1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

What would be the best truck for me?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2013, 11:47 PM
AlanMac
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What would be the best truck for me?

Hey guys, while I'm working on my 2WD 86 F250 XL (460 cu.in.), I'm sort of thinking of looking for a different truck. This is my first truck and I bought it a few months ago. Kind of had to make a quick purchase because the old SUV was breaking down, so I didn't get to take much time to consider what I really wanted. It's a good truck, but maybe not quite the truck for me. Can I get some opinions/advice based on what I "think" is important to me? I say think, cuz I'm not all that sure these "wants" are practical.

Here's what I "think" I want:

1) 4WD. Not that I will be doing much off road driving, but I would like the option when I go fishing. I also like the look of a truck that's a little higher off the ground and has off road knobby tires.
2) Long bed for hauling stuff to the dumps and back from the hardware store vs. a short bed. Not sure how important this should be to me. Any of you with short beds ever wish you had a longer bed?
3) Good paint job or body in good enough shape to have it painted and look nice.
4) Gas mileage. Not critical, but I would like to get a little better than horrible. I think 7 mpg is horrible (what I got last time I checked). 10 would be better.
5) Easy to work on. This is important to me. I not only would like to save money by doing some of the engine work myself, but I enjoy learning about it.
6) Doesn't have to be the biggest engine, but don't want a whimp (if they even exist) either.
7) Other things I'm not thinking of. I'm sure there are some important considerations or problems with certain years/models that would be good to avoid.

Any advice you guys could offer would be greatly appreciated.

I think I will post this same question in the Dentsides forum since I like the look of those also...so any arguments for a bullnose vs a dentside would be appreciated also. Thanks.

Old 05-13-2013, 04:50 AM
Ford F834
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Lightbulb

Personally, I will never own another full-size 2wd truck. 4x4 is not just for off roading. It is amazing to me how easy it is to get a 2wd truck stuck... particularly if it has an open (non-limited slip) differential. Even a very slight slope with wet grass, pine needles, loose gravel etc., can spell trouble. A good LS differential will help, but nothing beats 4x4. No more engine gunning and sliding around.

Long bed vs. short bed is a trade off with cargo space and maneuverability. You make no mention of cab type (single/extended/crew) which you should think about. Note that ALL shortbeds of this era will be F100's and F150's so their load capacity will be less. If you are thinking of hauling or towing with it, an F250/F350 will probably serve you better.

Engine wise, most of these are fairly simple, but personally I would side-step anything with a feedback carburetor, or plan on doing the duraspark II convetsion to it. The 400 and its de-stroked counterpart the 351M are not bad engines, but are a bit disappointing power wise for the amount of fuel they use. A built up 400 is another story, but stockers are mediocre. The windsor 302 is high revving and can be fuel efficient in a light truck with the right gearing, but its power band and torque make it a poor choice for heavy trucks or for hauling. The windsor 351 has a lot more grunt and torque than the 302, and more horses than an inline six, and medium fuel efficiency. Probably the best gas 8 cyl if you dont need huge power. The 300 six is very simple and almost indestructible, one of my favorite ford engines, but 300 cubes is limiting. They are low revving, slow with torque. Most complain that they don't have enough power, but they will get you there... the fact that ford put them in F350's should say something! The 460 you already know about, but I will say that you should be getting 10 mpg out of it. Less than that and there is a problem (or you really like romping on the skinny pedal).

The "other" option is the 6.9 diesel. Doggy upper end and loud, but simple, built like a panzer tank and capable of huge power upgrades if you are so inclined. I have F350 crew cab 4x4, 6.9 diesel 4speed and get 17 mpg empty. Lighter trucks with tall gearing hit low 20's. Note that worn injector pump/ injectors and a low gearing can put these trucks in the 10-12 mpg range, so choose carefully. The other plus is longevity. It is not uncommon to get 400,000 miles out of a well maintained 6.9. Diesels of this vintage are a bit of an aquired taste, but worth considering.

