1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Newbe looking for info on jag swap

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2013, 03:26 AM
Rafe49
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newbe looking for info on jag swap

Hi everyone, been reading old threads about 49 f1 trucks and finally joined site. I'm looking forward to sharing info about our builds. My truck is a 49 and I've purchased a 83 xj6. Truck is in many pieces with a bare frame. I guess I'll have to put back together to determine tire location(apart when I bought). RTR

Old 05-11-2013, 06:04 AM
49willard
Cargo Master
Received 126 Likes on 64 Posts
Welcome to the forum! A number of us have or are installing Jag XJ IFS's. I truly believe that it is a good choice for our trucks, especially for the 48-52 years. What are your plans for your truck and your fabrication/welding experience?

Old 05-11-2013, 07:28 AM
Rafe49
New User
Just purchased mig welder and have installed cab corners. Plans are get cab ready then suspension,sbf, not sure about soft mount or weld ifs. I'll prob tack then get a pro for final weld. Jag IRS, tank under bed. Been seeing older builds, hopefully get more info on suspension,steering,brakes ect now that I'm a member. Thanks for invite,I've read about your threads and others, but they were old threads

Old 05-11-2013, 07:32 AM
Rafe49
New User
Any one near Mobile,Alabama?

Old 05-11-2013, 08:28 AM
49f3dls
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome try "Jeff and Nicole" build thread for the Jag info. I used that Nd a few others on my soft install and it took 2 good weekends to get it done but I'm slow at doing things have fun post pics We all like pics

Old 05-11-2013, 08:45 AM
Rafe49
New User
How do I find someones build thread

Old 05-11-2013, 09:02 AM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
Welcome to the forum! I have a link at the bottom of this post. It will take you to my build thread. I am dead with progress right now, my job is getting in the way...

Old 05-11-2013, 09:04 AM
Blue50F-1
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Use the "search forum" feature in the tool bar toward the top of the forum to find build threads.

I've got an 84 XJ6 front end I pulled from a donor car last summer (bought the stupid thing years ago, but it just sat). The plan is to do the swap next summer (just won't fit in this coming summer's schedule). I've been waiting to get around to this for forever, but I'll be excited to see your build, and/or contribute to the knowledge pool if you're still working toward your swap by the time I get around to mine.

Welcome to FTE!

Jim

Old 05-11-2013, 09:39 AM
Rafe49
New User
Thanks again everyone. My build will be slow. I'll have to get off I phone and print some build threads for my build and to show people that I may have to use for helping me with ifs IRS. Are there measurement I can use for ifs without mocking up cab and fenders. My frame is bare

Old 05-11-2013, 10:53 AM
48 Steel
Laughing Gas
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
Here is another build thread for the Jag IFS.

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums - 48 Steel's Album: 1948 Ford F1 Kustom

Old 05-11-2013, 11:18 AM
rhopper
Fleet Mechanic

I'm also using a jag ifs on an F1. Have some basic pics in my gallery. 49 Willard and I were discussing ride height on another thread. I recently replaced my springs with new, oe springs and my ride height is too high now. The frame at the front bumper used to measure 9 to 9 1/2 at the bottom of the frame. Now its at 13". The old setup was stock springs, all four shims removed, one washer between the control arm and spring plate. I was getting some mild rubbing of the tires on the inside top fender lip on big bumps. With the new springs, all the shims and one washer it's at the 13", too high. The new springs are stiffer than the old, the wire diameter is .020 thicker. I want to keep the ride height at about 11", which still looks good, but should solve my rubbing problem. I'm going to remove the springs, and remove the four shims. That will reduce spring preload by 1/2", lowering the truck by 1 to 1 1/2". I can always add washers between the control arm and plate to fine tune. When I'm happy, I'll post results.

Old 05-11-2013, 12:28 PM
ben73058
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Hey Rusty,
We used a spring spacer on the driver's side of our 1950 to stop the tire rubbing. It's a bit of a stop gap but it does work & you just forget about it after a while. We are going to get some replacement coil springs made as the longterm replacement. (We also just bailed & bought smaller diameter tires up front).

Ben in Austin
1950 F1

Old 05-11-2013, 12:49 PM
49willard
Cargo Master
Received 126 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by Rafe49
Thanks again everyone. My build will be slow. I'll have to get off I phone and print some build threads for my build and to show people that I may have to use for helping me with ifs IRS. Are there measurement I can use for ifs without mocking up cab and fenders. My frame is bare
On my 49, I originally used the plumb bob method with the original beam axle to locate the Jag with the wheels to be in the original location. I have my 49 up on my lift and I just took measurements. Using the furthest back front cross member to lower frame rail rivet centerline (note that the original angled steel that originally supported the front engine mounts have been removed on my truck), measure back along the bottom side of the lower frame rail a distance of 14 3/4 inches. That will be the center hole on the Jag rear K member mount if you soft mount as I did. It will be the location of the stud coming down from the rear original jag soft mount after you locate the soft mount and bolt it to the lower frame rail. I would locate/install the rear soft mounts first and not finalize the front mounts until you have the fully assembled truck with the ride height. when you have the fully mocked up truck, lay a level across the middle of the top surface of the jag crossmember and adjust to dead level. In my case, this meant approximately a 3/4 inch gap between the top of the steel surrounding the front rubber mount and the bottom of the frame rail. It can differ with the amount of rake (+ or _) that your final chassis sits at. Being level will insure satisfactory final front end alignment.

Old 05-11-2013, 04:03 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
I suggest reading my MIG welding tutorial:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-practice.html
Get about 6' of 2 or 3" wide 1/8" thick strap steel. Cut it into 6" lengths and practice running beads for a weekend or a few evenings. Just run simple beads on the metal, 2 or 3 beads per piece until you can consistantly run nice even straight 1/4" wide beads with correct penetration and profile. Then butt two pieces together, tack and weld them, following my instructions. By the time you weld ~ 20 pieces together your welds should be looking quite good. Next switch to 16 ga sheet and do the same. Ask an experienced welder to look over you practice pieces, but you should be about ready to take on any welding task. If you have any questions, feel free to drop me an email or PM (click on my user name in any of my posts and a menu will drop down.).

Old 06-12-2013, 07:20 PM
Rafe49
New User
Been held up with work and vacation. Hoping to strip the jag next month or so. What steerin column,radiator,brake booster,ect should I be looking for while I'm waiting. Can't wait to get a rolling chassis

Quick Reply: Newbe looking for info on jag swap