1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

My first attempt at real body work--Painted!

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 04:38 PM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts
My first attempt at real body work--Painted!

After seeing Bill getting after his rust problem, and races getting rained out, I was inspired to get after mine means I had a free day. This is the only rust on the body except the tailgate, whose replacement isn't far behind. I took a few pics, now realize, this is my first time putting bondo on. I have patched in a panel or two before, but that's it, never did any finish work. Those were rough patches on a race car too.

I've got two coats of bondo on now, with sanding inbetween the two. It's not gonna take much more after I sand again.

This was a good place for me to be doing this kind of work for basically the first time. It's down low where its not real visible. I think it will turn out ok, but I'm still glad it is where it is.

Here's what it started out like

a freshly painted picture

scrap quarter panel from a 66 fairlane 4 door. My donor piece.

Piece is bent and tacked on in a few places. I drilled 5 holes in the bottom lip and welded it through them to fasten there. I took about an hour welding it on, tack here, tack there, move, cool, etc., to try to keep it from warping. All I have is a mig welder, no tig unfortunately.

Here's a pic after the second coat of bondo.

I'm gaining, probably wait till next weekend to move on. I've got primer, paint, and clear in the ol' rattle cans so I'm good to go I think.

Old 06-09-2013, 06:14 PM
fordman67
Hotshot
Received 398 Likes on 269 Posts
Heck yea! Good going!

Old 06-09-2013, 08:54 PM
stainlessstroker95
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That should turn out just fine. Thats not bad if thats all the rust you have.

Old 06-09-2013, 09:12 PM
fordpride
Post Fiend
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Looks good.

Old 06-09-2013, 09:58 PM
ReBilld
Hotshot
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks good Darin! I'm no body man either LOL! But, I got mine done today. You can't see all the imperfections in the pics, but it's better than it was LOL!
Here's what I started with, and how it turned out......

Old 06-09-2013, 10:12 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
Looks good Darin!

Yours too Bill!

Old 06-09-2013, 10:15 PM
Skip1970
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
boy that looks a million times better then spray foam and bondo! u need to teach them ohio used car dealers how to do it right!

Old 06-09-2013, 10:50 PM
stainlessstroker95
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah that turned out good Bill.

Old 06-09-2013, 11:05 PM
ReBilld
Hotshot
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks guys! Sorry Darin, I wasn't trying to hijack your thread, just giving you some more inspiration! LOL!!

Old 06-10-2013, 04:40 AM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts
No problem Bill! Yours looks great! I hope mine turns out that good.

Thanks for the comments guys. Gabe, the main reason that is all the rust is I haven't driven it in the winter months for years. Keep that darn salt off of it!

Old 06-10-2013, 07:53 AM
tshrager
Lead Driver
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Darin and Bills look great. When I come down to Bills this summer, I think we will be doing patch panels on my rig! Anyone want to tag along?

Old 06-10-2013, 08:05 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That looks good Darin (yours too Bill)! I have been honing my skills on my "Toy Car" these last couple weeks and I actually spent the better part of the weekend repainting the car in my shop. I learned a few things in the process, which was my goal. I welded in a patch (very similar to what you did) pulled a couple dents, filled a couple small ones and got really handy with a roll of masking tape and a razor blade. All in all, I am pleased with how it has turned out so far.

I'm not ready to admit yet what I am doing to it for paint, until I see how it looks in the sunshine, lol. It's still in the shop today. The paint was dry but it's raining here and I just couldn't bring myself to drive it to work in the rain the first day out of the "paint booth".

I figured that I would practice on this car before I start on the truck. I'd rather make my mistakes on this little beater than on my truck! I have the patch panels for the truck bed and all the OEM panels I need to replace everything on the truck so it's only a matter of time and money that keeps me from getting started.

Keep the pictures and advice coming so we can all learn this stuff together.

Old 06-10-2013, 08:09 AM
tshrager
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by DIYMechanic
That looks good Darin (yours too Bill)! I have been honing my skills on my "Toy Car" these last couple weeks and I actually spent the better part of the weekend repainting the car in my shop. I learned a few things in the process, which was my goal. I welded in a patch (very similar to what you did) pulled a couple dents, filled a couple small ones and got really handy with a roll of masking tape and a razor blade. All in all, I am pleased with how it has turned out so far.

I'm not ready to admit yet what I am doing to it for paint, until I see how it looks in the sunshine, lol. It's still in the shop today. The paint was dry but it's raining here and I just couldn't bring myself to drive it to work in the rain the first day out of the "paint booth".

I figured that I would practice on this car before I start on the truck. I'd rather make my mistakes on this little beater than on my truck! I have the patch panels for the truck bed and all the OEM panels I need to replace everything on the truck so it's only a matter of time and money that keeps me from getting started.

Keep the pictures and advice coming so we can all learn this stuff together.
Got a spare set of OEM fenders? I think my old boss is going to hook me up with some Chinese replacements that he has laying around, but I'd prefer to do OEM if I can.

Old 06-10-2013, 08:44 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tshrager
Got a spare set of OEM fenders? I think my old boss is going to hook me up with some Chinese replacements that he has laying around, but I'd prefer to do OEM if I can.
No I don't unfortunately. Had you asked a year ago, I could have sold you a good solid set, but they're long gone now. I will keep my eye open for a set if you need them though. I do have an extra set of front doors that I could part with though if you know anybody locally that needs them.

Old 06-10-2013, 09:41 AM
tshrager
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by DIYMechanic
No I don't unfortunately. Had you asked a year ago, I could have sold you a good solid set, but they're long gone now. I will keep my eye open for a set if you need them though. I do have an extra set of front doors that I could part with though if you know anybody locally that needs them.
No worries. The MIC replacements should be free and should look better than what I have now. Passenger door is showing some rot on the bottom. Ill text you a photo and you can let me know if the one you have is better. Thanks Nate!

Sorry Darin...

Quick Reply: My first attempt at real body work--Painted!