Old 05-13-2013, 11:42 AM
Ford F834
Postmaster
...I noticed that your profile header says you are in the California Bay Area, so something like a duraspark II conversion might not be emissions legal for you. Definitely look for a late EFI truck, or earlier duraspark model (pre-1983??). If you go with the 6.9 diesel it will be emissions exempt in your state... But watch the curb weight, some of those diesels can put you in a nasty weight bracket for the registration surcharge.

Old 05-13-2013, 11:46 AM
AlanMac
Junior User
Originally Posted by Ford F834
Personally, I will never own another full-size 2wd truck. 4x4 is not just for off roading. It is amazing to me how easy it is to get a 2wd truck stuck... particularly if it has an open (non-limited slip) differential. Even a very slight slope with wet grass, pine needles, loose gravel etc., can spell trouble. A good LS differential will help, but nothing beats 4x4. No more engine gunning and sliding around.

Long bed vs. short bed is a trade off with cargo space and maneuverability. You make no mention of cab type (single/extended/crew) which you should think about. Note that ALL shortbeds of this era will be F100's and F150's so their load capacity will be less. If you are thinking of hauling or towing with it, an F250/F350 will probably serve you better.

Engine wise, most of these are fairly simple, but personally I would side-step anything with a feedback carburetor, or plan on doing the duraspark II convetsion to it. The 400 and its de-stroked counterpart the 351M are not bad engines, but are a bit disappointing power wise for the amount of fuel they use. A built up 400 is another story, but stockers are mediocre. The windsor 302 is high revving and can be fuel efficient in a light truck with the right gearing, but its power band and torque make it a poor choice for heavy trucks or for hauling. The windsor 351 has a lot more grunt and torque than the 302, and more horses than an inline six, and medium fuel efficiency. Probably the best gas 8 cyl if you dont need huge power. The 300 six is very simple and almost indestructible, one of my favorite ford engines, but 300 cubes is limiting. They are low revving, slow with torque. Most complain that they don't have enough power, but they will get you there... the fact that ford put them in F350's should say something! The 460 you already know about, but I will say that you should be getting 10 mpg out of it. Less than that and there is a problem (or you really like romping on the skinny pedal).

The "other" option is the 6.9 diesel. Doggy upper end and loud, but simple, built like a panzer tank and capable of huge power upgrades if you are so inclined. I have F350 crew cab 4x4, 6.9 diesel 4speed and get 17 mpg empty. Lighter trucks with tall gearing hit low 20's. Note that worn injector pump/ injectors and a low gearing can put these trucks in the 10-12 mpg range, so choose carefully. The other plus is longevity. It is not uncommon to get 400,000 miles out of a well maintained 6.9. Diesels of this vintage are a bit of an aquired taste, but worth considering.

Thanks for the information. That gives me a lot to think about.

Old 05-14-2013, 12:03 AM
AlanMac
Junior User
Originally Posted by Ford F834
Note that ALL shortbeds of this era will be F100's and F150's so their load capacity will be less. If you are thinking of hauling or towing with it, an F250/F350 will probably serve you better.
By "hauling" I just meant occasional trips to the dumps and bringing wood, etc. home from HD or Lowes. Nothing major, so actually the F100 or F150 might be a good fit. And I do think short beds are cool looking - and an occasional double trip to the dumps instead of a single trip ... who the heck cares as long as I'm looking cool while doing it! Thanks for the long post ... the info is helpful.

Old 05-14-2013, 08:39 AM
Ford F834
Postmaster
If you're just talking about "light" hauling, then by all means, go with the F100-F150. I love short box trucks, and since you live in the SF Bay area, you will really appreciate the nimble short wheel base for city driving and parking... and a 4x4 SWB is a really fun trail toy as well.

Old 05-14-2013, 11:50 AM
oneowner83
Elder User
But just think, you won't be able to haul a load of 16' 2X6s!!
One of my proudest Ford moments....extended cab plus 8 ft bed plus rear sliding window. Had the wood from the windshield to about 2 ft past the open tailgate!!