's or above. S366, D66, and a whole slew of others are out there and work well on these engines.

All in all, yes, these engines cab make 600HP and beyond, but you had better have deep pockets.

Old 07-17-2013, 11:18 AM
El Camino Man
Logistics Pro
I don't "need" 600 horse lol. And again... who does lol.

Like I said, Id be ok with 300-400 horse. I looked at Rosewoods injectors. Theyre 1-1.5s seem to be around what Im looking for. Some guys are running a D66 with the 1.5s though... Id rather not have to throw a different turbo at it, although I would RATHER do it with the engine out than in if I HAD to.

I LOVE the sound of a manual too. I just sold my manual parts truck a couple months ago... imagine that lol. But once again... Id rather slap a manual tranny on outside of the truck than in. Been there done that lol

WHEW! Just looked up a D66 on the eBay. Its gonna take awhile for my ol butt hole to un-pucker

Quick Reply: Rebuild or Replace