1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

Headlights won't turn on

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2003, 09:50 AM
adam1
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Headlights won't turn on

I just purchased a 98 Expedition from a friend. He told me that both headlights were not working and that there was a blown fuse that needed replacing. i've checked the fuses and they're fine. I replced the bulbs, still nothing. Is there a headlight relay that I could check, does anyone know where it is? Any suggestions? Help. Please.

Old 06-06-2003, 12:50 AM
Racerguy
Hotshot
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Headlights won't turn on

Hi Adam and welcome to FTE

There is one fuse under the hood and 3 under the dash for the headlights. There are no relays for them.
Next step would probably be to check for power coming out of the headlight switch on the red/yellow wire. If that is good then the next likely candidate would be the multifunction (signal, high beam etc) switch.

Old 06-06-2003, 05:42 PM
adam1
New User
Headlights won't turn on

I'm going to try check the connection on the headlight switch. Is there anything special or tricky about gaining access to the switch?

Old 06-06-2003, 08:38 PM
Racerguy
Hotshot
Headlights won't turn on

Here is what the fine manual says.......

Removal

Disconnect the battery ground cable
Turn the headlamp switch **** to the headlamp position and pull the ****.

Insert a thin tool to release the headlamp switch **** and remove. (There is a small cut out in the bottom of the ****. You can use a thin screwdriver or pick to press the tab)

Turn the headlamp switch **** 180 degrees and install. (Just put the **** back on upside down)

Turn counterclockwise until the back of the headlamp switch **** is in the OFF position.

Turn the headlamp switch **** fully clockwise.

Remove the headlamp switch. (just pull it straight out)

Pull the headlamp switch from the instrument panel.

Disconnect the electrical connectors.

Installation

NOTE: When the battery (10655) is disconnected and reconnected, some abnormal drive symptoms may occur while the vehicle relearns its adaptive strategy. The vehicle may need to be driven 16 km (10 mi) or more to relearn the strategy.

To install, reverse the removal procedure.

Old 06-07-2003, 03:41 PM
adam1
New User
Headlights won't turn on

I've checked the power coming out of the headlight switch and it was OK. You mentioned that it may be the multi function switch. Are we now talking about a much more extensive problem?

Old 06-07-2003, 11:04 PM
Racerguy
Hotshot
Headlights won't turn on

To get at the multifunction switch you need to remove the upper and lower steering column covers.....just a few screws.
Check for power coming from the headlight switch on the R/Y wire and then from the switch to the lights on the R/Bk (low beam) and Gy/O (high beam) wires.

Attached Images  
Old 07-03-2003, 09:50 AM
adam1
New User
Cool Headlights won't turn on

I'm sorry for the delay in respond time. I just wanted to let you know that I replaced the Multi Function Switch (only with your help) and the problem is solved. Thanks for all your help RacerGuy.

Old 07-03-2003, 10:58 AM
Racerguy
Hotshot
Headlights won't turn on

Thanks for letting us know what fixed it

Old 09-30-2003, 01:54 PM
Simonsays_101
New User
Hey guys, my Expedition had the same problem. I was searching the net, found your postings, and checked both the headlight switch and the multi-function switch and it turned out to be the multi-function. Easy replacement! Saved a bunch from taking it to the dealer! Thanks you guys.....joined the forum because of it! Next...steering stabilizer installation! Great people and ideas!

Old 09-30-2003, 07:38 PM
Racerguy
Hotshot
Hi Simonsays_101 and welcome aboard

Old 10-24-2003, 07:40 AM
speed2u
New User
hi guys,whats the best way to install headlight bulbs in a 2001 ford f-150? it looks like i have to take half the front end just to get to the bulb.

Old 10-24-2003, 08:23 AM
PaulC
Posting Guru
Open the hood and look for two black metal tabs with "L" shaped ends that are positioned above each headlight. The tabs have to be lifted up about 2 " to release the headlights. If I recall correctly, the tabs have to be tipped back slightly while lifted to release their built in locking mechanism. Once the tabs are up, the light housing can be slid forward and removed. Bear in mind that the wiring is still attached at this point. Removing the bulb is not hard, just unscrewing a collar holding the bulb assembly to the headlight unit. The new bulb must be ultra-clean, free from all contaminants, including skin oil from your fingertips. Have a little rubbing alcohol and a lint-free rag around to rinse the bulb just before reinstallation.

Old 10-30-2003, 10:16 AM
dakota_viking
Elder User
Talking

Racerguy, thank you very much for the schematic! It was a lifesaver to help me fix my buddies F150. We were beating our brains trying to figure it out, and thanks to you we did!

Great to have forums like this where others can help you out!

Thanks again!

Old 09-13-2015, 02:17 PM
Gamma6
New User
How to replace multifunction switch on 1999 Lincoln Navigator. Headlights won't turn o

Originally Posted by Racerguy
To get at the multifunction switch you need to remove the upper and lower steering column covers.....just a few screws.
Check for power coming from the headlight switch on the R/Y wire and then from the switch to the lights on the R/Bk (low beam) and Gy/O (high beam) wires.
Can you direct me to a manual or reference that has more detailed instructions on how to replace multifunction switch? Thanks!

Old 09-13-2015, 07:39 PM
alloro
Received 4,213 Likes on 2,449 Posts
Originally Posted by Gamma6
Can you direct me to a manual or reference that has more detailed instructions on how to replace multifunction switch? Thanks!
What vehicle?

Quick Reply: Headlights won't turn on