6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

First Oil Change, Observations.

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 09:41 AM
jfralph
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First Oil Change, Observations.

Did the first oil change on the truck and have some observations.

First, I read and watched the poke a hole in the oil filter to drain video and thought WOW, I can try that. Well, I did a short trailer pull before garaging the truck to warm the engine. Let it sit for about 45 minutes to cool. I then got my big oil pan, crawled under the truck and poked away. Oil drained for about 15 minutes, I went topside and opened filler tube and worked on other stuff while waiting. When I went to pull filter, oil poured around filter and covered filter. So, no clean filter. Not a problem, I am used to it, just was hoping for a cleaner experience this time. Two issues however, I assume the Air Conditioning condensor is right above/slightly behind the filter, because as I layed under the truck, something was dripping on me. I was just hoping it was not oil, in the dark I could not tell. Turns out it was not oil. The second issue was the OIL. Looking at this oil, I assume ford must use some kind of break-n oil in these engines. Looks like the old graphite based oils of the 70ies and 80ies. This stuff was black. I mean it was BLACK. I have seen black paint lighter than this stuff was. I am hoping that is all this was. Any one have any knowledge of this initial oil! To make matters worse, the oil spashed everywhere. Not sure why, but I had a 2'x3' area I was up until midnight scrubing to remove the (BLACK)oil spots.

Unrelated to the oil change, I spent time under the truck looking, while waiting for the oil filter to stop dripping the second time. what I noticed is the fuel tank could be lenghtened about 40% into the void space in front of the tank. Actually have a decent size tank on the truck. I also notice the the rear Diff was very warm. Prior to changing the oil, I hooked up the 5ver and towed it to the dealer about 5 miles and then drove about another 10 miles by the time I returned home. I noticed the temp. about 2 hours after driving it. I realize these have a lot of mass to cool off, just suprised at how warm it was for such a short drive. I wonder how hot it got when I pulled the trailer 700 miles in 90 degree temps and pull major passes? I know the truck and tranny got very hot.

BTW, I ended up with Rotella T6 5w-40 synthetic, since it is the only oil really qualified for this climate per the manual, and available here. Pricey, and it leaves me with about 10 gallons of Rotella T5 15w-30 that the old truck required. I only found the T-6 at AutoZone, (thankfully it was on sale), no other brands were available at any of the other outlets I checked. I guess I will check what ford has and its price.

Old 07-10-2013, 03:09 PM
Grout-Scout
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just changed mine for the first time too and you are correct the filter makes a horrible mess. Fortunately I put a tarp down first. On my Cummins not a single drop would spill out of the filter, it was much cleaner but it was also harder to reach.
I'm not sure about the black oil but mine was black as night but my Cummins was always black as well, so I think it's normal soot control by the oil.
I went with Rotella 15-40 but might eventually go with the 5-40 when I get more miles on it but your right its not cheap.

Old 07-10-2013, 03:50 PM
wagner78
Senior User
What mileage are you changing the oil at (10K?) I'm curious if people stick to the manual or change at different intervals.

Old 07-10-2013, 05:14 PM
jfralph
Elder User
My change came when the truck told me to. Just under 7500 miles.

Old 07-10-2013, 06:19 PM
Grout-Scout
Junior User
I changed mine at 5k (first oil change). When I finally go to syn. Rotella then I'll prob run it 7500 to help offset the cost of the oil. If I keep running regular Rotella then I'll change it every 5k.

Old 07-10-2013, 10:14 PM
TRENT310
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I learned quickly to not even bother with a oil drain pan... now I just go straight for the 5 gallon bucket.

Old 07-11-2013, 05:11 PM
ngng
Elder User
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
What the the computer tell you to change at?

Old 07-23-2013, 04:40 AM
98woody
Tuned
Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts
Where is the filter on the new 6.7? What oil is everyone using? I was going to use regular Valvoline for my first oil change then switch over to synthetic Valvoline premium blue.

Old 07-23-2013, 07:50 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Rotella t6 is actually cheaper than the Motorcraft oil, usually on sale for about $20/gal a few times per year.

Use a 5 gallon bucket, drain main pan first, then place bucket under oil filter and just let it drain for a few minutes before taking the filter completely off. If its not windy, you can drain the main pan and the oil filter at the same time into a 5 gal bucket.

If you have a 2 wheel drive, you'll need to cut the bucket down a bit.

Trust me, if you get the hang of it you won't have 5 drops of oil on the ground, if any.

Wear rubber gloves and you won't even have to wash your hands.

It's easy, takes 20 minutes.

Old 07-23-2013, 08:16 AM
CarlT100
Postmaster
Originally Posted by TRENT310
I learned quickly to not even bother with a oil drain pan... now I just go straight for the 5 gallon bucket.
Ditto on the five gallon bucket. It certainly cuts down on the mess.

