6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Parked on hill and truck started sliding down!

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 02:15 AM
2012F250SUPERDUTY4X4
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Parked on hill and truck started sliding down!

Today I visited a buddy who lives on a pretty steep hill.
I always set my E-brake while in Neutral to make sure it's holding the truck before sliding it into park. So I got out and unloaded a few things and was in his garage. I heard a skidding sound outside, I was about 40 feet away from it when I looked out my truck was skidding down the hill!
I ran out and to the drivers door, opened it and pressed on the brakes with left hand right when it hit the bottom of the hill and it barely stopped from hitting the blue car parked on bottom of the hill. Next time if I stop on this hill I'll make sure it''s nose up hill and make sure I have 4X4 engaged to have all wheels locked up. I know this probably happened because the lack of weight on the rear wheels but ***** this was a pretty crazy scare with only 7800 miles on her!

You can see the skid marks from my rear wheels, my friend lives in the middle of the block.

Old 06-04-2013, 06:53 AM
djousma
Cargo Master
Received 908 Likes on 328 Posts
Wow! That hill almost calls for air-craft quality wheel chocks.... glad you didnt damage your baby.

Old 06-04-2013, 07:20 AM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
darn ford sub standard brakes !!! teehee

maybe there's a reason that's not really a street but looks like an alley - is that mini-san fran ?

ya think maybe that's why ALL the other cars are parked at the bottom of the hill...?!?

Old 06-04-2013, 07:54 AM
gsxr1300
Posting Guru
looks like the brakes worked fine,(the rear wheels didnt turn) just no weight on the back wheels with the nose pointed down the hill

Old 06-04-2013, 08:18 AM
2ndStroke
Lead Driver
Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts
Nice burnout!!!

Old 06-04-2013, 10:48 AM
tolliewolly
Laughing Gas
dang! I am glad you got it stopped before it hit the blue car. Keep us posted and also glad your ok.

Old 06-04-2013, 02:31 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
At least your parking brakes works.

I carry a set of these in my truck.....actually, our entire fleet is required to have these things.

ValleyVet.com - Image Detail

Old 06-04-2013, 05:34 PM
2012F250SUPERDUTY4X4
Senior User
Originally Posted by djousma
Wow! That hill almost calls for air-craft quality wheel chocks.... glad you didnt damage your baby.
Tell me about it!

Originally Posted by jdadamsjr
darn ford sub standard brakes !!! teehee

maybe there's a reason that's not really a street but looks like an alley - is that mini-san fran ?

ya think maybe that's why ALL the other cars are parked at the bottom of the hill...?!?
This is in Crockett, CA, right by the Carquines Bridge . I was unloading a few things and cars barely use the road. I've parked uphill without 4x4 and it was fine since there was weight on the rear wheels. I was parked downhill that day.

Originally Posted by gsxr1300
looks like the brakes worked fine,(the rear wheels didnt turn) just no weight on the back wheels with the nose pointed down the hill
Exactly.

Originally Posted by 2ndStroke
Nice burnout!!!
Not the kind I wanted but thank you sir! lol

Originally Posted by tolliewolly
dang! I am glad you got it stopped before it hit the blue car. Keep us posted and also glad your ok.
I am glad also, I am ok but still have replays in my head of the truck sliding down the hill.

Originally Posted by Shake-N-Bake
At least your parking brakes works.

I carry a set of these in my truck.....actually, our entire fleet is required to have these things.

ValleyVet.com - Image Detail
You know Greg! I been looking for some on craigslist

It was about a 35-40 degree grade so pretty steep.

Old 06-04-2013, 05:41 PM
sobiloff
Freshman User
In the future, turn your wheels towards the curb when you park on a steep hill. If you're pointed up-hill, turn them towards the left. If you're pointed down-hill, turn them towards the right.

Glad you didn't end up t-boning that blue car!

Old 06-04-2013, 07:11 PM
Ex Factor
Junior User
That looks like a boat ramp I use at Kentucky lake. Have seen worse at lake ozarks!

Old 06-04-2013, 07:34 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by 2012F250SUPERDUTY4X4
You know Greg! I been looking for some on craigslist

It was about a 35-40 degree grade so pretty steep.
Yeah, that was pretty steep. Looked like a ski run...just without the snow.

The best price I've found is the Sears catalog. I think you can order them online and then pick up at your local store.

MAXXTOW 70073, Heavy Duty Solid Rubber Wheel Chock with Eyebolt - Automotive - Towing Accessories - Specialty Towing Accessories

I cut a length of rope and somehow fashion it into a circle about 10"-12" in diameter. I then lace it through the eyelet in the wheel chock so I have a carrying and/or pull handle. Works great!

Old 06-04-2013, 08:12 PM
FTE Herman
Post Fiend
I always wondered if this could happen, now I know.

Old 06-04-2013, 09:09 PM
Ferguson65
Logistics Pro
Received 200 Likes on 85 Posts
Glad you stopped it before it hit something.

I'd love to say I never knew the feeling, but I do...................We had a interesting winter here a few years back that left us with about 6 inches of snow, enough ice on top to support the weight of my 04 F150, and then another two inches of snow on top. I had pulled into the farmyard at my grandparents farm to go fool with a Jeep in the shed. It was downhill from the road, never put the truck in 4x4..........................I was sitting in the jeep with the hood up against the windshield when I heard my girlfriend screaming, got out of the jeep fast as I could.................truck was sliding on the ice toward the woods, luckily my brother was able to chase it down before it got there, and hit the brakes. It was only on a slight grade.

It's certainly a scary feeling!

Old 06-05-2013, 12:08 AM
Tim Young
Hotshot
Received 3,564 Likes on 1,425 Posts
Man if that was mine I would have had to just stand and watch as the shape my knees are in I would have never caught it.

I had a similar thing happen one time. I was loading a small backhoe on a flat bed trailer and just as I got the back tires of the backhoe on the trailer the truck trailer and backhoe all started down the hill. I had to think quick and and back off the trailer, although the hill wasn't nearly as steep.

Old 06-05-2013, 09:31 AM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Fergie - your fun reminded me of a time sitting at a stop light in a rental in denver one winter...

sitting there with foot on brakes waiting for light to change and all of a sudden I felt the back end slip toward the shoulder !!!!!!!!!!!

Being from DFW and rarely ices, it was QUITE fun !
to heck with the light, get off the brakes and slowly use drive wheels to pull me back ...

Quick Reply: Parked on hill and truck started sliding down!