1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

need a little info guys

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 11:08 AM
lilrobo
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
need a little info guys

hey guys i am looking at a 53 ford this even could you guys give some pointers on this truck please , it has a 350 and a 4 speed tranny he says , it has a small oil leak on oil pan ( does the motor have to be pulled ?? ) and a small leak were the kick down leaver goes ( ??? ) newer stuff include, carb, battery, hood emblem, steering wheel emblem, door latches, fuel pump and some other stuff.Manuel breaks and steering. ( ill change later ) he said This truck might need break work and a bigger cooling fan for the radiator.( got me )
here are few pics he is asking 10500 ??

Old 06-19-2013, 11:16 AM
Kurt G.
Laughing Gas
Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts
Nice looking truck.I was wondering, where's the speedo? What front suspension? if stock maybe pan can just drop out. If price is right go for it and just fix it. When dealing with old trucks it's like that kids show, the never ending journey.

Old 06-19-2013, 12:05 PM
old_dan
Fleet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
That is a nice looking truck.

Check a couple of things......try to check under the floor carpets to see if there is any rust on the floorboards. Look closely in the corners of the cab...especially the rear corners. Rock the seat forward and look with a flashlight into the pockets of the corners. Checking the front corners will require pulling the kick panels.

Just a thought, but if those leaks were easy to fix, the owner probably would have taken care of it. If they're really minor, maybe they're just something to live with.

Find out what brakes and suspension are in this truck. Drive it to see how it handles and steers. The original solid axle front end can be good, but they're often worn. This truck appears to have had a lot of work done, so ask the owner what rebuilding/replacement of parts has been done.

Dan

Old 06-19-2013, 01:51 PM
yamagrant
Lead Driver
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
If the Body and interior are as good as they look, that's well over $10,000 worth. I'd offer him $9,000.00

Old 06-19-2013, 03:46 PM
das54
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If it's a 4 speed it must be a 700R4 and that's ok but my first impression was it had a 4 speed manual tranny. The most important thing is make sure it has a clean title and the vin on the paper matches the number stamped on the top of the passenger side frame rail just in front of the firewall. Second most important would be what old dan said - check for rust. It it has solid sheet metal in all 4 corners and the bottom edge of the doors then it's probably a good deal beause an IFS and good brakes are bolt on items.

Old 06-19-2013, 09:32 PM
lilrobo
Senior User
Its a 350 tranny and it seems to shift fine, , ohh i did buy it i got kt for 10k didnt see any rust none behind the door pillers, , the is a little on 1 of the door bottoms i drove it home about 75 miles and used almost 1/2 tank gas, , notbad on a 3 speed auto, ,, i am going to check vin numbers thats ill be in touch

Thanks guys

Old 06-19-2013, 10:23 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,450 Likes on 1,397 Posts
You should have checked and verified the vin against your paperwork before handing over 10 large. (assuming you even got papers with it) You could have just bought a giant can of worms and the biggest headache you'll ever know. Good luck.