Old 07-23-2013, 10:18 AM
jfralph
Elder User
I will try the 5 gal bucket the next time. Usually, oil dosn't splash to much, but for some reason it sure made a mess this time. What made it so bad was the black color.

ngng:

the oil reminder started at about 7200 miles telling me a change was needed soon, and around 7400 miles it went into a change oil now mode. I have about 2000 miles towing with this change and the rest is highway with some short trips thrown in. I expected with the towing the truck would have asked for an oil change sooner than the 7k+ mile mark. I believe the computer tracks trailer towing and stop and go driving and reduces oil life accordingly.

Old 07-23-2013, 11:16 AM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by jfralph
Did the first oil change on the truck and have some observations.

First, I read and watched the poke a hole in the oil filter to drain video and thought WOW, I can try that. Well, I did a short trailer pull before garaging the truck to warm the engine. Let it sit for about 45 minutes to cool. I then got my big oil pan, crawled under the truck and poked away. Oil drained for about 15 minutes, I went topside and opened filler tube and worked on other stuff while waiting. When I went to pull filter, oil poured around filter and covered filter. So, no clean filter. Not a problem, I am used to it, just was hoping for a cleaner experience this time. Two issues however, I assume the Air Conditioning condensor is right above/slightly behind the filter, because as I layed under the truck, something was dripping on me. I was just hoping it was not oil, in the dark I could not tell. Turns out it was not oil. The second issue was the OIL. Looking at this oil, I assume ford must use some kind of break-n oil in these engines. Looks like the old graphite based oils of the 70ies and 80ies. This stuff was black. I mean it was BLACK. I have seen black paint lighter than this stuff was. I am hoping that is all this was. Any one have any knowledge of this initial oil! To make matters worse, the oil spashed everywhere. Not sure why, but I had a 2'x3' area I was up until midnight scrubing to remove the (BLACK)oil spots.

Unrelated to the oil change, I spent time under the truck looking, while waiting for the oil filter to stop dripping the second time. what I noticed is the fuel tank could be lenghtened about 40% into the void space in front of the tank. Actually have a decent size tank on the truck. I also notice the the rear Diff was very warm. Prior to changing the oil, I hooked up the 5ver and towed it to the dealer about 5 miles and then drove about another 10 miles by the time I returned home. I noticed the temp. about 2 hours after driving it. I realize these have a lot of mass to cool off, just suprised at how warm it was for such a short drive. I wonder how hot it got when I pulled the trailer 700 miles in 90 degree temps and pull major passes? I know the truck and tranny got very hot.

BTW, I ended up with Rotella T6 5w-40 synthetic, since it is the only oil really qualified for this climate per the manual, and available here. Pricey, and it leaves me with about 10 gallons of Rotella T5 15w-30 that the old truck required. I only found the T-6 at AutoZone, (thankfully it was on sale), no other brands were available at any of the other outlets I checked. I guess I will check what ford has and its price.
Why not use up your T-5? It won't hurt anything. Also try Walmart if yo have one near you. T-6 is 21 a gal. there.

Old 07-23-2013, 04:13 PM
jfralph
Elder User
Why not use up your T-5? It won't hurt anything. Also try Walmart if yo have one near you. T-6 is 21 a gal. there.

My next oil change would probably fall around the first of the year giving me at least 2 months of cold (-20 to -40) temps. Way to cold for T-5 according to ford. And as we all know, even think about useing something ford does not recommend, spells the end for the warranty.

BTW, I went to Walmart first and they do not carry any T-6. Went to autozone and they had it on sale for 19.87/gal. so I bought 3 oil changes worth. Autozone was the only source I found in 4 stops. Napa was already closed, walmart, k-mart nor 2 local parts houses did not have the correct viscosity oil. Not sure if they were all out or did not carry, I did not waste my time asking.

Old 07-23-2013, 05:17 PM
GuyPavelo
Freshman User
I changed mine when the dealer told me the first change was supposed to happen. 3k miles, and then every 5000 miles afterwords... Also, at a tune of 130$ via the dealer...

I changed mine at 3000 miles. No biggie. Motorcraft oil. I also too, tried the hole in filter approach. Never saw that before, so it intrigued me. And what a waste of time that was. lol.

only thing that got me was the fact that when i took out the fillerplug, the oil shot 5 foot behind the pan. I couldnt believe it. Covered in crap. But, now i know... What a mess. But whatever.

Ill move to Rotella starting the next change.

And know to not let the truck pee on me in the face! lol.

Old 07-23-2013, 06:08 PM
CarlT100
Postmaster
LOL I have had that happen.

Quick Reply: First Oil Change, Observations.