Old 06-20-2013, 12:35 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
depends on where the engine is leaking oil and the year. If a Chevy is going to leak, its usually the front or rear crank seal, and yes the pan will need to come out along with the front timing chain cover. If it's a one piece rear seal, the tranny will have to come out, if it's a two piece (I don't know if any 350s used a 2 piece seal) then the crank has to come out. It may just be the front or rear rubber portion of the pan gasket, it's a 4 piece gasket, or someone over tightened the pan and dimpled around the attachment bolts portion of the pan rails a common occurance, but that still will require dropping the pan The engine looks like it has never been taken apart, just washed.
The transmission leak is likely to be an o ring seal, but I don't know how hard they are to replace, automatics aren't my thing, I can ask my brother tho since he runs a T 350 in his race car. Might ask a transmission shop. Forum rules say we aren't supposed to discuss other engine makes mechanical issues at length except installation information/issues, Don't shoot the messenger I didn't make the rules, and they'll usually give you a few freebies.But there are a number of us, myself included who's Ford wears a bow tie willing to help with mechanical issues off line. Make a few more posts and you'll be able to PM or email anyone on the forum. Other than the engine/tranny mechanical questions you are more than welcome to stick around and ask questions and discuss anything else about your truck, we are very friendly here.
Nice looking truck by the way.
Can't be a 4 speed stick, no clutch! Is it the original radiator? Mine has an aftermarket radiator, but unless the radiator is partially plugged, the thermostat has been removed (possible, looks like the housing has been off) or the fan doesn't work (electical, mechanical?) there shouldn't be a cooling problem with your engine.
First thing you want to do (trust me on this!) is get on the phone first thing tomorrow and call Mid Fifty Mid Fifty F-100 Parts - Home and ask them to send you one of their free catalogs. You can download it but it's better to get a paper copy to keep in your truck or in the little "wishing/reading room" There is a tremendous amount of extra very useful info and pictures in it besides a listing of about every part you could need, and belongs on every owners reference shelf. When you do need anything the gals at MF (it's an all female company!) are the most knowledgeable and helpful in the industry and they know how to treat and keep their customers happy with great service before and after the sale. HIGHLY recommended!

Old 06-20-2013, 04:53 AM
lilrobo
Senior User
It is a t350 it did good coming home its about 70 plus miles my son foloowed me and we ran 65 to 70 all the way, i am going to get it on my rack and check the under side out .there is some work i need to do, like brakes maybe flush rad, it had a looks like stock 4 blad fan on it,, i would like to change it, , it does have a stock rad, someone has added a tranny cooler to the front of the rad, , ill know more when i get it up on the rack, i do need a manual lol

Thanks buys for all the info look foward to talking more

Old 06-20-2013, 06:08 AM
topmoo
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
A TH350 is a 3 speed trans, no overdrive. You probably have a very low geared rear end to use half a tank going 75 miles at 65 to 70. What RPM's were you turning at that speed? Post some pictures of the rear end and someone here can ID the make of it, but to find the gear ratio you might still have a tag on it (it would be on one of the cover bolts if still there) and if it does the code will tell what ratio it is. You will want to get a speedometer, at least in Texas you have to have one to pass inspection.
Welcome to the forum, and a nice looking truck!

Old 06-20-2013, 08:18 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
A electric fan will cool much more efficiently than a mechanical one. Make sure the upper and lower air dam rubber seals are installed to keep air from going around the radiator. You may want to consider a new radiator with built in tranny cooler, water to fluid is more efficient/stable than air to fluid, and in KY I'd expect you might want AC. There are a couple late models that fit and work well. IIRC one is a MOPAR pickup unit, don't know the year(s) or model(s). Mine is a Walker brass replacement unit, it has a built in tranny cooler but I'm not using it since I'm running a T56 6 speed stick. With the 5th and 6th OD and 3.70 rear my CSB 400 gives 25-28 MPG at above most interstate posted speeds. Unless you are going street racing I'd expect a rear ratio in the 3.0 to 3.3 range would be most suitable for cruising the interstates.
There are easily calibrated electronic digital sender speedometers, and even GPS ones that need no connections other than power. There are even dual faced ones that are both tach and speedometer in one case that will go directly in place of your tach.
The recommended MF catalog is about as good and in some ways better (covers mods as well as OEM) than a shop manual, and did I mention it's FREE? Get one, you'll be impressed.

Old 06-20-2013, 10:30 AM
Jag Red 54
Logistics Pro
You have obviously made a big mistake! Sell it to me. Nice truck. I'm jealous both of the truck and the fact that you have a lift! Good luck, Jag

Old 06-20-2013, 03:30 PM
ben73058
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Welcome Aboard Lilrobo! It's a good group here - let us know what you find when you get it up on the rack.

Nice looking truck!

Ben in Austin
1950 F1

Old 06-20-2013, 04:41 PM
oldmerc
oldmerc
Looks nice . get it inspected and offer $7500.00 to see how hungry he is .

Old 06-20-2013, 09:08 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Hey Allen your late to the party, he already bought it for 10.

Quick Reply: need a little info guys